• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘We left a lot of offense on the field.’ TCU’s Patterson reflects on Week 1 victory

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
‘We left a lot of offense on the field.’ TCU’s Patterson reflects on Week 1 victory

By Drew Davison

All eyes were on TCU’s quarterback situation in the season-opening 39-7 victory over Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Saturday night.

Kansas State graduate transfer Alex Delton got the start, and true freshman Max Duggan came in relief. Each quarterback had their moments, and coach Gary Patterson assessed the QB play as “good” after watching the film.

“We didn’t turn the ball over. No interceptions,” Patterson said on the Big 12 football coaches teleconference on Monday.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article234635837.html#storylink=cpy

LeagueCityFrog

I shared this before the season, Cumbie has a visible nervous tick or something while on the sideline during game days that Red Bull drinking, sunglasses wearing at night, Doug Meacham, did not have when roaming our sidelines.

When Gary goes into Coach P mode it only throws gasoline on that visible nervousness. Please have Cumbie join our other coordinator, Chad Glasgow, up in the box and please have coach 'cooler than ice' Luper send in the plays on the field with coach Kelly and we good.

Former TCU skilled players have shared that when coach Cumbie acts nervous around them in the middle of the game when he was on the sidelines at previous year's games that it had a bad effect on the players. Cumbie has gotten these quality kids to come here and needs credit for that, but let's not also freak them out during game day and keep them cool and let's pick up the pace and play in a rhythm and utilize these kids conditioning to wear out other defenses.

texas_sicilian

I shared this before the season, Cumbie has a visible nervous tick or something while on the sideline during game days that Red Bull drinking, sunglasses wearing at night, Doug Meacham, did not have when roaming our sidelines.

When Gary goes into Coach P mode it only throws gasoline on that visible nervousness. Please have Cumbie join our other coordinator, Chad Glasgow, up in the box and please have coach 'cooler than ice' Luper send in the plays on the field with coach Kelly and we good.

Former TCU skilled players have shared that when coach Cumbie acts nervous around them in the middle of the game when he was on the sidelines at previous year's games that it had a bad effect on the players. Cumbie has gotten these quality kids to come here and needs credit for that, but let's not also freak them out during game day and keep them cool and let's pick up the pace and play in a rhythm and utilize these kids conditioning to wear out other defenses.
Is that really true? Would make me nervous to know that our main offensive coordinator that’s paid $800k a year has a tendency to get easily rattled when Patterson gets hot.

CountryFrog

Is that really true? Would make me nervous to know that our main offensive coordinator that’s paid $800k a year has a tendency to get easily rattled when Patterson gets hot.
If that were a real issue then don't you think Patterson would know about it and either keep SC in the box or just leave him alone when he's on the sideline? Or do we just think that Patterson is a total moron?

BTW, I'm not saying that League City is lying about former players telling him that because how would I know that. But maybe those players were speculating and/or embeleshing more than passing along cold hard facts.

Let's give Gary Patterson SOME credit. He's not perfect but he's also not an idiot.

Fortress Frog

The only reason this doesn’t make sense (to me anyways) is that he was on the sideline the entire 2017 season. And we won 11 games that year. His first year calling plays. Now we weren’t exactly lighting up the scoreboard but we were efficient. That’s kinda why when he went to the booth last year and everything went south, I wanted him back on the sidelines. I have no evidence with such a small sample size how it really affected the offense’s performance but that’s been my observation so far.

HFrog1999

tenor.gif

Billy Clyde

Rewatching the game (sober this time) and it looks less dire to me. One thing struck me as interesting was the decision to kick a field goal from the 2 at the end of the first half with one untimed down because of the PI call against APB in the end zone.

Initially, I was kinda pissed they didn't give Max a chance to score a TD. On second thought, whether by accident or design, I think putting Song in there to put up a FG from a difficult angle was a great thing to do. Getting him in a groove, boosting his confidence early seems like a great idea.

Sorry for having a thought and failing to start a new thread.

Also, I've seen enough of #16. Give me Maximum Max.

Farmfrog

Can we all agree we didn’t play very good and move forward. There are many reasons for why but it isn’t important now. The only thing important right now is getting ready and beating Purdue.