• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Gary Patterson plans to get even more involved on the offensive side

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU’s Gary Patterson plans to get even more involved on the offensive side

By Drew Davison

TCU coach Gary Patterson is making sure his voice is heard when it comes to quarterback snaps this season. He added another offensive area to his list following Saturday’s 39-7 victory over Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

Patterson wasn’t pleased with how his tight ends and receivers blocked on perimeter plays.

“If you want to run the football, you have to block on the perimeter,” Patterson said. “If you’re not going to block, then you’re not going to catch. I’m going to be the guy who says who starts and who plays and how we do all this stuff.

“It’ll be the first thing I watch in the morning before I watch defense.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article234612287.html#storylink=cpy

robbroyy

Be careful in GP getting too involved. It’ll be harder to get a good coordinator to replace Cumbie if we’re replacing guys every 3 years and then not letting them have autonomy.

y2kFrog

Be careful in GP getting too involved. It’ll be harder to get a good coordinator to replace Cumbie if we’re replacing guys every 3 years and then not letting them have autonomy.

He’s been pretty hands off with Cumbie so far. I think his patience is growing thin with him. He went ballistic when Cumbie called the screen that got blown up right after the Moehrig interception.

DelFrog

The WRs couldn’t make a decent block on the screens/flares all night, but much more concerning than that was the fact that the OL got very little push vs the UAPB defensive front. The only part of the offense that was encouraging, was the area of most concern heading into the season.... the QB play. I thought both Delton and Duggan looked fine considering the fact the the rest of the offense wasn’t nearly good enough.

jack the frog

Understand your point but Gary needs to be up to his eyeballs involved in the offense at this point imo. Cumbie seems a little dense or stubborn or resistant to change and I suspect we could be on the verge of another year wasted if the goal is competing for a conference title and something better than the Okra Bowl. We have to develop a north/south mentality and imposing our will to run on the Arky Pine Bluff Doomsday Defense should have been an automatic.

My hope is that we have some power packages and wrinkles and frankly a new attitude in the pipe in terms of ground game and this game was simple a QB exhibition but that might be wishful thinking.

Limp Lizard

If you are concerned about running the ball, look at the OL on running plays. Looked to me like they got stuffed nearly every running play. That should not happen. At times it looks like we have fallen into the old soft way of blocking as opposed to, say Georgia, who I noticed fires off the ball and pushes people back instead of standing up and trying to get in the way of the tackler.

Mean Purple

Understand your point but Gary needs to be up to his eyeballs involved in the offense at this point imo. Cumbie seems a little dense or stubborn or resistant to change and I suspect we could be on the verge of another year wasted if the goal is competing for a conference title and something better than the Okra Bowl. We have to develop a north/south mentality and imposing our will to run on the Arky Pine Bluff Doomsday Defense should have been an automatic.

My hope is that we have some power packages and wrinkles and frankly a new attitude in the pipe in terms of ground game and this game was simple a QB exhibition but that might be wishful thinking.
You are spot on about the lack of North South offensive play.
We waste more yardage on plays behind the line of scrimmage. Just gives the defense time to move on the ball.
Defensive coordinators can plan for the leach system air raid because it is so predictable.

Froggy Style

I think Gary should practice when to call timeouts before moving to the offense.

Just play Duggan until it’s time to run out the clock. When you have great runners, you want the other team to play the pass and not stack the line. Pine Bluff had little concern if Delton throwing, and stacked the line.

Oh, and stop with the hurry up QB sneak!!! I would rather go wild frog. Get stuffed every time, we should have to count on a Houdini play to get a yard.

PO Frog

You are spot on about the lack of North South offensive play.
We waste more yardage on plays behind the line of scrimmage. Just gives the defense time to move on the ball.
Defensive coordinators can plan for the leach system air raid because it is so predictable.
Apparently they can’t plan for the Leach air raid when Leach is actually coaching it. One incompletion, 4 td’s, and 330 yards passing in the first half last night.
We don’t run the air raid from what I can tell.

Wexahu

This is a nutshell is the root of the problem IMO. GP turns the offense over to an OC and a group of coaches and apparently they can't do the job so he has step in. Can't Cumbie and the other offensive coaches figure out who is or isn't blocking, fix the problem, adjust personnel accordingly, and get it right themselves? In other words, COACH? I feel like we've made coaching decisions on the offensive side of the ball first and foremost on their recruiting chops and then tried to piece some kind of offense together with whoever we're able to sign, with no real plan on where this offense is going. I know this, if we want to run the Air Raid or something similar (which it sure looked like it last night), Alex Delton is about as poor a fit for that offense as you could find.

Froggy Style

I know this, if we want to run the Air Raid or something similar (which it sure looked like it last night), Alex Delton is about as poor a fit for that offense as you could find.
Agreed, our O-line are enormous for a reason, to sit back and pass block. Delton is perfect for running out the clock...assuming Duggan got you a big lead.

Horny4TCU

Apparently they can’t plan for the Leach air raid when Leach is actually coaching it. One incompletion, 4 td’s, and 330 yards passing in the first half last night.
We don’t run the air raid from what I can tell.
To run the Leach Air Raid, you have to think like a dirty pirate. If you aren't willing to drop a fake offensive game plan by the opposing team's bench during warm ups, you aren't there. Sit down, have a beer, smoke a doobie and try to think outside the box and not be predictable. Clearly working on creativity is something Cumbie hasn't done this summer.

TRF51

Cumbie is a good recruiter, we have a ton of talent on that side of the ball. We need to be better. At times the play calling is suspect going back the last several years. If we don’t see a drastic improvement I am okay with going in a different direction. I don’t feel good with Cumbie taking over if GP leaves.