• The KillerFrogs

Worst Stadiums in College Football, you may be surprised.

Casey T

I did not like how they used the fans as a large part of the evaluation. By that logic, if Rice and SMU played at Jerryworld, that is an awful stadium.

I always heard the Nebraska stadium was poor because half (40%? anyway a lot) of the seats are beyond the goal line, with a bunch even beyond the end zone. Of course due to the fans it is a great experience, but as a stadium...

I went to a nebraska - wisconsin game a few years ago. Seats on the 50 yard line and only about 10 rows from the field. I thought it was an amazing atmosphere but it did have a massive section behind the end zone

Big Frog II

Kansas now has the worst stadium. Just awful for a Big 12 member. SMU's is not good either. Small, cheap, and absolutely no game day atmosphere. Feel like I am at a high school stadium.

Atomic Frawg

Kansas now has the worst stadium. Just awful for a Big 12 member. SMU's is not good either. Small, cheap, and absolutely no game day atmosphere. Feel like I am at a high school stadium.
You mean our practice field in Dallas named after Gerald Ford? It's probably one of the best practice fields in the country. Seats 32,000.

Purp

Why would it be? ESPN pays TCU a ton of money every year too. So they paid Michigan to make the TV product look nicer?
Doesn't ESPN pay the B12, who then pays us? Seems distinctly different than ESPN directly paying a university for something other than TV rights. Still not sure it should be an NCAA violation, but it seems like ESPN should go to the B1G to offer money for fixing TV preparedness issues at conference stadiums rather than going directly to the university. It would at least reduce the appearance of impropriety.

Billy Clyde

2011 and 2012. Actually thought about that one and definitely would consider it if it was still active

Went to my first one there as a tot in the 60s. Don't remember the stadium from that trip. But remember a game there in the mid-70s and even by the standards of that time period, it was high-schoolish.

Leap Frog

By far my worst stadium experience was in Shreveport in the 1994 Weedeater bowl. Rain was dripping in the concourses. The stands were just metal stands like a high school stadium. A poor HS stadium.
TopFrog and I were at that one, and you nailed it.
Also, don't forget SMU's Ownbey Stadium, if that's what it was.

Frog DJ

TopFrog and I were at that one, and you nailed it.
Also, don't forget SMU's Ownbey Stadium, if that's what it was.
That's why the Ponies played home games in the Cotton Bowl, for so long.

I did play-by-play for a freshman TCU-SMU football game from there, and I came away thinking Farrington Field was nicer.

Go Frogs!

If you sit on the lower bowl in the upper rows the sight lines are horrible in the Alamodome. You lose sight of the ball on deep passes, and and if people stand up you can lose sight of the field. It's so bad they compensate by adding TV's screens in those areas for you to look at instead.

Exactly. The Alamodome is a suckhole of a place to watch a game. Rivaled only by Jerry's polished [ Finebaum ] in Arlington.

westoverhillbilly

Let's just say our thankyous that Fran brought Gary here then ungraciously left and as a result- we're not in the AAC playing in front of 17-25,000 in an old 47,000 seat stadium configured over several decades with the newest addition in the 1950s and firmly planted on that list..

And being thankful that we had the committed and wealthy alums that would do whatever necessary to keep Gary here through our years in the G5 desert.. Very, very few if any G5 programs (and more than a few of P5 ones) lack our resources in that area.. I try to remember that it is where alot of those check writers are who aren't sitting in those empty lower bowl west side seats on Saturdays. Bad as those empty seats are, it beats the pants off of where we could have been..

Leap Frog

That's why the Ponies played home games in the Cotton Bowl, for so long.

I did play-by-play for a freshman TCU-SMU football game from there, and I came away thinking Farrington Field was nicer.

Go Frogs!
When Doak Walker came back from service in WW 2, Ponies were still in old Ownbey.
Didn't take long for him to spark great teams, so the move to Cotton was made to seat 50 to 60,000 fans.
Three of the best games I ever saw were Frogs vs. Ponies (and Doak), 2 ties and finally a TCU win in 1949.
Yes, Walker was a 3-time A.A.--- but our Lindy Berry was just as good, maybe better in several areas.

Big Frog II

Let's just say our thankyous that Fran brought Gary here then ungraciously left and as a result- we're not in the AAC playing in front of 17-25,000 in an old 47,000 seat stadium configured over several decades with the newest addition in the 1950s and firmly planted on that list..

And being thankful that we had the committed and wealthy alums that would do whatever necessary to keep Gary here through our years in the G5 desert.. Very, very few if any G5 programs (and more than a few of P5 ones) lack our resources in that area.. I try to remember that it is where alot of those check writers are who aren't sitting in those empty lower bowl west side seats on Saturdays. Bad as those empty seats are, it beats the pants off of where we could have been..
I am thankful every season for this. I am also thankful that we have the leadership at TCU to facilitate all of this.

Brog

I totally disagree with them about the Alamodome. Actually I wish TCU would of copied the Alamodome when they built the new stadium, but a way more updated one. Alamodome is loud and comfortable (the right temperature) and I really enjoyed all the games I have been to in there.

TCU had the money to build a similar structure and the home field advantage would of been just right with how loud that place would be. When TCU fans were yelling on that last drive of Oregon vs. TCU it was the best home field advantage I have ever seen TCU have. Lots of luxury suites. And the indoor facility would of really satisfied a lot of what our fan base and alumni were, is, and are looking for.

Agree with you completely. However, I do prefer "would have" over "would of". Is that picky enough?