• The KillerFrogs

Max Duggan should be our starting quarterback.

netty2424

I never thought I’d say this, but I think having a second week bye is coming at a good time. We need to figure out our QB situation.

Here is what I would do:

1. Give Duggan the first team reps and plan to start him against Purdue
2. Have Collins and Baldwin split second team reps. Determine which one is better between the two and if either should be challenging Duggan for the starting spot.
3. Move Delton to a situational wildcat/option quarterback type role. He has some serious athletic ability and he can still be a contributor to this team.
Is Baldwin 100% yet?

4th. down

I never thought I’d say this, but I think having a second week bye is coming at a good time. We need to figure out our QB situation.

Here is what I would do:

1. Give Duggan the first team reps and plan to start him against Purdue
2. Have Collins and Baldwin split second team reps. Determine which one is better between the two and if either should be challenging Duggan for the starting spot.
3. Move Delton to a situational wildcat/option quarterback type role. He has some serious athletic ability and he can still be a contributor to this team.

It's going to take Duggan to beat Purdue. GP says he makes his decision based on Saturdays and he now says that he will be more involved in the offense so based on his statements, that means Duggan starts at Purdue if he holds to his present thought process.

Frogmore

The UAPB game doesn't tell us much. Frankly, that both quarterbacks didn't look like QB gods is a little concerning (and the drops need to stop). This was not a tough game. We should have scored 50-plus. I am very thankful for the bye week and hope that GP and Cumbie get the QB situation sorted out. And, yes, I believe he should consider Collins and Baldwin as contenders.

ronss

max duggans dad was the high school coach that max played under, and he was good. max started in high school as a freshman, and looked very good . he had some wheels on him, and was considered one of the best qbs in iowa in the last 2 decades. i was shocked to see he was playing as a freshman in d1, but i quess i should not have been, since he played as a freshman in high school. in iowa, 4a is largest and his school was on bubble between 4a and 3a...when he as a freshman, he played 4a, the large schools in iowa, and did very good. the last 2 yrs was 3a. max was special , not the type of player u see in iowa much, and i enjoyed watching him. max was very smart player that did not make mistakes, very mature for his age, did not get rattled , and understood the game . he also went to all the off season camps and i believe one of the qb camps he went too was offered by one of the pros......max has paid his dues

Last edited:

CountryFrog

I think we all knew that Max was a physically talented guy. The thing I was most impressed with was his command of the offense. He got the snap, scanned the field, and got the ball out on time. He wasn't always on target but that will come as he gets more comfortable I think. The thing you worry about with a freshman QB is that they won't know exactly what to do or will be indecisive. I saw none of that from Max. He honestly looked more decisive and in command of the offense than the senior but it was obviously a very small sample size and against a bad opponent.

Putt4Purple

It's going to take Duggan to beat Purdue. GP says he makes his decision based on Saturdays and he now says that he will be more involved in the offense so based on his statements, that means Duggan starts at Purdue if he holds to his present thought process.

I like your thoughts and intent for this to happen. I totally agree with you GP should do this but I think he holds the conservative card for at least one more game. The same process will happen this week as last week. Delton then Duggan to fill in and play. I hope I am totally wrong and you are correct on your assumption.
As far as being more involved in the offense I am taking that to be more of the play calling. The timing of certain plays called and players to be on the field etc...

flyfishingfrog

(whisper) Barlow looked like our best RB (ducks out of room).
This by far

Jet and Sewo have both had their moments of brilliance at TCU but neither have shown the consistency of a #1 rb on a team expecting to challenge OU

Barlow got yds Saturday in places that both our more experienced running backs were getting stopped for short gains

flyfishingfrog

Well known that coaches have apprehension about playing young QBs for 3 main reasons.
1. Inexperience negatively impacts the decision process (reading defenses etc)
2. The game moves to much faster the HS
3. Teammates aren’t bought in to their leadership

I think Duggan showed last night that none of those things are an issue. He made everyone around him better. Was poised and played with confidence. He made some bad throws but generally made all the right reads....what the hell more do you want?
I think this weekend showed that our staff is WRONG

Or they can’t prepare a young QB

True freshman came back to beat Florida State and Oregon plus about 5 others put up numbers we would die to have at TCU

Someone on our staff is chickens [ Finebaum ] about starting a true freshman and needs to get over it or get out of the room when the decision is made

Diehard

Drive 1 (Delton): 48 yds, FG
Drive 2 (Delton): 46 yds, fumble
Drive 3 (Duggan): 58 yds, TD
Drive 4 (Duggan): 25 yds, punt
Drive 5 (Delton): -7 yds, punt
Drive 6 (Delton): -3 yds, FG
Drive 7 (Duggan): 34 yds, FG
—HALF—
Drive 8 (Delton): 56 yds, FG
Drive 9 (Delton): 62 yds, FG
Drive 10 (Delton): 27 yds, punt
Drive 11 (Duggan): 62 yds, TD
Drive 12 (Duggan): 30 yds, punt
Drive 13 (Duggan): 35 yds, FG
Drive 14 (Duggan): 60 yds, TD

So we have Delton accounting for 229 yards and 12 points as well as a fumble. Duggan accounted for 304 yards and 27 points. The offense played better with him in even if Delton technically had more yards personally.

And that pretty much sums it up.

SnoSki

IMHO a big reason for the inconsistent offense Saturday is the fact that the staff hasn’t named (and stuck with) a starter at qb.

It’s the most important position on the offense, if not the whole team, And for some reason despite our entire spring and entire fall camp, our staff can’t seem to pick someone. You can’t convince me that this has no impact on the rest of the roster.

If it were my decision, I would name max the starter today for Purdue And give the team two weeks of practice to gel with him. If Max is going to be the starter at some point this season, then he’s going to have to learn how to play in hostile environments like Lubbock, Norman, Stillwater, and Ames. Why not start at Purdue?

Diehard

I think we all knew that Max was a physically talented guy. The thing I was most impressed with was his command of the offense. He got the snap, scanned the field, and got the ball out on time. He wasn't always on target but that will come as he gets more comfortable I think. The thing you worry about with a freshman QB is that they won't know exactly what to do or will be indecisive. I saw none of that from Max. He honestly looked more decisive and in command of the offense than the senior but it was obviously a very small sample size and against a bad opponent.

Comments about "missed passes" keep cropping up, but on two occasions that I recall where the ball was thrown to an area with no receiver one might think it was a bad rout by the receiver. Only the coaches know for sure, but usually when a QB drops back and quickly throws to an area, he is expecting someone to be there. Not making excuses, but overall the receiver play was poor, so........

Salfrog

Tier 1
I think this weekend showed that our staff is WRONG

Or they can’t prepare a young QB

True freshman came back to beat Florida State and Oregon plus about 5 others put up numbers we would die to have at TCU

Someone on our staff is chickens [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] about starting a true freshman and needs to get over it or get out of the room when the decision is made

That would be GP. He has always gone with experience over a true Freshman at QB. I agree with you also that I don't believe this staff can coach up or prepare a QB. Cumbie can't even come up with a decent game plan to utilize our players strengths, or make in game adjustments. If Cumbie's seat wasn't warm before the season, it needs to be nearly on fire now.

StinnettFrog

Was anyone actually present during practice. Maybe both showed more during practice and had an off game. Patterson will pick who he thinks gives us the best chance for a win so I guess we will find out against Purdue. Whoever it is hopefully the line opens some holes for the backs and we hold on to the ball.