• The KillerFrogs

Anybody Paying Attention to NCAA Div. 2 Tarleton State?

texpat-ute

They took down Division 1 Stephen F Austin over the weekend and did so in a dominant fashion, getting a school record 676 yards offense. Could be one of the best college teams to watch in the DFW area this fall. At this rate they might beat Tennessee.:)

Pharm Frog

They took down Division 1 Stephen F Austin over the weekend and did so in a dominant fashion, getting a school record 676 yards offense. Could be one of the best college teams to watch in the DFW area this fall. At this rate they might beat Tennessee.:)

Tarleton is ranked in the Top 10 of D2 and SFA is picked 9th or 10th in the Southland. While it still ranks as a mild upset, I'm not sure anyone that follows this stuff was that surprised that the Texans beat the Jacks. It used to not be that unusual for a LSC team to beat a Southland team and sometimes handily. I think its become easier for some of the Southland schools to travel and to get other schools to travel in to play them so I doubt its happening much anymore but it didn't used to be that strange. There's a whole bunch more D2 football programs now so I doubt there's nearly as much playing up and down as there used to be. I've seen Angelo State beat SHSU and SFA and was in Las Cruces one year to see the Rams beat NMSU a week after the Aggies had beaten UNM (actually the Rams beat NMSU back-to-back years). I know that Kingsville used to beat up on most anybody that played them. Some of those West Texas A&M teams from not so long ago would have been favored against most of the FCS teams in this region.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
I grew up in Kingsville (Texas A&I at the time, NAIA) and both Tarleton and Stephen F Austin were on the schedule, as were Southwest Texas State and Sam Houston State.
It's weird to me that some of these schools are D1 now.

ATC Frog

D2 Midwestern State also best FCS Northwestern State in their house like 38-7 yesterday too.

Lone Star Conference gunna have some good football teams this year.

Pharm Frog

I made the argument last year on this forum that we should consider contacting Tarleton OC..

Well they actually have co-OC's but good news is that they both are familiar with purple: one being from Tarleton and spending some time at ACU and the other having a KSU pedigree. Which one you want?

Froggish

Well they actually have co-OC's but good news is that they both are familiar with purple: one being from Tarleton and spending some time at ACU and the other having a KSU pedigree. Which one you want?

Neither...it was a very bad joke and I believe the head coach is the actual play caller

TX_Krötenechse

Serious question: is an FBS OC job better than D2 head coach gig? I imagine the pay would be better and it would open doors to FBS head coaching jobs, but you also surrender a ton of program control and independence.

Pharm Frog

Serious question: is an FBS OC job better than D2 head coach gig? I imagine the pay would be better and it would open doors to FBS head coaching jobs, but you also surrender a ton of program control and independence.

Depends on what you want to do with your career. You are very correct on both your theories although there’s some D1 coordinators with a lot of independence. In the late 1980s and through most of the 90’s there was a D2 DC in Texas sought by both D1 programs and even two NFL teams...offers were made and communicated routinely but he never bit because he wanted a simpler life for him and his family and didn’t want to work with D1 and professional athletes.

Latest posts