• The KillerFrogs

Condensed Purdue vs Nevada Game

Eight

Purdue's offense was playing a lot like ours. Between the wide receiver screens, running east and west, and OL getting pushed around. You'd think SC was coaching two games on Saturday.

find me a college team that doesn't use the wide receiver screen in their offense

Wexahu

find me a college team that doesn't use the wide receiver screen in their offense

Just kind of pointing out something I've noticed with regards to the WR screens......when you run it from such a spread out formation like we usually use, the defense gets so spread out that their safety is usually right there to blow it up. It just doesn't seem like there is ever much room to really get much out of it and we're throwing into a crowd almost and then a guy has to throw a great block just to get 5 yards. And I think the safeties probably cheat a little outside against us because we attack the short and intermediate middle so seldomly, and that makes it that much harder. I don't know, but just scanning the field before the play it hardly ever seems like there's anything there to go after. I swear at times it appears the area inside the hashes is almost off limits to us.

Eight

Just kind of pointing out something I've noticed with regards to the WR screens......when you run it from such a spread out formation like we usually use, the defense gets so spread out that their safety is usually right there to blow it up. It just doesn't seem like there is ever much room to really get much out of it and we're throwing into a crowd almost and then a guy has to throw a great block just to get 5 yards. And I think the safeties probably cheat a little outside against us because we attack the short and intermediate middle so seldomly, and that makes it that much harder. I don't know, but just scanning the field before the play it hardly ever seems like there's anything there to go after. I swear at times it appears the area inside the hashes is almost off limits to us.

not disagreeing, but what you are describing are choices by tcu where and where not to throw the ball which is different from using the screen game.

my point was the wide receiver screen game is used by everyone in college football and to think tcu is the only school that uses it or features it is just not right.

hopefully we continue seeing tcu throw the ball down field like they did a few times saturday and they will throw the inside routes.

CountryFrog

not disagreeing, but what you are describing are choices by tcu where and where not to throw the ball which is different from using the screen game.

my point was the wide receiver screen game is used by everyone in college football and to think tcu is the only school that uses it or features it is just not right.

hopefully we continue seeing tcu throw the ball down field like they did a few times saturday and they will throw the inside routes.
Downfield passing is the key. Until teams feel threatened by our passing game then they'll continue cheating up and making it hard to run the ball or throw the quick passes.

We desperately need to hit a few downfield shots to force teams to play us honestly. Then all of a sudden a lot of those WR screens start getting you 5-6 yards and it sets up other things within the offense.

Eight

Downfield passing is the key. Until teams feel threatened by our passing game then they'll continue cheating up and making it hard to run the ball or throw the quick passes.

We desperately need to hit a few downfield shots to force teams to play us honestly. Then all of a sudden a lot of those WR screens start getting you 5-6 yards and it sets up other things within the offense.

i agree completely. the frogs have to be willing to attack down the field and pull the safeties back.

they can not be successful with everyone playing within 10 yards of the ball.

frogs have the speed at receiver, but will they be willing to use it as the season unfolds.

Horny4TCU

you don't watch many college games do you.
Maybe it just stands out to me, because no matter how ineffective the play goes, Cumbie still calls them, again and again. Maybe we just don't have the personnel, but then that goes back to the OC being stubborn and not designing plays around his players....

4th. down

Thanks League.

Mondale a bigger version of Turp but not as good. Purdue QB is an ok passer but not much of a running threat. Their offense looks similar to ours with a lot of short passes and sideline screens.

Will we beat Purdue? I don't know if we are any good or not,
but this game will help us determine if we got a chance at a 8-4+ season. As mentioned previously, we need a vertical game or the running is not going to be very productive. Switch the bubble screens to Pro Wells on the slant.

Delton will have a good game running the ball - the Nevada Qb is not a good runner and avg. 5.7 yds./carry.

Moose Stuff

Thanks League.

Mondale a bigger version of Turp but not as good. Purdue QB is an ok passer but not much of a running threat. Their offense looks similar to ours with a lot of short passes and sideline screens.

Will we beat Purdue? I don't know if we are any good or not,
but this game will help us determine if we got a chance at a 8-4+ season. As mentioned previously, we need a vertical game or the running is not going to be very productive. Switch the bubble screens to Pro Wells on the slant.

Delton will have a good game running the ball - the Nevada Qb is not a good runner and avg. 5.7 yds./carry.

Well of course Mondale isn’t as good as Turpin. He’s like 91 years old .

Bob

YouTube has a ton of condensed frog games. Search for “TCU one hour” or “TCU no huddle”.
I did a search on TCU no offense, these are some stories:

How bad is TCU’s offense? Worse than Kansas

TCU key spring issues: Can Sonny Cumbie get play-calling, offensive production back on track?

Patterson: Offense was 'no gimmicks' in low-scoring TCU spring game

Froggish

After watching the condensed version I came away even more impressed with Keeyon Stewart..He got beat pretty bad on that deep ball but he was money everyother time he was tested. He also wasn't afraid to stick his nose in the run defense.