• The KillerFrogs

OT - College enrollment boom?

Zubaz

When someone discharges debt through bankruptcy, the lender incurs the loss and passes on the expense to borrowers who pay higher interest rates. So, the cost of bankruptcies is already baked into the interest rates borrowers choose to pay.

Interest rates on student loans are artificially low because they are guaranteed with taxpayer money. That’s why they can’t discharge it through bankruptcy. That’s also why tuition is ridiculously high.

I think it’s very unfair to take tax dollars from a hardworking, responsible person who may not of even gone to college to pay off someone else’s college loan.
I'm not advocating either way, but I think you're not factoring in the overall effect that a population saddled with student debt has on the overall economy. These kids are graduating with a mortgage payment, and the massive debt incurred by students (at the government's behest, as you readily admit) is causing them to delay marriage, delay children, delay home purchases, etc all of which produce negative externalities for EVERYONE, including the "hardworking, responsible person". Relieving that debt, it can be argued, is better for everyone in the long term, not just those who took the loans out.

Paradoxotaur

I'm not advocating either way, but I think you're not factoring in the overall effect that a population saddled with student debt has on the overall economy. These kids are graduating with a mortgage payment, and the massive debt incurred by students (at the government's behest, as you readily admit) is causing them to delay marriage, delay children, delay home purchases, etc all of which produce negative externalities for EVERYONE, including the "hardworking, responsible person". Relieving that debt, it can be argued, is better for everyone in the long term, not just those who took the loans out.
giphy.gif

HFrog1999

I think it’s terrible that they have that much debt. I’m just saying that we’re in this position because of the student loan program. Paying off the loans with taxpayer dollars will just make the problem worse.

Maybe we should just seize the massive endowments these colleges have accumulated and use that money to pay them off?

YA

When someone discharges debt through bankruptcy, the lender incurs the loss and passes on the expense to borrowers who pay higher interest rates. So, the cost of bankruptcies is already baked into the interest rates borrowers choose to pay.

Interest rates on student loans are artificially low because they are guaranteed with taxpayer money. That’s why they can’t discharge it through bankruptcy. That’s also why tuition is ridiculously high.

I think it’s very unfair to take tax dollars from a hardworking, responsible person who may not of even gone to college to pay off someone else’s college loan.
So if I don't have kids can I make the same argument on paying school taxes for other people's children to go to school?

Zubaz

I think it’s terrible that they have that much debt. I’m just saying that we’re in this position because of the student loan program. Paying off the loans with taxpayer dollars will just make the problem worse.
As I said, I wasn't advocating one way or another, just pointing out the impact that a generation with a ton of debt has on the overall economy, not just those with the debt.

HFrog1999

So if I don't have kids can I make the same argument on paying school taxes for other people's children to go to school?

It’s a somewhat different argument, but sure.

We saw this coming a decade ago. It’s no surprise that these college loans were going to be the next bubble to burst. Let those who are responsible pay for it.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Oh really? Every student who goes to college graduates? Four pinocchios for you.

I can't support any proposal that wipes out student debt racked up by someone who went to college, partied hard instead of attending class and studying, and then flunked out.

I can't support any free student loan bailout that includes kids from wealthy families able to pay their own freight.

I also can't support the proposition that going to college is a "right" for every person. Or, that college is the right choice for every high school graduate.

I also can't support the proposition that America is the "land of the Free" and therefore everything has to be free of charge.

Disclaimer: I worked full-time (or an equivalent of multiple part-time jobs) during my time at TCU and busted my arse to get a ROTC scholarship (and had to pay Uncle Sam back with years of military service).

Eight

always found it interesting that a person with no current job, no collateral, and no future guarantee of employment could borrow thousands of dollars with no clear plan on how or when they would pay the loan back.

i know a local realtor and a friend he had who did the mortgages who went to jail for putting first time home buyers into newly built homes that the buyers would not be able to afford in the future.

Zubaz

Oh really? Every student who goes to college graduates? Four pinocchios for you.

I can't support any proposal that wipes out student debt racked up by someone who went to college, partied hard instead of attending class and studying, and then flunked out.

I can't support any free student loan bailout that includes kids from wealthy families able to pay their own freight.

I also can't support the proposition that going to college is a "right" for every person. Or, that college is the right choice for every high school graduate.

I also can't support the proposition that America is the "land of the Free" and therefore everything has to be free of charge.

Disclaimer: I worked full-time (or an equivalent of multiple part-time jobs) during my time at TCU and busted my arse to get a ROTC scholarship (and had to pay Uncle Sam back with years of military service).
1) I never said everyone who goes to college graduates, not sure how you took that from what I said. I said kids who do graduate have a mortgage payment right out of the gate, and it is causing them to delay other life choices that our society and economy are built around and view as valuable.
2) You can certainly take the ideological stance that those who took on debt are the ones responsible for paying it back, and again from an ideological I think that's perfectly understandable, but you should probably recognize the impact that is going to have on the economy that you are a part of. Housing markets depressed as fewer young people buy houses, social services further strained as the worker-to-retiree ratio continues to fall, more kids out of wedlock as young people delay marriage (but don't delay that other thing), it's not exactly a recipe for successful society. If you think that cost is worth the ideological stance, then OK I guess, I'm just saying this debt crisis impacts on everyone, not just those in debt.
3) I am not arguing that going to college is a "right" for every person, but the statistics are quite clear that a liberal arts degree provides higher earning power and more job stability even than the trade / vocational route (especially the older you get), to say nothing of those who top out at a high school diploma. If you want to lament our society's value of such degrees then I'm right there with you, but that's the clear evidence that's where we are today.
4) The tuition that you were able to able to afford by working full time / part time is not anywhere close to what kids are facing today, for a multitude of different reasons. It's an undeniable fact that tuition has outpaced both wage growth (certainly min wage growth) and inflation during that time period to the point where any "I was able to afford it working part time" claim is irrelevant to today's situation. Obviously a ROTC scholarship changes that equation, but that has its own issues.

Pharm Frog

Last datapoint I saw was that 40% of full-time college students graduated in four years and less than 60% graduated in six years. That’s before you even consider what degree they may have earned.

I have very low opinion of student “loans” and the degree to which oversight ensures the purpose for which they are designed.

I know the some schools have started loaning and then collecting on an income sharing basis. Personally I don’t like this idea. Based on my more recent experience with higher ed as an instructor and accreditation officer and as a parent, I think that some degree of financial risk should accrue to the institution but haven’t really worked out how.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
1) I never said everyone who goes to college graduates, not sure how you took that from what I said. I said kids who do graduate have a mortgage payment right out of the gate, and it is causing them to delay other life choices that our society and economy are built around and view as valuable.
2) You can certainly take the ideological stance that those who took on debt are the ones responsible for paying it back, and again from an ideological I think that's perfectly understandable, but you should probably recognize the impact that is going to have on the economy that you are a part of. Housing markets depressed as fewer young people buy houses, social services further strained as the worker-to-retiree ratio continues to fall, more kids out of wedlock as young people delay marriage (but don't delay that other thing), it's not exactly a recipe for successful society. If you think that cost is worth the ideological stance, then OK I guess, I'm just saying this debt crisis impacts on everyone, not just those in debt.
3) I am not arguing that going to college is a "right" for every person, but the statistics are quite clear that a liberal arts degree provides higher earning power and more job stability even than the trade / vocational route (especially the older you get), to say nothing of those who top out at a high school diploma. If you want to lament our society's value of such degrees then I'm right there with you, but that's the clear evidence that's where we are today.
4) The tuition that you were able to able to afford by working full time / part time is not anywhere close to what kids are facing today, for a multitude of different reasons. It's an undeniable fact that tuition has outpaced both wage growth (certainly min wage growth) and inflation during that time period to the point where any "I was able to afford it working part time" claim is irrelevant to today's situation. Obviously a ROTC scholarship changes that equation, but that has its own issues.

You stated: "...a population saddled with student debt has on the overall economy. These kids are graduating..." No, that entire population is not graduating. Not the total population of those attending college, nor the total population of those with student loan debt. The young'uns I talk to every day who are "saddled with student debt" are those who bombed out of school and therefore could not get the kind of job necessary to service their debt loads. (I had lunch today at local restaurant and virtually every server and bartender on duty fit that description.)

You stated: "You can certainly take the ideological stance that those who took on debt are the ones responsible for paying it back..." Since when did repaying any loan you take out become an "ideological stance"? It's been called "personal financial responsibility" for longer than you've roamed the earth.

Reality says there is a tremendous shortage in the United States in the skilled trades--plumbers, electricians, carpenters, mechanics etc. The skilled trades are paying more than your average "liberal arts" major makes (see teacher pay). Don't denigrate those in vocational/technical fields--your college degree snobbishness is showing.

Now you're adding "buying a house right out of the [college] gate" as another unalienable American "right"...???

"A ROTC scholarship...has its own issues.." What issues? Service to country is an issue to you? For young people in my state (OK), they can get free tuition at any state university if they join the Army or Air Force National Guard. All the "issues" of being paid to attend basic training; being paid to attend technical training school; paid when they are on duty one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer; paid for working extra time in the summer if the workload is there; paid a monthly GI Bill cash stipend while they attend that tuition-free university; and, depending on the occupational specialty they choose to serve in, they may also receive extra incentives like $20K in student loan reimbursement and/or a GI Bill "kicker" that provides for a higher monthly stipend.

Last edited:

DeuceBoogieNights

Username checks out. Go take your ovaltine. Ol baby boomer that can pay for college with part-time jobs.

Zubaz

You stated: "...a population saddled with student debt has on the overall economy. These kids are graduating..." No, that entire population is not graduating. Not the total population of those attending college, nor the total population of those with student loan debt. The young'uns I talk to every day who are "saddled with student debt" are those who bombed out of school and therefore could not get the kind of job necessary to service their debt loads. (I had lunch today at local restaurant and virtually every server and bartender on duty fit that description.)
Student debt is not primarily made up of dropouts, as the majority are degree holders. Regardless, we can limit this discussion to exclusively those with degrees and it wouldn't change the conversation all that much.

Oh, and financial reasons is usually cited as the single biggest reason given for dropping out, not "those who bombed out of school" (though that's usually number 2), but that's neither here nor there. Seems like if we were able to reduce the dropout rate by 30-40% (depending on the study you use), that would be a good thing?

That said, I would tend to agree that "part of a degree" is useless, so if your choices are "high school only with no debt" vs. "some college with debt", yeah the former is preferable. Neither are preferable, however, to a liberal arts degree from an aggregate standpoint because....
Reality says there is a tremendous shortage in the United States in the skilled trades--plumbers, electricians, carpenters, mechanics etc. The skilled trades are paying more than your average "liberal arts" major makes (see teacher pay). Don't denigrate those in vocational/technical fields--your college degree snobbishness is showing.
I am not denigrating anything, this has nothing to do with "snobbishness", but your statements here are objectively false on the aggregate. You're right that skilled trades generally start at both at higher salary and a lower unemployment rate, but they top out sooner too. Over the course of your career, Liberal arts degrees out-earn trades on the aggregate. Source. Relevant quote: "Most strikingly, the research found that people who received a broad, general education earned more over their lifetimes than otherwise similar people (that is, with similar test scores and years of schooling) who had attended vocational programs. Notably, the vocational graduates in most countries were more likely to be unemployed while older."

That's not to say vocations are useless, worthy of scorn, or to be looked down upon, this is only talking from an economic opportunity standpoint, and a bachelor's degree over the lifetime is generally (not always, generally) going to yield a better rate of return.

So the question to me then is: Given that a bachelor's degree still provides a better return than either a high school diploma or a vocational program, what do we do about the debt incurred by those degree holders (or even pursuers, if you like) that is dragging economic growth and limiting opportunities for everyone in the country?"

You wanna talk ideologically, or put your foot down and say "they took out the loans they are responsible for them" then we can do that, but are you willing to continue to decrease the US GDP by approximately $80 billion every year to make your point? Seems a little short-sighted to me.

Now you're adding "buying a house right out of the [college] gate" as another unalienable American "right"...???
Where did I say that? I didn't say anything about a "right", I'm talking about results. Younger people are delaying key milestones relative to previous generations. It's near universally recognized that home ownership is beneficial to an overall economy. Less people buying homes decreases the real estate market (remember what happened last time that went down?) and reduces the assets held by OTHER homeowners and makes it harder for them to sell. Again, you want , but it's generally agreed that an economy where young people can get married, buy a house, and have kids is beneficial for everyone...and they are doing that less and less.

A ROTC scholarship...has its own issues.." What issues? Service to country is an issue to you?
Boy oh boy you sure do like putting words in my mouth. No, service to your country is not an issue. Obviously ROTC is a tremendous opportunity, commitment, and service to the nation. No problem with that at all, but the military being the only option for those struggling to afford university? Not sure I can get behind that, and that's without dealing with "what if you don't get in?"

For young people in my state (OK), they can get free tuition at any state university if they join the Army or Air Force National Guard. All the "issues" of being paid to attend basic training; being paid to attend technical training school; paid when they are on duty one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer; paid for working extra time in the summer if the workload is there; paid a monthly GI Bill cash stipend while they attend that tuition-free university; and, depending on the occupational specialty they choose to serve in, they may also receive extra incentives like $20K in student loan reimbursement and/or a GI Bill "kicker" that provides for a higher monthly stipend.
Again, I am not discounting this or saying it's not a good option, just not sure "You can join the military if you want to go to college" is for everyone.

Virginia Frog

Virginia Tech is offering scholarships to freshmen if they attend a community college their first year and wait until year two to go to Blacksburg. They also had to rent out a Holiday Inn due to overcrowding.
The VaTech case was a big belly flop for their admissions. Since VT is in small town and has mostly rural surroundings the housing trick that any many colleges employ in similar situations by using blocks of hotels (ie Uof MD, GWU in DC) for short-term housing was tremendously limited. There were over 1K of expected matriculants with no bed.

The big and innovative idea here was to offer some new admits deals and future guarantees if they delayed entry. Academic "redshirting" or what is better known as a "gap year" was tried with reduced tuition on the backend. The option that you cited of free community college was what I would have taken if it'd been me. Free is my favorite word, well second favorite!

Apparently there were less takers of their proposals and they expected most of that 1K kids to show up. I don't know the outcome. I have a VPI degree: yes "old school" that is what my diploma says!

Pharm Frog

Hark!....I was called to duty!! Stephanie Cayo from Netflix’s Club de Cuervos.

99fcecd58a32062a30d5e9fce3b732ea.jpg

Remember that Geezer is viewing this thread and we don't want to throw him into a-fib or anything like that. Holy smokes....have got to set a reminder to expand my engagement with Netflix beyond Mrs Pharm's British TV series.

Latest posts