• The KillerFrogs

2019 Depth Chart

4th. down

I think we are all hoping that..That OU power counter that they run 30 times again seems
To destroy everything in its path. Really hoping Blacklock and Bethley can blow that thing up.

That and their tight end, just brutal on us and I'm not in the camp for 210lb. linebackers as those 330 lb. tackles and 310 lb. pulling guards blow these undersized LBs away. Need more of the Carder/Brock type but we don't seem to recruit those anymore. GP seems to prefer speed/agility more.

As an aside, never will forget Herbie, pre game at the Rose Bowl, was saying the undersized TCU LBs (Carder 235 and Brock 240) would not be able to contain the Wisc. RBs - he thought 235 and 240 was too small. Wonder what he would say now with LVZ @ 200?

cheese83

That and their tight end, just brutal on us and I'm not in the camp for 210lb. linebackers as those 330 lb. tackles and 310 lb. pulling guards blow these undersized LBs away. Need more of the Carder/Brock type but we don't seem to recruit those anymore. GP seems to prefer speed/agility more.

As an aside, never will forget Herbie, pre game at the Rose Bowl, was saying the undersized TCU LBs (Carder 235 and Brock 240) would not be able to contain the Wisc. RBs - he thought 235 and 240 was too small. Wonder what he would say now with LVZ @ 200?

Ben Wilson should be a decent size at least but we do need to recruit more LBs and not just convert 210 lb safeties.

Froggish

No doubt we could be bigger and given that I think the league has a renewed interest in running the ball it could turn into an issue. However I’m willing to take a wait and see attitude. Over the years there just haven’t been a lot of examples of team running it all over us for 4Qrts..

4th. down

No doubt we could be bigger and given that I think the league has a renewed interest in running the ball it could turn into an issue. However I’m willing to take a wait and see attitude. Over the years there just haven’t been a lot of examples of team running it all over us for 4Qrts..

I hear you, and how can we argue with GP on defense as he wrote the book on the 4-2-5. But,,,,,,,,,as an example, using a team like Wisc. was in the Rose Bowl against us, how could our undersized LBs stop those Wisc. RBs?

Froggish

I hear you, and how can we argue with GP on defense as he wrote the book on the 4-2-5. But,,,,,,,,,as an example, using a team like Wisc. was in the Rose Bowl against us, how could our undersized LBs stop those Wisc. RBs?

I can actually answer that..You stop the run by giving the offense looks where they can’t resist throwing it. GP has made his living confusing OCs and QBs into running the play he wants rather then what they want. We stopped Wisc by daring them to pass and they did until it was to late to figure out they were getting baited.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I can actually answer that..You stop the run by giving the offense looks where they can’t resist throwing it. GP has made his living confusing OCs and QBs into running the play he wants rather then what they want. We stopped Wisc by daring them to pass and they did until it was to late to figure out they were getting baited.
giphy.gif

Eight

Ben Wilson should be a decent size at least but we do need to recruit more LBs and not just convert 210 lb safeties.

the frogs have signed a number of linebackers(5) linebackers in their last two classes.

problem has been gaps in recruiting in the 2016 and 2017 classes, an injury, and trying to get kids up to speed.

consider none of the linebackers from the 2015 class are still on the roster and that class is a good reference point of the issues the frogs have had last few years at linebacker.

alec dunham was a highly regarded olb recruit going into his junior year who tore up his knee and never was quite the same. he worked his butt off, contributed on special teams and near the end of his time in ft worth, but wasn't the player you would have projected had you seen him as a soph.
mike freeze - left the program
semaj thomas - moved to de and left the program
montrel wilson - injuries and left the program
arico evans - qb/safety at hillcrest converted to safety and then lb at tcu.

in the end arico evans was the best linebacker tcu got from the 2015 class. consider that for a moment.

2016 - signed juco aa tyree horton and have no real idea [ What the heck? ] happened other than he never played for tcu.

2017 - alex bush juco played on special teams
garrett wallow - started at safety, moved to linebacker, showed promise, got moved back to safety, and is now the frogs most experienced linebacker

2018 - ben wilson looks the part at 6'2" and 220 lbs, but he never got playing time until the end of the year and is now out until mid-year with a foot injury
jacoby simpson - is more of a conventional inside linebacker, the one concern has been the ability to cover space that is required in this defense.
demauryon holmes - late pick up who has great straight line speed, but haven't heard much about him

2019 wyatt harris - 6'3" 218, looks the part, got moved to de when they had injury issues in camp, got moved back to lb and supposedly had a great scrimmage.
dylan jordan - 6'3" 215
zach marcheselli - 6'2" 220
dee winters - 6'1" 195 started at safety and basically continued to grow into linebacker

when you have one upper classmen at a critical position it tends to be a problem they cant go back an redo the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes

the only two linebackers they moved to defensive end from all these players were semaj thomas and wyatt and wyatt has been moved back to linebacker.

bigger questions are did they recruit the right prospects to do what gary wants from the linebacker position in the big 12 and can glasgow teach it and get them ready in a short period of time.

Eight

if you look at the numbers they didn't stop the wisconsin running. badgers ran for over 200 yards and both backs averaged 6 ypc.

as froggish points out wisconsin instead of sticking with the run, killed 3 straight offensive series by throwing incompletions on first time, got behind the chains, and couldn't convert on third down.

CryptoMiner

Actually you have the strategy of the Wisconsin game completely backwards. CGP earlier this year disclosed the insight he used to prepare for the Rose Bowl. He expected the Badgers to try and pass more against TCU. He didn't bait Wisc into passing he knew ahead that was going to be their strategy.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...ally-gary-patterson-shared-gameplan-backstory

TX_Krötenechse

the frogs have signed a number of linebackers(5) linebackers in their last two classes.

problem has been gaps in recruiting in the 2016 and 2017 classes, an injury, and trying to get kids up to speed.

consider none of the linebackers from the 2015 class are still on the roster and that class is a good reference point of the issues the frogs have had last few years at linebacker.

alec dunham was a highly regarded olb recruit going into his junior year who tore up his knee and never was quite the same. he worked his butt off, contributed on special teams and near the end of his time in ft worth, but wasn't the player you would have projected had you seen him as a soph.
mike freeze - left the program
semaj thomas - moved to de and left the program
montrel wilson - injuries and left the program
arico evans - qb/safety at hillcrest converted to safety and then lb at tcu.

in the end arico evans was the best linebacker tcu got from the 2015 class. consider that for a moment.

2016 - signed juco aa tyree horton and have no real idea [ What the heck? ] happened other than he never played for tcu.

2017 - alex bush juco played on special teams
garrett wallow - started at safety, moved to linebacker, showed promise, got moved back to safety, and is now the frogs most experienced linebacker

2018 - ben wilson looks the part at 6'2" and 220 lbs, but he never got playing time until the end of the year and is now out until mid-year with a foot injury
jacoby simpson - is more of a conventional inside linebacker, the one concern has been the ability to cover space that is required in this defense.
demauryon holmes - late pick up who has great straight line speed, but haven't heard much about him

2019 wyatt harris - 6'3" 218, looks the part, got moved to de when they had injury issues in camp, got moved back to lb and supposedly had a great scrimmage.
dylan jordan - 6'3" 215
zach marcheselli - 6'2" 220
dee winters - 6'1" 195 started at safety and basically continued to grow into linebacker

when you have one upper classmen at a critical position it tends to be a problem they cant go back an redo the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes

the only two linebackers they moved to defensive end from all these players were semaj thomas and wyatt and wyatt has been moved back to linebacker.

bigger questions are did they recruit the right prospects to do what gary wants from the linebacker position in the big 12 and can glasgow teach it and get them ready in a short period of time.
They also moved Bush and Summers to DE

Froggish

Actually you have the strategy of the Wisconsin game completely backwards. CGP earlier this year disclosed the insight he used to prepare for the Rose Bowl. He expected the Badgers to try and pass more against TCU. He didn't bait Wisc into passing he knew ahead that was going to be their strategy.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...ally-gary-patterson-shared-gameplan-backstory

Yes I’m well aware of that but he also new that running was their strength and they Ultimately did themselves in by attempting to force their weakness down our throat.

Eight

They also moved Bush and Summers to DE

to fill needs due to injuries.

summers got moved back when they got bodies back and if really didn't matter with bush. he wasn't playing at linebacker or defensive end.

point is the idea that every "big" linebacker eventually gets spun down just isn't right. ty got moved because they had a need at defensive end for a short period of time and in all honesty i think it hurt the defense. he struggled against the run at defensive end and frogs had a senior linebacker who continually missed run gaps against ohio state.

Eight

Depth at CB isn't mentioned a whole lot, but we don't seem to have much. Two true freshman backing up the starters.....missing Daniels is going to really hurt if we lose someone.

very interesting what has happened at this position behind the starters.

keenan reed was moved to safety and is splitting time, noah daniels went down with an injury and is gone for the year, and tony wallace who they recruited for depth had some type of injury after signing and before getting to camp that resulted in some type of procedure they weren't involved with and has slowed his preparation.

frogs go from having one established back up, and older player who can play corner, and a highly regarded junior prospect to questions.

they have reed and 3 true freshmen and i guess possibly hidari ceasar.

Froggish

very interesting what has happened at this position behind the starters.

keenan reed was moved to safety and is splitting time, noah daniels went down with an injury and is gone for the year, and tony wallace who they recruited for depth had some type of injury after signing and before getting to camp that resulted in some type of procedure they weren't involved with and has slowed his preparation.

frogs go from having one established back up, and older player who can play corner, and a highly regarded junior prospect to questions.

they have reed and 3 true freshmen and i guess possibly hidari ceasar.

I think being able to cover the slot with either Gaines or LVZ will help greatly. We will still be thin on the outside but some of our Safety depth should help.