• The KillerFrogs

FWBP: TCU to be venue for new professional tennis circuit

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWBP: TCU to be venue for new professional tennis circuit

Texas Christian University is one of the venues for a new professional tennis circuit.

With endorsements from the governing bodies of men, women and international tennis, California-based technology company Oracle Corporation has created the Oracle Pro Series, the company announced Wednesday.

The series, aiming to enhance tennis sport in the U.S., will hold 25 new ATP, WTA and ITF World Tennis Tour professional tournaments throughout 2019 and 2020.

Read more at http://www.fortworthbusiness.com/ne...cle_5b1709ea-cf34-11e9-92f8-072ba680afe1.html

Limp Lizard

I used to watch and play tennis. Then I stopped playing tennis, but was an avid watcher on TV. Then John McEnroe came along, and I got so disgusted by his antics I stopped watching tennis. I doubt I have watched more than 2 hours total of tennis the last 30 years.

I remember Colonial had a tournament in the early 70's and in one day I saw Rod Laver, Arthur Ash, Jimmy Connors (with his new-fangled metal racket), John Newcombe, Ken Rosewall, Stan Smith, etc. play in person...wow!

But this new tourney at TCU sounds great. Watching top players in person is much different than on TV.

BankerFrog

I used to watch and play tennis. Then I stopped playing tennis, but was an avid watcher on TV. Then John McEnroe came along, and I got so disgusted by his antics I stopped watching tennis. I doubt I have watched more than 2 hours total of tennis the last 30 years.

I remember Colonial had a tournament in the early 70's and in one day I saw Rod Laver, Arthur Ash, Jimmy Connors (with his new-fangled metal racket), John Newcombe, Ken Rosewall, Stan Smith, etc. play in person...wow!

But this new tourney at TCU sounds great. Watching top players in person is much different than on TV.
That's really a shame. You've missed an incredible last 10-15 years with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

jake102

What Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are doing is insane.

I also appreciate the sportsmanship in tennis, genuinely good people for the most part. 50% aren’t going bankrupt in three years

Wexahu

What Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are doing is insane.

I also appreciate the sportsmanship in tennis, genuinely good people for the most part. 50% aren’t going bankrupt in three years

I don't watch much tennis at all but when I do I am amazed at their skill. Returning a rocket serve from one of those guys HAS to be about the hardest thing to do in sports.

Seems to me the modern game, especially on the men's side, is too dominated by the serve though and it would be a much better game if they could do something about it (like maybe not allow overhand serves?). I watched parts of this US Open and the amount of points that are won on the serve is kind of ridiculous.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I don't watch much tennis at all but when I do I am amazed at their skill. Returning a rocket serve from one of those guys HAS to be about the hardest thing to do in sports.

Seems to me the modern game, especially on the men's side, is too dominated by the serve though and it would be a much better game if they could do something about it (like maybe not allow overhand serves?). I watched parts of this US Open and the amount of points that are won on the serve is kind of ridiculous.
You should switch to badminton. We already know you love the [ the old ricardo ].

Limp Lizard

Serve and volley was the thing in men's tennis even when I started learning the game in the 60's. That was the thing about women's tennis: a lot longer backcourt rallys. Don't know if that still pertains. Plus until Chrissy Evert, a two-handed backhand was rare among the top tier of players. That was seen as an amateur shot. Not now, though.

And yeah, returning those serves takes big-time reflexes. Plus I imagine the top players can read a serve like a pro baseball player reads a pitcher and takes a little guess.

Some may hate this, but there is an argument to focus on Tennis as the next athletics capital project vs. Baseball. There's a clear need for some clean up and sprucing, and a clear ROI for what it could do for TCU and Tennis.