• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

HFrog1999

Prolly so. I’ve always heard he just hates the ship out of weed eating.

tenor.gif

tcudoc

Wow! I go to sleep for a few hours and this kind of stuff drops. Glad you’re ok Riggs. Just so you know, those who have outside of the hospital cardiac arrest (or inside for that matter) have an abysmal survival rate. Seems like I recall it is around 1%. That is not good. If they used an AED on you, then that and CPR saved you and you were very lucky to have been where you were and surrounded by someone who knew what to do.
Just wow!
The 24 hour induced hypothermia is great as well. Likely saved a lot of brain cells. Sounds like you got all of the best care.
Congrats!
Wait, this isn’t gonna be like the movie The 6th Sense is it?

TCURiggs

Can’t tell if serious bc you’re always joking, but if true man........holy ship. That’s scary stuff. Glad you made it back to the land of the living.

How did your wife know you went down in the store? Did she eventually come looking for you?

Real talk, did you see the light? We’re you able to fast forward and see who started under center against APB?

Seriously tho, I’m glad you’re doing ok Riggs. That’s scary to think about leaving kiddos behind.

Yeah, wife eventually figured it out when I was gone for so long and the FD showed up, so she kept my kids away. She was a freaking trooper through all of this. Think she rode in the ambulance with me and a good friend took the kids home, but I need to clarify that.

Didn't see any light. Don't really remember ship from Sunday afternoon through Thursday. Hell of a ride/story! Lucky to be here, honestly. All of the Drs and nurses are pretty amazed that we pulled it off.

Yeah, wife eventually figured it out when I was gone for so long and the FD showed up, so she kept my kids away. She was a freaking trooper through all of this. Think she rode in the ambulance with me and a good friend took the kids home, but I need to clarify that.

Didn't see any light. Don't really remember ship from Sunday afternoon through Thursday. Hell of a ride/story! Lucky to be here, honestly. All of the Drs and nurses are pretty amazed that we pulled it off.

A co-worker's mom was there and saw it all go down. I saw the texts from her mom telling her to pray, pray, pray! She said it was simply amazing to see the doc and EMTs in action.

Ron Swanson

Wow! I go to sleep for a few hours and this kind of stuff drops. Glad you’re ok Riggs. Just so you know, those who have outside of the hospital cardiac arrest (or inside for that matter) have an abysmal survival rate. Seems like I recall it is around 1%. That is not good. If they used an AED on you, then that and CPR saved you and you were very lucky to have been where you were and surrounded by someone who knew what to do.
Just wow!
The 24 hour induced hypothermia is great as well. Likely saved a lot of brain cells. Sounds like you got all of the best care.
Congrats!
Wait, this isn’t gonna be like the movie The 6th Sense is it?
I read an article that said that the survival rate is much higher if doctors can get the artery opened up within 60 minutes.

I’m guessing that happened in Riggs’ case.

netty2424

I don’t know you but for you and your family’s sake, I’m happy you beat the odds here and hopefully will make a full recovery.

bleedpurple

Riggs. I am glad you are still with us. I have never met you (if I have I am sorry, I know I have met Ron but I think he is the only one in hasmsp but I am not sure...) but having been through a serious brush with death I can completely relate. Pretty surreal.

tcudoc

I read an article that said that the survival rate is much higher if doctors can get the artery opened up within 60 minutes.

I’m guessing that happened in Riggs’ case.
True. The problem is many die before the hospital.
That’s why I specified out of hospital cardiac arrest. The ones you’re talking about are mostly heart attack with chest pain but without cardiac arrest.

Last edited:

Boomhauer

Haha. I wish. My wife made me start going to the Dr for blood work/checkups when I turned 35 (I'm 36 and stubborn). Well, apparently I checked out to be healthy as a horse, other than the blockage on the "widowmaker" artery that we never discovered. Did a bunch of work on a house with my brother on Sunday, picked up the fam and mentioned I had some chest pain, so I was going to run into Albertson's Westcliff and get some Aspirin (my wife text me while I was in there, saying she didn't want to say it in front of the kids, but she thought I should go to the Dr... I never got that text.) Passed smooth out in Albertson's, and a mutual friend/Tanglewood Dad pretty much saved my life by starting CPR and getting the Fire Department over there in a hurry. Been a long, tough week, but I've been amazed by the support of our family and friends. Incredible showing by so many out there, and feel blessed to be leaving this joint today!

Holy [ Finebaum ] dude. Cant imagine how scary that was for you and your family. Glad you are ok. On the bright side you probably feel invincible now.

nwlafrog

Haha. I wish. My wife made me start going to the Dr for blood work/checkups when I turned 35 (I'm 36 and stubborn). Well, apparently I checked out to be healthy as a horse, other than the blockage on the "widowmaker" artery that we never discovered. Did a bunch of work on a house with my brother on Sunday, picked up the fam and mentioned I had some chest pain, so I was going to run into Albertson's Westcliff and get some Aspirin (my wife text me while I was in there, saying she didn't want to say it in front of the kids, but she thought I should go to the Dr... I never got that text.) Passed smooth out in Albertson's, and a mutual friend/Tanglewood Dad pretty much saved my life by starting CPR and getting the Fire Department over there in a hurry. Been a long, tough week, but I've been amazed by the support of our family and friends. Incredible showing by so many out there, and feel blessed to be leaving this joint today!

Glad you are recovering, man!

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)

cat-a-big-hug-card-235.jpg

Mean Purple

It’s been real hairy and a lot of us non-medical dumbarses were studying up reading medical articles on his condition, trying to learn just how serious it was. We didn’t know if he was gonna live, and we didn’t know if he did live, if he’d lose brain function, etc... (he was basically in a medically induced coma/hypothermic state for 2-3 days). There was a good chunk of time early in the week where we thought there was a good chance we could lose him. We were all getting our info 3rd hand from his family passing it along to his closest friends and then they’d keep us up to date.

As a result, I don’t know if maybe the doctors were feeling good about it the whole time and they knew he would react well and come out of it fine in the end, but we were all nervous as ship. It was an extremely serious cardiac event and apparently he’s very lucky to be alive (based on the fact that he ‘passed out’ where and when he did so he was able to be given immediate medical attention).

I kept wanting to post something here and on 247, since Riggs is such an active member of both boards, but I didn’t know if it was my place at the time, so I just stayed quiet.

Anyway, it became real apparent real quick just how many people love the guy and were thinking/praying for him. Also, I bet there are about 50 more annual physicals that just got scheduled out of his friend group. Riggs is one of the more in-shape guys out of our friend-group and a this made a lot of people nervous about their own health (especially our fatter friends).
Well, then he should feel some comfort in knowing he is helping others take notice. I recently had to start taking more notice after a physical and some number came back that were not stellar. Diet change, working out, a few less cigars and less rum/scotch.
I already feel in better shape than I have in years. Weight coming down. But I may still have to take the scan.
Anyway, I think we are all hoping for a strong recovery for Riggs.