• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

Purp

I was told I should remove ignore on this thread. I understand why now, but I wish I hadn't.

I know you have me on ignore but while I think the '14 squad was very very good, I think you're way off base here. Any team among the best ever doesn't lose to Baylor, barely squeak by a 3-9 Kansas team, need a last second FG and 6 turnovers to beat a 7-6 WVU team, and barely beat what turned out to be a 8-5 OU team at home.

I watched basically every play that year. It was a blast because except for the last 8 minutes of the Baylor game everything seemed to fall into place and go our way, but we weren't THAT good, as in one of the best teams I've ever seen. By saying you'd be "stunned" if that team if they played 5 games against the best teams ever and didn't win at least 2 games, you're basically saying that was the best team ever.
You can discount some of those wins if you want to, but that OU team with Sterling Shephard healthy was a much different team than without him healthy. And playing WVU at Morgantown has always been an adventure for TCU (similar to Lawrence, KS). And that Baylor loss will always sting b/c a 21 point lead half way through the 4th quarter should never be blown, but that Baylor offense may have been more explosive than ours and dubious calls (both by our coaches and the officials) let that become a ball game again.

But all of that misses the point I made originally anyway. Jake was making the point that he didn't think our 09, 10, or 14 teams could have competed with the current versions of Bama and Clemson. I disagreed. Since the only time we'd face either of them would have been in the postseason I used the example of the Peach Bowl and giving CGP 4 weeks to prepare. Since CGP didn't have 4 weeks to prepare for WVU, Baylor, OU, and Kansas bringing these games up dodges the point I'm making. The team that played the Peach Bowl with 4 weeks of preparation isn't the greatest team of all time (I said that earlier too), but they could compete with anybody and win a lot.

That's all I said. Nothing about recruiting and nothing about how that 2014 season should be compared to the greatest ever. Just that the Peach Bowl squad with 4 weeks to prepare could beat any of the best teams ever 40% of the time. They might even beat some of the 10 or 20 best ever 60% of the time. I never said they'd beat all of them more than half the time, though. That would make them the best team ever.

Off the top of my head 3 stand out from the last 20 years as part of the best ever conversation. The VY national title team at Texas; the 2000 (maybe 2001) Miami team with Shockey, McGahee, Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Bryant McKinney, and loads of NFL talent on defense too (probably the best team I've ever seen in college in terms of talent); and the Reggie Bush USC team that lost the title game to VY (that may be the greatest game I've ever seen simply due to the stakes, the venue, and the quality of both teams with two of the greatest college football players ever; but I digress). Of those 3 I think Miami would be the toughest match-up for the Peach Bowl team because they had a premier weapon at every offensive position (especially TE against our defense), but even then I think CGP figures out a way to slow them enough and our offense produces enough points to take a couple from them out of 5. Even with Shockey they weren't running tempo with a mobile QB like Riley does with OU. The USC and Texas teams were heavily oriented around a single player, but both had other weapons too. That said, you had a chance if you could limit Bush or VY on the ground. CGP's defenses have always done that well against a single player and the Peach Bowl defense may have been the best at it. I don't think it's a stretch for the Peach Bowl team to compete well against either of those teams.

What I also said in that same post was that the Riley OU teams are a huge exception here. CGP can't figure that offense out for some reason and even the Peach Bowl offense isn't scoring as much as Riley does on us.

This is why I've got you on ignore. Disingenuous (at best) or intellectually dishonest (at worst) arguments just for the sake of trying to prove your superiority. Nobody wins in a debate with you (especially you). As Bill Murray said, it's hard enough to win an argument with a smart person; it's impossible against an idiot.

Purp is probably one of those guys that thinks we can't compete with the Alabama's and Clemson's of the world unless we start bringing in a lot more 4 and 5 star players. And yet we were able to field supposedly one of the best teams in college football history with zero 5-star kids and only a few 4-stars. Tell me how that makes any sense.
You've put a lot of words in my mouth here that are completely bogus just so that you could make a point that is wrong and not even germane to the discussion. Good for you.

For starters, where have I ever lamented the recruiting starsies around here? Or anywhere else for that matter?

I'm one of those guys who thinks we CAN compete with anybody in the country every year, to include the Bamas and Clemsons, because of a superior coach who knows what he needs to deploy his system. If he doesn't get the 5 star kids who could do everything he needs on day 1 then he goes and finds the 3 and 4 star kids who can do most of it and can grow into what he needs them to do in a year or 2 down the road.

When healthy, CGP can beat anybody with his defense. I didn't say he would beat everybody (important distinction), but he could beat anybody. When he has a potent offense to go with it, then he's got an extremely dangerous team. I think I've said most of that already in this thread already. Sorry you missed it or at least couldn't understand it.

Wexahu

This is why I've got you on ignore. Disingenuous (at best) or intellectually dishonest (at worst) arguments just for the sake of trying to prove your superiority. Nobody wins in a debate with you (especially you). As Bill Murray said, it's hard enough to win an argument with a smart person; it's impossible against an idiot.

When have you lost a debate? I don't see a lot of "you're right, I was wrong" from much of anybody on here, we all have our opinions and pretty much stick to them. And how exactly am I disingenuous or intellectually dishonest? What have I said that is factually wrong? Prove my superiority? What the heck? I get shots thrown my way all the time, it's no big deal, if someone thinks I'm a dumbass so be it.

Bob Sugar

I was told I should remove ignore on this thread. I understand why now, but I wish I hadn't.

You can discount some of those wins if you want to, but that OU team with Sterling Shephard healthy was a much different team than without him healthy. And playing WVU at Morgantown has always been an adventure for TCU (similar to Lawrence, KS). And that Baylor loss will always sting b/c a 21 point lead half way through the 4th quarter should never be blown, but that Baylor offense may have been more explosive than ours and dubious calls (both by our coaches and the officials) let that become a ball game again.

But all of that misses the point I made originally anyway. Jake was making the point that he didn't think our 09, 10, or 14 teams could have competed with the current versions of Bama and Clemson. I disagreed. Since the only time we'd face either of them would have been in the postseason I used the example of the Peach Bowl and giving CGP 4 weeks to prepare. Since CGP didn't have 4 weeks to prepare for WVU, Baylor, OU, and Kansas bringing these games up dodges the point I'm making. The team that played the Peach Bowl with 4 weeks of preparation isn't the greatest team of all time (I said that earlier too), but they could compete with anybody and win a lot.

That's all I said. Nothing about recruiting and nothing about how that 2014 season should be compared to the greatest ever. Just that the Peach Bowl squad with 4 weeks to prepare could beat any of the best teams ever 40% of the time. They might even beat some of the 10 or 20 best ever 60% of the time. I never said they'd beat all of them more than half the time, though. That would make them the best team ever.

Off the top of my head 3 stand out from the last 20 years as part of the best ever conversation. The VY national title team at Texas; the 2000 (maybe 2001) Miami team with Shockey, McGahee, Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Bryant McKinney, and loads of NFL talent on defense too (probably the best team I've ever seen in college in terms of talent); and the Reggie Bush USC team that lost the title game to VY (that may be the greatest game I've ever seen simply due to the stakes, the venue, and the quality of both teams with two of the greatest college football players ever; but I digress). Of those 3 I think Miami would be the toughest match-up for the Peach Bowl team because they had a premier weapon at every offensive position (especially TE against our defense), but even then I think CGP figures out a way to slow them enough and our offense produces enough points to take a couple from them out of 5. Even with Shockey they weren't running tempo with a mobile QB like Riley does with OU. The USC and Texas teams were heavily oriented around a single player, but both had other weapons too. That said, you had a chance if you could limit Bush or VY on the ground. CGP's defenses have always done that well against a single player and the Peach Bowl defense may have been the best at it. I don't think it's a stretch for the Peach Bowl team to compete well against either of those teams.

What I also said in that same post was that the Riley OU teams are a huge exception here. CGP can't figure that offense out for some reason and even the Peach Bowl offense isn't scoring as much as Riley does on us.

You've put a lot of words in my mouth here that are completely bogus just so that you could make a point that is wrong and not even germane to the discussion. Good for you.

For starters, where have I ever lamented the recruiting starsies around here? Or anywhere else for that matter?

I'm one of those guys who thinks we CAN compete with anybody in the country every year, to include the Bamas and Clemsons, because of a superior coach who knows what he needs to deploy his system. If he doesn't get the 5 star kids who could do everything he needs on day 1 then he goes and finds the 3 and 4 star kids who can do most of it and can grow into what he needs them to do in a year or 2 down the road.

When healthy, CGP can beat anybody with his defense. I didn't say he would beat everybody (important distinction), but he could beat anybody. When he has a potent offense to go with it, then he's got an extremely dangerous team. I think I've said most of that already in this thread already. Sorry you missed it or at least couldn't understand it.
tl;dr

netty2424

Funny, I remember watching a TCU team that did more than compete at Clemson. They were victorious on the road in some really ugly weather conditions.
Well there’s one.

Re-read my post. It was specifically about winning over a period of time. Longevity. Not single games.

Froggish

Not schadenfreude, just found this interesting.

Ingram has been dinged up but is expected to be back for LaTech, Whittingham is 4Star true freshman who will back up Ingram. If they struggle running the ball early, you can bet Herman won’t be able to resist calling Ehlingers number which won’t be good for his health

netty2424

OK. How about beating Texas 4 of the last 5 years?
Pretty kick arse is what I think.

But to put it back into context of the conversation, UT has not been in the same conversation as Bama and Clemson as far as depth in recent years. They’re getting there now imo. But haven’t been there in recent years.

Eight

Curious...Will GP release a depth chart coming out of fall camp? Noticed a bunch of schools released a depth chart today

usually included with the game notes that are digitally put out before each game

i can't however guarantee the depth chart will reflect when and where players will see action.