• The KillerFrogs

There aren't enough threads about the offense...

Are you happy with the Offensive Play Calling?

• Total voters

Dogfrog

I loved the play calling...It was really good. I mean like National Title good. The things is, it was probably so good the players felt compelled to sort of just observe each other rather then contribute...

I don’t know how we are going to be able to keep Sonny much longer..

So you were expecting brilliant play calling in this game? Guaranteed in a game like this GP is going to line them up and evaluate personnel based on if we can whip them physically. That’s the only thing you learn in this game. I would say what it exposed is our OL needs to be a whole lot nastier. But the play calling? It was plain vanilla by design and we won by 32. Mission accomplished.

netty2424

That Duggan pass to Reagor for a 37 yd TD was an absolutely beautiful ball. Flight and trajectory were perfect, and it dropped right in and hit him in stride.

We are fortunate to have Duggan in this program. I would have zero issue with him getting the large majority of the snaps moving forward.

Dogfrog

Regardless of how bad or vanilla the play calling was, the execution sucked. Blocking on OL and perimeter sucked. WR hands sucked. Turnovers and fumbles sucked. Execution of all of the above can be better regardless of what play is called.

Agree and evaluating execution was the primary take away from this game. Execution can be improved.

Putt4Purple

It's been said by many coaches that the biggest improvement any team shows is between the 1st and 2nd week of the season. Lets hope that is true for this team.
That said TCU needs to run the ball more especially in the red zone.
The end zone fade needs to STOP as soon as possible.

Froggish

So you were expecting brilliant play calling in this game? Guaranteed in a game like this GP is going to line them up and evaluate personnel based on if we can whip them physically. That’s the only thing you learn in this game. I would say what it exposed is our OL needs to be a whole lot nastier. But the play calling? It was plain vanilla by design and we won by 32. Mission accomplished.

I was under no illusion that we were going to show Purdue anything of any substance. While it sucks that our base play sets are the same package of crap screens, fades and dives that we’ve always run, that’s not the really relevant to the discussion. You see, to judge the quality of an OC you have to compartmentalize him into 4 categories.

1. Can be recruit well?
2. Is his scheme good?
3. Does he teach his scheme well?
4. How does he perform during the game both situationally and making needed adjustments.

Your asking about number 4 which is probably the thing he does the poorest at. We can argue about plays all day and I have plenty of issues with SCs half ass Leach system, but I’m most frustrated by how incompetent he is at understanding how to call a game. For that I think he’s terrible. It’s just an opinion on a forum..everyone has one.

I’ll say this, he knocks #1 out of the ball park and he’s a hell of a guy...Sounds like he’s the Delton of OCs

Portland Frog

Regardless of how bad or vanilla the play calling was, the execution sucked. Blocking on OL and perimeter sucked. WR hands sucked. Turnovers and fumbles sucked. Execution of all of the above can be better regardless of what play is called.

This. CGP isn’t getting more involved in the offense because it’s a “well oiled machine.” He obviously has concerns.

RoyaltyWorePurple

This. Be angry we looked sloppy. Be dissatisfied with the perceived effort. As a former coach, playing down to competition is also a real thing that happens.

Dogfrog

I was under no illusion that we were going to show Purdue anything of any substance. While it sucks that our base play sets are the same package of crap screens, fades and dives that we’ve always run, that’s not the really relevant to the discussion. You see, to judge the quality of an OC you have to compartmentalize him into 4 categories.

1. Can be recruit well?
2. Is his scheme good?
3. Does he teach his scheme well?
4. How does he perform during the game both situationally and making needed adjustments.

Your asking about number 4 which is probably the thing he does the poorest at. We can argue about plays all day and I have plenty of issues with SCs half ass Leach system, but I’m most frustrated by how incompetent he is at understanding how to call a game. For that I think he’s terrible. It’s just an opinion on a forum..everyone has one.

I’ll say this, he knocks #1 out of the ball park and he’s a hell of a guy...Sounds like he’s the Delton of OCs

No, you’re missing my point. Situations and adjustments are important, but didn’t mean jack in this game. Just player execution. This game was player evaluation time.

Frogk

We called and executed the plays our coaches wanted. They did this for some reason we may never know. We won by a good margin. So let it be. Lets enjoy the game results. There are more games and plays to watch which may be more exciting or even great. Congratulate our young men (players) and coaches for what they are and what they do.

Froggish

No, you’re missing my point. Situations and adjustments are important, but didn’t mean jack in this game. Just player execution. This game was player evaluation time.

I get it...Your point is correct. This isn’t the game to judge to competency of anything...Tough not to though knowing SCs history

Horny4TCU

Shameless bump for more votes....

And if this doesn't help people get off their butts to vote, nothing will. To make the poll more entertaining, here is the best "worksafe" pole I can find.

c477720b025a8856d01e824cee2651ff.jpg

asleep003

We’ll see if your right but you heard his post game presser comments that he would continue to run the 2 headed system until 1 QB separates himself...Maybe he watches film and like many of us determines the race is over but I think there’s a pretty good possibility he gives it another game..again we’ll see
Guessing GP starts the first series with Delton, then it becomes Max's for the majority of the game, with Delton coming in for specific needs. If both get sloppy, then we may see a bit of Collins … he should be well by then.

Bizarro Frog

Maybe I drank a few too many beverages on Sat night but the sky is falling on offense was not one of my concerns. Seemed like Delton could have run for 400 yards if we wanted him too. I am pretty sure this was a game plan to see how everyone is going to play but at the same time show nothing for future opponents to use.

Our FG kickers looked great. Punt return team needs to get their act strait.

Go Frogs!!!!

Last edited:

Putt4Purple

Guessing GP starts the first series with Delton, then it becomes Max's for the majority of the game, with Delton coming in for specific needs. If both get sloppy, then we may see a bit of Collins … he should be well by then.

All you said I agree with up until you started with Collins. Nothing against Collins but IF we get to him the game is lost.