• The KillerFrogs

Max Duggan should be our starting quarterback.

robbroyy

To be honest completing 45% of your passes against APB is not a ringing endorsement for any QB.
But for CGP, the biggest thing he worries about on the road is number of INTs.

Delton won’t do that.

Duggan is definitely the one with higher upside but at times the ball sails on him and that can’t hapoen on the road.

Deltons didn’t have any dangerous throws that I recall. His pocket presence was definitely lacking at times. I think he’ll be told to throw it away quickly next week.

That if the WRs did their jobs that this is a much different conversation. I’d be shocked if GP doesn’t go with Delton to start on the road.

Purdue at night is as dangerous as any game in Ames or Lubbock. Delton will start to avoid any huge jittery mistakes early on. He’s seen all the big time environments and Duggan hasn’t. GP doesn’t care if we win 3-2 and neither do I. Purdue here would probably be a 10-14 pt win. Purdue there we’re at best pick em and probably a 3 pt dog.
I don't know about all the betting odds and stuff you are pontificating but I do know what a college QB looks like. They played with the same receivers and same OC. One was better than the other so I think the one who is better should play.

Mean Purple

What needs to happen. Is the firing of some assistants. Key areas have not improved in 3 years. Folks can stick heads in the sand, but reality is what it is.

Last edited:

ThisIsOurTime

Disagree. Delton’s mistakes were more subtle, but clearer. If this game is to be used as a determiner for the next game, Duggan has the edge.
Right, but the coaches need to think about the season and not just the next game. Duggan is a true freshman and needs to be brought along slowly otherwise you risk a Shawn Robinson scenario all over again. We can afford to do this based on the schedule and should do it. After the next three games, we can reconsider taking the training wheels off. But right now, we don't want to jeopardize his confidence. It will do him good to watch some too just like it did Dalton years ago.

asleep003

[
But Duggan did better than Delton when both faced lesser competition, IMHO. We’ll see! I’m certainly not convinced CGP will start Duggan vs Purdue, though I think he should..

Not sure Max should start his first game, as a HS Fr, in a Big 10 Stadium … while we have a competent QB, with big stadium experience, to get the game Rolling. Now if GP wants to see Max do a majority of the ball handling, that would be fine too.

I agree AND I think that's one reason why some of his throws were dropped....didn't get there with enough oomph and arrived later than they should. Gave time for receivers to "think" and that's never a good thing.
There was that and there was the not throwing guys open thing. It looked to me that it was a combination of velocity and just not getting the ball out when the receivers were in their break giving the DB a chance to recover. And it can't be emphasized enough the talent differential between that team and most of the FBS teams we play going forward.

TCU1999

But for CGP, the biggest thing he worries about on the road is number of INTs.

Delton won’t do that.

Duggan is definitely the one with higher upside but at times the ball sails on him and that can’t hapoen on the road.

Deltons didn’t have any dangerous throws that I recall. His pocket presence was definitely lacking at times. I think he’ll be told to throw it away quickly next week.

There is one play that sticks out that cements Duggan as the starter for me. Not sure which drive, but it was second half, driving towards the south end zone. Open receiver, not the first read, probably second or third (I’m not ignoring how well he went through this progressions on his other drives, this is just what cemented him as the starter) about 10-13 yards out on the left side. Ball gets completely under thrown on a rope towards the “wide open” receiver. I must be insane! An incomplete pass to a wide open receiver cemented Duggan as the starter.

Go back and look at the tape (I only saw it in real time). I only saw it real time (from a much better vantage point than the field), but there appeared to be a UAPB LB or safety breaking on the receiver to pick the ball, and Duggan intentionally threw it short where the only two outcomes were incomplete or miraculous catch.

Now, I know there are a few wide open throws he missed, one much like the throw that Mahomes missed in the AFC Championship game to a wide open receiver (float the thing! You don’t get style points for velocity)... but that incompletion was the throw that told me your career TD/INT ratio means a lot, and Duggan is the QB to go with.

Wexahu

[

Not sure Max should start his first game, as a HS Fr, in a Big 10 Stadium … while we have a competent QB, with big stadium experience, to get the game Rolling. Now if GP wants to see Max do a majority of the ball handling, that would be fine too.

Boise State started a true freshman today at Florida State. He looked pretty good and they won. It was his very first college game.

Almost everyone here ridicules the Big 10 for being such an overrated league and we should be afraid to start a freshman in the stadium of a middle-of-the-pack at best B10 team? SMH.

texas_sicilian

Boise State started a true freshman today at Florida State. He looked pretty good and they won. It was his very first college game.

Almost everyone here ridicules the Big 10 for being such an overrated league and we should be afraid to start a freshman in the stadium of a middle-of-the-pack at best B10 team? SMH.
Wait, weren’t you against Duggan as the starter?

Wexahu

Wait, weren’t you against Duggan as the starter?

No, I wasn’t against it. I was against those claiming he should have been the starter before they ever watched him play a game.

I thought he looked capable and at least as good as Delton tonight but regardless that position needs to improve a lot for us to be any good this year.

texas_sicilian

No, I wasn’t against it. I was against those claiming he should have been the starter before they ever watched him play a game.

I thought he looked capable and at least as good as Delton tonight but regardless that position needs to improve a lot for us to be any good this year.
“At least as good”? He was the only one of the two that actually put points on the board, sadly as it may be that this was the standard.

Froggish

No denying that Duggan has all the throws in his tool belt..I could never say that about Kenny, Shawn, or Delton/Collins. While all those guys had/have good strong arms, Max has a release to die for..it’s wild no doubt but it gets there in a hurry and it’s very “catchable”.

One of the things we haven’t spoken enough about, is that the game didn’t seem to big for him at all. Kid didn’t even look nervous. He showed tremendous poise. Sure, the opponent was terrible but that was a true freshman playing in his first game. Perhaps that changes against better competition but at least for tonight, I never had a moment where I thought Delton looked like the “older” player..That really seem to be a non factor.

Finally..it’s probably my imagination but I felt like he made the players around him a little better. I thought they responded to him in ways they didn’t to Delton