• The KillerFrogs

OT - College enrollment boom?

Limp Lizard

Little story on the national news this morning about colleges across the country being caught with their pants down with an unexpected number of Freshmen showing up on campus, causing schools to rent out big blocks in close hotels. Any such sudden boom at TCU, or has everything been controlled? Apparently these schools finally got the worst-case scenario caused by approving way more applications than there are openings. Then too many show up for enrollment.

Big Frog II

TCU may be a bit overcrowded, but all of the new dorms have helped the situation. Sadly, few juniors and seniors have the opportunity to live on campus.

GeoFrog

Heard a lot of pushing 3 people into the old 2-people rooms. Also heard they converted some of the lounges into rooms (that was specifically in Shirley). My understanding is they did give a discount for having to crowd people in.

WhatTheFrog

Everyone's preparing for the 2020 election in hopes that all college debt will be wiped out. If that happens, college will become high school high, grades 13-16.

Enjoy your TCU degrees, people. Your only claim to fame will be scarcity.

MAcFroggy

Heard a lot of pushing 3 people into the old 2-people rooms. Also heard they converted some of the lounges into rooms (that was specifically in Shirley). My understanding is they did give a discount for having to crowd people in.

This same thing happened when I was at TCU 2005-2010. TCU dorms were way overcrowded in 2005, specifically. However, I think some of that had to do with Tulane kids that came after Katrina.

ticketfrog123

“Admissions’ job is to admit and Housings’ is to find room”

TCU recently announced an increase in target undergrad enrollment (from 8k to 9.5??)

Despite the new dorms, housing is tight but not “hotel” bad. For the price you pay at TCU, the housing issue is embarrassing and I think leadership has taken steps to address it.

Probably wouldn’t hurt to build another GrandMarc style apartment building near campus

Virginia Tech is offering scholarships to freshmen if they attend a community college their first year and wait until year two to go to Blacksburg. They also had to rent out a Holiday Inn due to overcrowding.

Planks

Little story on the national news this morning about colleges across the country being caught with their pants down with an unexpected number of Freshmen showing up on campus, causing schools to rent out big blocks in close hotels. Any such sudden boom at TCU, or has everything been controlled? Apparently these schools finally got the worst-case scenario caused by approving way more applications than there are openings. Then too many show up for enrollment.

I’m pretty sure this happened to TCU in 2009. Admitted too many freshman (maybe thinking less would accept due to the economy) and too many showed up. They had to put freshman in the GrandMarc due to a lack of freshman housing. TCU has struggled to meet demand for on campus housing ever since.

DubaiFrog

This happened to me as a freshman in 2004 in Moncrief. 3 people to a room, meant 6 19 year old dudes sharing a suite 1 holer bathroom...was un-ideal. luckily one of my roomates was local and got sick of it and ended up just moving back in with his parents, so we had an extra bunk bed for visitors.

tetonfrog

Everyone's preparing for the 2020 election in hopes that all college debt will be wiped out. If that happens, college will become high school high, grades 13-16.

Actually, having a degree from a private institution will be worth more because most of the talented profs will move away from public schools due to more pay.

netty2424

Finally paid of my student loans. Just in time for the debt to be erased. What a con job by Sanders.

Frog-in-law1995

Finally paid of my student loans. Just in time for the debt to be erased. What a con job by Sanders.

Never gonna happen, but then I said that about the Affordable Care Act. Hey, there’s a thought...maybe if student loans are forgiven, young workers might be able to afford their health care premiums again?

Pharm Frog

Never gonna happen, but then I said that about the Affordable Care Act. Hey, there’s a thought...maybe if student loans are forgiven, young workers might be able to afford their health care premiums again?

Why would they afford anything at that point? Why purchase health insurance when they know any accrued costs are just going to be miraculously forgiven? Affordability would be among the least of anyone's concerns.

HToady

Living nearby, it's been one of the quietest Fall starts that I can remember. Many houses go un leased.
So I'm thinking TCU has it pretty well under control.