• The KillerFrogs

2019 Depth Chart

CountryFrog

We should not be playing this game.
Strongly disagree. If you're going to play an FCS team (and like it or not GP is going to play these games) then you absolutely want to play the worst FCS school that you can. There's no point at all in playing a good FCS opponent. You're not going to get any credit for beating any FCS team so you might as well find one that has no chance to compete so you can get your starters out as early as possible and still win by about 60 points.

CountryFrog

I’m concerned about literally every aspect of our program vs OU based on the last few years.
Lincoln Riley needs to move the hell on to the NFL. Part of me wants OU to go ahead and win a national championship in the next year or two so that Jerry Jones or someone will throw $15 million per year at Riley and get him to leave.

Wexahu

Strongly disagree. If you're going to play an FCS team (and like it or not GP is going to play these games) then you absolutely want to play the worst FCS school that you can. There's no point at all in playing a good FCS opponent. You're not going to get any credit for beating any FCS team so you might as well find one that has no chance to compete so you can get your starters out as early as possible and still win by about 60 points.

Strongly disagree. If we can't beat even the best FCS team on our home field then there is something messed up. Nobody worries about actually losing this game. In order to get any kind of meaningful preparation you need to play someone who at least can offer some resistance to what you're trying to do, otherwise it's just kind of a big waste of time. I think even GP is a little embarrassed about this one, he's alluded to the fact that he wishes they were playing a stronger team.

The idea that scheduling a game against a team that has no chance to even remotely compete is just completely lost on me. What's the point of playing sports? And I know we aren't the only team doing this, but APB is really taking it to another level.

4th. down

Kelton Hollis to guard, good deal. Coy McMillian needs to add 15lbs as the season goes on. I hope Dylan Thomas has a great season. Maybe the shortest starting left tackle in the Big XII at 6'3". If he gets the job done, who cares. Right side of our o line are monsters. Good to get our left guard back hopefully for a whole season. He's also NFL grade. Excited to see this team play. Big and fast defense too. Kell also listed as the possible kicker with Song. I like that and hopefully he's the second coming of cool as ice Oberkrom.
Looking forward to the first home game hype video later this work week and the new team intro video and entrance pageantry. Best time of the year!

One last item, I hope our new receivers coach, Malcolm Kelly, has been all over our receivers about what quality downfield blocking looks like. It was awful last year. Just put on a video of Ty Slanina murdering people as an example of how to do it right. Also, I hope Sonny doesn't sub in and out as much this year at the skill positions. It allows the opposing defense to sub as well, slows our rhythm down, and takes away our Texas heat conditioning advantage.

2014 season is about to repeat itself minus 61-58. Sorry Art.

"I hope Sonny doesn't sub in and out as much this year at the skill positions. It allows the opposing defense to sub as well, slows our rhythm down, and takes away our Texas heat conditioning advantage." This is Huge. Sonny needs to show some maturity going on his 6th. year at the OC position.

Froggish

Strongly disagree. If we can't beat even the best FCS team on our home field then there is something messed up. Nobody worries about actually losing this game. In order to get any kind of meaningful preparation you need to play someone who at least can offer some resistance to what you're trying to do, otherwise it's just kind of a big waste of time. I think even GP is a little embarrassed about this one, he's alluded to the fact that he wishes they were playing a stronger team.

The idea that scheduling a game against a team that has no chance to even remotely compete is just completely lost on me. What's the point of playing sports? And I know we aren't the only team doing this, but APB is really taking it to another level.

I agree with you however with as many Fr and RFr on the two deep it’s prob a good year for a push over.

All in all I think these games are a waste of time. In fact if I thought we could get away with it, I would literally sit every single projected starter and roll out there with the second team and let them get all the reps.

Wexahu

I agree with you however with as many Fr and RFr on the two deep it’s prob a good year for a push over.

All in all I think these games are a waste of time. In fact if I thought we could get away with it, I would literally sit every single projected starter and roll out there with the second team and let them get all the reps.

We could get away with it if we wanted to. If our 2nd and 3rd teamers can't beat APB then we suck. I would bet there isn't one kid on APB's team that GP would be comfortable giving a scholarship to.

Wexahu

I think those North Dakota State teams from a few years back could beat 70-75% of the teams in FBS, maybe more. Ask Kansas State.

They could definitely beat some, but no way 70-75% of them, especially over the course of a 12-game season if they played in P5 or decent G5 league. Besides, comparing ND State to APB is like comparing Alabama to Rice.

This team we're playing lost to an FCS team last year by more than 80 points.

Froggish

We could get away with it if we wanted to. If our 2nd and 3rd teamers can't beat APB then we suck. I would bet there isn't one kid on APB's team that GP would be comfortable giving a scholarship to.

Imagine rolling out there and going wire to wire with only backups. Essentially the same guys we usually finish these games with..Duggan could go the distance and get a ton of live reps.

At the end of the day you’d have a pretty good idea of what kind of depth you have. That’s more valuable then anything your going to get by having future NFL draft pics waste their time and risk injury

JockO de Frog

I SWEAR, if we have more of the absolute mind numbing ridiculous wr rotation/substitution bs this year, I will go certifiably INSANE!
About three years ago I was so upset about this and after looking at the roster, I counted 26 wrs. Granted about six or seven were walk ons but the rest were scholarship.

giphy.gif

CountryFrog

I'm all for not playing an FCS team every year and instead playing a legit P5 opponent, however, that's a totally moot point it seems. So as long as we're going to play a horrible team to start each season then make it the worst team possible. You focus on working the mechanics of calling plays, making substitutions, and special teams. It's not about providing competition in matchups as much as ironing out the other aspects of playing a football game that can't be simulated in practice.

As for competition and why you play sports, you play to have the most successful season possible and that goes beyond any single game. Clearly GP believes these FCS games provide value in that regard so that's his call. At the end of the season none of us will care that we played this game. If we have a great year then this game won't change that and if we have a bad year then beating these guys by 70 points won't make any of us feel any better. So again I submit, just playas awful team and move on without any injuries. It's not about being afraid to lose to some FCS team as much as playing even a somewhat competitive game increases risk of injury in what is going to be looked at as a meaningless game by everyone anyway, no matter how good the FCS opponent may be.

helcap

Welcome to the Forum Mr. Briles !

CountryFrog

Welcome to the Forum Mr. Briles !
Haha! Not so much. I'd much rather play another P5 team instead of the FCS game personally, but that seems like a worthless debate. Just saying if you're going to eat a cupcake then go all out and get the super sweet one with cream filling and lots of icing that tastes great.

netty2424

Had to do some research as I didn't know much about UAPB. Was shocked at their enrollment size: 2821 total

Plano Senior High School has 2600 students and its just 11th and 12th graders.
Not surprising. Drove through Pine Bluff a few times. Pine Bluff is a ship hole. Who wants to end up there.