• The KillerFrogs

Max Duggan should be our starting quarterback.

Froggish

Well known that coaches have apprehension about playing young QBs for 3 main reasons.
1. Inexperience negatively impacts the decision process (reading defenses etc)
2. The game moves to much faster the HS
3. Teammates aren’t bought in to their leadership

I think Duggan showed last night that none of those things are an issue. He made everyone around him better. Was poised and played with confidence. He made some bad throws but generally made all the right reads....what the hell more do you want?

Dogfrog

Well known that coaches have apprehension about playing young QBs for 3 main reasons.
1. Inexperience negatively impacts the decision process (reading defenses etc)
2. The game moves to much faster the HS
3. Teammates aren’t bought in to their leadership

I think Duggan showed last night that none of those things are an issue. He made everyone around him better. Was poised and played with confidence. He made some bad throws but generally made all the right reads....what the hell more do you want?

I liked Duggan but didn’t like the fumble he lost as it slipped out of his hand as he [ James'd ] to throw near the sideline. Lucky it barely rolled out of bounds before APB could recover.

Froggish

I liked Duggan but didn’t like the fumble he lost as it slipped out of his hand as he [ the old ricardo ]ed to throw near the sideline. Lucky it barely rolled out of bounds before APB could recover.

That was definitely a low light for him but he shook it off and kept competing..Glad it didn’t cost us

Frogmore

B
This is where I am too. Delton looked like the same guy that was at K-State to me. Leadership, work ethic and attitude only get you so far at this level, we need a QB and Duggan has far more tools to work with than Delton does. Size, decisiveness, arm strength, probably accuracy, all those are clearly in Duggan's favor IMO. Time to just go with it, move forward and accept there might be a bump or two in the road along the way.

Maybe Baldwin factors in somewhere, who knows.
Baldwin will absolutely factor in somewhere because he's better. If you want our offense to light up, go with Baldwin.

Salfrog

Tier 1
After last night, everyone can now see why KSU didn't block his in conference transfer. They knew whatever team he went to he wasn't going to be a threat to come back and haunt them. Besides, what others teams wanted him?

TRF51

After last night, everyone can now see why KSU didn't block his in conference transfer. They knew whatever team he went to he wasn't going to be a threat to come back and haunt them. Besides, what others teams wanted him?

Seems kind of harsh but you are probably right. I do think he adds value to the team in leadership and he is a good athlete. We can use him as a situational player and he looked decent. His completion % was bad but there were a lot of drops.

Eight

Duggan also was clearly not given the running portion of the playbook like Delton was...Had they let him show off his wheels some the yardage difference would have been non existent.

funny thing is that as i have continued to read some posters talk about delton being a dual threat quarterback and by playing both quarterbacks forces the frogs opponents to prepare for both i am really confused what you saw in the game other than one run did we see from delton on the ground.

no option game, no use of the quarterback in the run game, the offense looked sluggish and if you take away the long run at the start of the third and the long pass the offense didn't look very explosive with delton. (101 of his total 176 yards came on those two plays)

duggan missed some throws in the game. he missed the receiver (davis) on the deep route when he was behind the receiver, he had davis for the td late that he threw way too hard, and the offense just looked different.

he drove the ball down the field on some passes where receivers had a chance to make some plays (surprised i haven't seen any comments about hunt showing some potential after the catch).

the offensive line play has to get better, receivers need to catch the ball and block, but this offense also needs to start building an identity. i prefer the pistol to the offset and i really would be okay with no using the qb run as a staple. we need to stop worrying about how many different looks we give opposing defenses and focus on comiing up with a corp group of running plays (please add pulling linemen instead of merely inside and outside zone) and use the talent at receiver in the passing game.

Salfrog

Tier 1
Seems kind of harsh but you are probably right. I do think he adds value to the team in leadership and he is a good athlete. We can use him as a situational player and he looked decent. His completion % was bad but there were a lot of drops.

You're right, it was a bit harsh. Sorry for that. We had already seen what he could do in games, so last night wasn't a surprise. I never believed any of the bs that was coming out of fall practices that he was throwing the ball great. Especially after last years lies about SR.

I do agree also that there was alot of drops that didn't help his situation. He is a great runner, but we need a deep threat QB to keep the opponents defense from crowding the line of scrimmage.

TRF51

You're right, it was a bit harsh. Sorry for that. We had already seen what he could do in games, so last night wasn't a surprise. I never believed any of the bs that was coming out of fall practices that he was throwing the ball great. Especially after last years lies about SR.

I do agree also that there was alot of drops that didn't help his situation. He is a great runner, but we need a deep threat QB to keep the opponents defense from crowding the line of scrimmage.

I agree and the good thing is I think the Freshman is the guy you are talking about.

netty2424

Duggan also was clearly not given the running portion of the playbook like Delton was...Had they let him show off his wheels some the yardage difference would have been non existent.
That and the fact that Delton uses his running as a crutch to his some what lacking strength and accuracy in his arm.

GP was quoted saying something along the lines that Duggan was the best QB they have at working through progressions. It shows.

Any sign of adversity and Delton is on the run. Duggan is confident enough with his arm, he gives the play a little more time to develop if needed before bailing on it.

Wexahu

That and the fact that Delton uses his running as a crutch to his some what lacking strength and accuracy in his arm.

GP was quoted saying something along the lines that Duggan was the best QB they have at working through progressions. It shows.

Any sign of adversity and Delton is on the run. Duggan is confident enough with his arm, he gives the play a little more time to develop if needed before bailing on it.

If Delton is the guy, we need to run a different offense that is centered around the running game IMO. A much more sophisticated running game that involves way more than simple zone blocking handoffs. Honestly I don’t ever see us doing anything resembling that under this coaching staff. Not sure they are even capable of implementing or teaching it.

Chongo94

If anyone has recorded the game, I would be interested in their efforts to chart the drops for each QB’s time.

It seemed to me that most of the drops came when Delton was in but subsided when Duggan was in. Obviously that’s not scientific and maybe it was just coincidental but it sure seemed like that to me. But then again I could be way wrong.

4th. down

Duggan is the real deal. We haven’t had a QB that can go through multiple reads since 2015. Not to mention he has elite arm strength and a perfect release

APB aside, Duggan's on field composure and the way he handled himself was promising, plus his completion percentage was +- 70%, and that's with the drops included.

GP will probably go with Delton at Purdue but Duggan will end up playing more minutes. Not since Bokin have we had a QB that could go thru 3 progressions and complete the pass. His upside is way up. We will need him in Norman to have a prayer.

Planks

I never thought I’d say this, but I think having a second week bye is coming at a good time. We need to figure out our QB situation.

Here is what I would do:

1. Give Duggan the first team reps and plan to start him against Purdue
2. Have Collins and Baldwin split second team reps. Determine which one is better between the two and if either should be challenging Duggan for the starting spot.
3. Move Delton to a situational wildcat/option quarterback type role. He has some serious athletic ability and he can still be a contributor to this team.