• The KillerFrogs

QB prediction

Chongo94

I’m simply offering my opinion about the QB situation on a sports fan board, and that’s ok if it’s not agreed with.

You injected the point of him putting it on the ground, and now stating it was a freshman mistake. Freshmen aren’t the only ones who put balls on the ground. Reagor isn’t a freshman. The Jet wasn’t a freshman when he butt fumbled in Kansas.

Reminds me of the scene in meet the Fockers when Deniro asked Stiller that since he has nipples, could he milk him.

I do agree with you that Duggan is the QB of the future. IMO he’s ready. And I went on record on 247 saying I’m coming around to the idea of letting Delton start a few more games, but I think Duggan should control the game thereafter, as long as he shows that he can.

That said, I’ll go back to my professional job, which to be clear isn’t a QB coach, or coach of any kind for that matter.

Yeah, the turnover issues with this team last year and the first game this year drive me absolutely insane. I just don’t understand what the deal is and why this seems to plague the team currently.

Bruce Berry

The only reason to not play Duggan-short and long term benefit- is that he is overwhelmed. He wasn't overwhelmed last week.

That said, I think Cumbie and GP have better knowledge then me so I'll shut up.

Dogfrog

He also didn’t drive for any tds, either.

That’s a good point. That is a definite positive for Duggan. Delton pass to Davis was catchable, and Hights was interfered with in end zone but bottom line it didn’t happen. Also guessing any qb handing off to Barlow might have been successful. I’ll leave those comparisons up to the coaches.

LisaLT

I watched the game yesterday and it’s clear to me who is the better more accurate passer. The offense moved better and quicker with Max. No doubt about it. He has a quick release and good accuracy. Sure he missed a couple, but no one is going to hit 100%. Delton is a great athlete and it would be nice if our OC could design special plays for him to utilize his run capabilities. That is where he excels. He threw a few decent passes, but I saw a few wobblers and high throws that as others on here pointed out make it tough on the receivers. Even if Delton starts the game, unless he tears it up, there is no way he plays more than 50% of the game. I say more like 25, assuming the goal is to win the game.

Chongo94

That’s a good point. That is a definite positive for Duggan. Delton pass to Davis was catchable, and Hights was interfered with in end zone but bottom line it didn’t happen. Also guessing any qb handing off to Barlow might have been successful. I’ll leave those comparisons up to the coaches.

Barlow gets me excited, even with our established and capable backs.

Dogfrog

I watched the game yesterday and it’s clear to me who is the better more accurate passer. The offense moved better and quicker with Max. No doubt about it. He has a quick release and good accuracy. Sure he missed a couple, but no one is going to hit 100%. Delton is a great athlete and it would be nice if our OC could design special plays for him to utilize his run capabilities. That is where he excels. He threw a few decent passes, but I saw a few wobblers and high throws that as others on here pointed out make it tough on the receivers. Even if Delton starts the game, unless he tears it up, there is no way he plays more than 50% of the game. I say more like 25, assuming the goal is to win the game.

Don’t disagree but I think part of the decision will be based on how the OL is performing both run and protection. If the line is still developing Delton’s escapability would be welcome but if OL is running on all cylinders Duggan could be special.

4th. down

Vandy is not good, let's see what Purdue does with them and really , Nevada?

Max can run, we just haven't shown it ...........yet. He had multiple lanes open against APB and didn't take it.

Was watching Mayfield's games as a freshman vs SMU - Duggan actually looks as good or better.

At this early stage, gotta have a 1A and 1B and split snaps to get both confident and ready. One, you need QB depth for injuries. Two, having two styles allows you to adjust to what the defense is doing and force teams to prepare for both. Three, unless someone really sets themselves apart, it is most likely these guys are going to go up and down in game and in season and you have to have another you feel you can go to while giving the struggling one a time to clear their head. If one or the other emerges as a clear number 1 then great. But if not we have to be comfortable with the uncertainty at this stage. Doesn’t mean it will be an all year thing. Takes the pressure of both for the time being.

4th. down

Don’t disagree but I think part of the decision will be based on how the OL is performing both run and protection. If the line is still developing Delton’s escapability would be welcome but if OL is running on all cylinders Duggan could be special.

He will be special because Purdue is not any good and he is.

froginmn

He also didn’t drive for any tds, either.
He threw a ball 50 yards to Hights, who caught it then fumbled it at the 5.

He hit both Hights and Davis on their hands in the end zone.

I'll keep repeating that I don't think he'll end up being better than Duggan, but lots of the negatives on Delton were not his fault.

And I feel like people are judging Delton by a different standard. If he'd fumbled like Duggan, and if the duck fart that Duggan threw to the right side around our 20 came out of Delton's hand, I think we'd have heard a lot more about them from this board. Duggan had his share of mistakes too.

netty2424

I'll keep repeating that I don't think he'll end up being better than Duggan, but lots of the negatives on Delton were not his fault.

And I feel like people are judging Delton by a different standard. If he'd fumbled like Duggan, and if the duck fart that Duggan threw to the right side around our 20 came out of Delton's hand, I think we'd have heard a lot more about them from this board. Duggan had his share of mistakes too.
Delton is being judged by a different standard. He’s had three years in Division 1 football to prove himself as a QB. Now he’s in a QB battle with a true freshman.

Just as Duggan is being judged as a freshmen QB.

Is what it is.

froginmn

Delton is being judged by a different standard. He’s had three years in Division 1 football to prove himself as a QB. Now he’s in a QB battle with a true freshman.

Just as Duggan is being judged as a freshmen QB.

Is what it is.
Agree. But those three years of experience are also potentially a big plus against better teams.

Frog-in-law1995

That pass was a wounded duck that was well behind Hights. Had it been a good pass, he walks into the end zone.