• The KillerFrogs

Heartland college sports - Big 12 Football’s Week 1: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

THE BAD
TCU (BEAT ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF 39-7)
I get TCU won by 32 points at home, but they should have won by at least 50 on Saturday night because it was a sloppy performance overall by the TCU offense. The defense was great which is no surprise, but I am not sure where to start with this offense. How about the seven fumbles on the night. That’s right, SEVEN fumbles. Luckily the Horned Frogs only lost two of those but still, there is no excuse to put the ball on the ground that many times. QB Alex Delton struggled completing less than 50% of his passes but he did somehow manage to lead TCU in rushing with 67 yards. QB Max Duggan came in and looked better than Delton but he still made a few mistakes out there but that’s expected from a true freshman. The ground game was good as they rushed for 200 yards but between the fumbles and mediocre quarterback play, it was a sloppy performance by the offense. I have been on record saying this but if TCU decides to keep rolling with Alex Delton at quarterback, then they will have another mediocre season. I know I am being blunt but that’s just how I feel....

https://www.heartlandcollegesports....otballs-week-1-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Portland Frog

Never mind play calling for a moment, but comparing how OU executed their offense overall to the frogs in Week 1 is startling. Especially given the competition level difference. Yes it’s only one game, blah blah. But it was also only one game for OU too. Are they going to get worse in executing their offense as the season progresses?

Froggish

Never mind play calling for a moment, but comparing how OU executed their offense overall to the frogs in Week 1 is startling. Especially given the competition level difference. Yes it’s only one game, blah blah. But it was also only one game for OU too. Are they going to get worse in executing their offense as the season progresses?

I’m not justifying what we did on Sat as good but I think people are really misreading the context of the week 1 games. OU and others had games against opponents that were going to beat them if they didn’t come out of the gate firing on all cylinders. Lincoln couldn’t afford to hold anything back in the playbook because he would lose. TCU on the other hand scheduled an opponent that was beaten before the teams came out of the locker room.It was literally a scrimmage. GP and SC only wanted to lineup in their base sets and over power APB. The goal wasnt points, it was lining up properly and understanding the assignment. If we as a fan base should be upset or worried about anything, it’s that we couldn’t really over power a school like APB at the line of scrimmage. Not that we weren’t dazzling fans with all our creativity. We haven’t even seen any of the wrinkles in the offense yet. The context of the games were completely different and that’s why what OU did look miles more impressive then what we did.

The overreaction I’m reading on this forum are way out of line because people can’t see the forest for the trees. It appears we aren’t going to run the ball real well but there isn’t anything to take away from Sat..We’ll know where we stand against Purdue on the road in a context that more in line with our peers.

Moose Stuff

You’ve watched us play before..... You’ve watched OU play before.....
You can’t be even remotely surprised by them looking much better on offense than us.

That’s like a Tech fan commenting that our defense looks better than theirs.

BABYFACE

I am convinced that Lincoln Riley is the offensive equivalent to GP on defense. Since Riley’s arrival in Norman, they have been unstoppable on offense.

Obvious Troll

so some of you were surprised that ou got better quarterback play from a guy who has started a number of games for one of the best programs in the country, heck, played in a national title game than tcu got from a guy who couldn't start at kstate and a true freshman.
I know I was.

Froggish

so some of you were surprised that ou got better quarterback play from a guy who has started a number of games for one of the best programs in the country, heck, played in a national title game than tcu got from a guy who couldn't start at kstate and a true freshman.

Lincoln helped him...Notice they only went deep 1 time all game..Lincoln reworked his offense around QB runs and intermediate passing game while preserving there power run sets..Really smart stuff. Instead of trying to make Hurts into Baker or Kyler..he let him be Jaylan...

Eight

Lincoln helped him...Notice they only went deep 1 time all game..Lincoln reworked his offense around QB runs and intermediate passing game while preserving there power run sets..Really smart stuff. Instead of trying to make Hurts into Baker or Kyler..he let him be Jaylan...

i agree that riley did a great job recasting the ou offense to fit jalen's specific strengths and not try to make him kyler just as he did with not trying to make kyler play like baker.

ou still had some specific identities that riley has built his offense and we got to see how the tweaks he made to maximize jalen's strengths.

my single biggest disappointment about the tcu offense from saturday night was i saw a series of random plays basically from the same formation without any real identity.

i really wanted to see an emphasis on a more physical run game and instead we get inside and outside zone. screw the paranoia about showing future opponents.

everyone facing ou knows they are going to have to work to stop the counter trey and the cross buck action which means if you can't they are going to run those plays until the world is flat and if you can riley has counter moves built to attack the defense.

i actually didn't hate some of the things i saw in the tcu pass game and for those who don't want to see the wide screen game you really haven't been watching college football the past 5-10 years because that is in everyone's offense.

McGregor's Goat

I've noticed a lot of people basically arguing, "TCU wasn't going to show anything in this game, it was a vanilla game-plan." I think those people are in denial. I also think people overrate play calling a bit. In a good offense with well-coached players who know what they're doing, most of the plays are going to work against a team like APB. Oklahoma State, which has probably recruited at a bit lower level than TCU the last few years, probably couldn't score fewer than 50 against APB with the most vanilla game plan Gundy could imagine. I'm not saying that the season is lost or the offense can't get turned around, just that it was a bad performance by the offense and there isn't really an optimistic spin you can put on it.

Lincoln Riley. That is all.

I've noticed a lot of people basically arguing, "TCU wasn't going to show anything in this game, it was a vanilla game-plan." I think those people are in denial. I also think people overrate play calling a bit. In a good offense with well-coached players who know what they're doing, most of the plays are going to work against a team like APB. Oklahoma State, which has probably recruited at a bit lower level than TCU the last few years, probably couldn't score fewer than 50 against APB with the most vanilla game plan Gundy could imagine. I'm not saying that the season is lost or the offense can't get turned around, just that it was a bad performance by the offense and there isn't really an optimistic spin you can put on it.

I really like Gundy's offensive coordinator hire. Smart move by him. He goes and gets the best up and coming minds on offense and defense.

LVH

I’m not justifying what we did on Sat as good but I think people are really misreading the context of the week 1 games. OU and others had games against opponents that were going to beat them if they didn’t come out of the gate firing on all cylinders. Lincoln couldn’t afford to hold anything back in the playbook because he would lose. TCU on the other hand scheduled an opponent that was beaten before the teams came out of the locker room.It was literally a scrimmage. GP and SC only wanted to lineup in their base sets and over power APB. The goal wasnt points, it was lining up properly and understanding the assignment. If we as a fan base should be upset or worried about anything, it’s that we couldn’t really over power a school like APB at the line of scrimmage. Not that we weren’t dazzling fans with all our creativity. We haven’t even seen any of the wrinkles in the offense yet. The context of the games were completely different and that’s why what OU did look miles more impressive then what we did.

The overreaction I’m reading on this forum are way out of line because people can’t see the forest for the trees. It appears we aren’t going to run the ball real well but there isn’t anything to take away from Sat..We’ll know where we stand against Purdue on the road in a context that more in line with our peers.

So why did we not struggle against the likes of UC Davis, Stephen F Austin, Tennessee Tech, Portland State, Grambling, Samford, Stephen F Austin, Jackson State, Southern....

There are 3 years where we did not play well against our FCS opponent.

2009 vs Texas State - Didnt have a bad year

2013 vs SE Louisiana - Sign of things to come

2016 vs South Dakota State - Sign of things to come

2 of the 3 poor performances vs. FCS led to bad years.

Frog-in-law1995

So why did we not struggle against the likes of UC Davis, Stephen F Austin, Tennessee Tech, Portland State, Grambling, Samford, Stephen F Austin, Jackson State, Southern....

There are 3 years where we did not play well against our FCS opponent.

2009 vs Texas State - Didnt have a bad year

2013 vs SE Louisiana - Sign of things to come

2016 vs South Dakota State - Sign of things to come

2 of the 3 poor performances vs. FCS led to bad years.

We beat Samford by only 2 points more than we beat UTBP by. How’d that season turn out?

Latest posts