• The KillerFrogs

New season same Sonny Cumbie

Mean Purple

Hold off on your judgement until after Purdue. Ton of mistakes across the board. You’re not getting Fuente unless you’re replacing Gary. Stay the course!
I have to differ on the idea that you do t get jousting without replacing Gary.
Justin may be canned if he dies not get big results up there this year.

Mean Purple

I don’t get paid a fortune to be an offensive coordinator, but I’m thinking our plan from all of last year — run up the middle and don’t really make holes for the runner to go through — continues to work very poorly.
Some of the o line probes in run game go back to high school play. Too many schools, especially in Texas, have O line who very rarely put a hand in the dirt. Exploding into a block is not a main stay. So it becomes a matter of if they develop in college.

Klaw

I don’t get paid a fortune to be an offensive coordinator, but I’m thinking our plan from all of last year — run up the middle and don’t really make holes for the runner to go through — continues to work very poorly.

Agreed and we all wish we could get paid $800K to learn on the job. In my opinion, we need to go a new route with the OC. I have seen enough and it’s not good enough

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Things seen yesterday that I don't want to see again: 1.) The fade. I honestly don't know why this stays the first choice for goal line plays. We cannot execute it. Haven't since Doctson left. Bury it under the short side option with a stake in it's heart. 2.) Just kill the fade.

HG73

Hey Wes, I actually thought the play calling between the 20's was adequate for this type of game (opener, against a Div II program, not wanting to show too much, etc). Like the at&t commercial, it was just okay. But we did move the ball between the 20's I thought.

But some of the drops by the receivers were killers. And the red zone play calling left me shaking my head, again. I agree with most on here we really need to run the darn ball more in the red zone.

Hope you were able to enjoy the game with a fine whiskey and some purple Hoka's!!
Agree with this. I think SC and GP were more into evaluating the QBs than giving away our red zone strategy for the rest of the season.
What I want to know is our average yards per bubble screen. Is it even a positive number? EVERYBODY runs that play and they all make at least 5 yards/play. Seems like we always block the defender into the receiver and then throw him a hard to catch pass that puts him in an impossible position to run with the ball. It is usually closer to an interception than a completion. Just an example, Collins threw only two interceptions last year, both on bubble screens. Quick pass to the flat with no receiver around goes straight to an astonished defender. WTH! I like Mike, not bagging on him, but this play needs some work. If we never run that play again it's fine with me. Rant over.

Wexahu

Agree with this. I think SC and GP were more into evaluating the QBs than giving away our red zone strategy for the rest of the season.
What I want to know is our average yards per bubble screen. Is it even a positive number? EVERYBODY runs that play and they all make at least 5 yards/play. Seems like we always block the defender into the receiver and then throw him a hard to catch pass that puts him in an impossible position to run with the ball. It is usually closer to an interception than a completion. Just an example, Collins threw only two interceptions last year, both on bubble screens. Quick pass to the flat with no receiver around goes straight to an astonished defender. WTH! I like Mike, not bagging on him, but this play needs some work. If we never run that play again it's fine with me. Rant over.

There is a very large area right in the middle of the field (inside the slot receivers out to about 25 yards from the LOS) that is almost forbidden territory for this offense. I don't understand it but we seem intent on forcing things to the edges. The WR screens just absolutely kill me but my guess is they aren't going away until a whole new set of coaches take over. No creativity whatsoever in getting our RBs and TEs involved in the passing game. None.

Froggish

Teams that don’t run the fade all have TEs and FBs ....We run fades because we refuse to use TE/FB in short yardage situations. I would bet the house that teams with offenses that utilize those positions convert a much higher % of red zone opportunities. Spreads and Leach style offenses are built for big plays and to move the ball between the 20s. They all suffer when the field is shortened