• The KillerFrogs

2019-2020 TCU basketball thread

SuperBarrFrog

Was that the Yuat Alok punching wall incident when he broke his hand ? Idk lol. Either way the guys that transferred ended up going to levels they belong, if that. The only one w potential was archie. He didnt give it a chance. He woulda played alot.
I don’t remember when. I just remember being told right after it happened by someone in my gameday group text I have with some college buddies.

Skip Jansen

Maybe he didn't get as many quality catch and shoot opportunities at UTA as the staff thinks he can get with us.

Purp-

That is the thinking. Like I said, he is really streaky. And shot selection is part of that.

He was 6-9 from the 3 point line against UT (scored 23 points) so he is very capable. I think he will provide some scoring off the bench. That's not always that easy to find

Delray Frog

Rose Bowl-

Also coming in next weekend are-
- KK Robinson 6-0 PG Bryant, AR
- Max Murrell 6-9 PF Omaha, NE
Huge weekend!! Those two guys are the top rated players in their state and overall top 100 in the nation. Those guys along with Eddie would be the best class in the history of the program. Hope it all goes well next weekend!!

BleedNPurple

This may not be what you want to hear but his forte' is 3 point shooting. He is really streaky. He's like most shooters. When he gets a clean catch and shoots it in rhythm, he's makes a high percentage.

Jaylen Fisher was doing a good job of that for us last year until he got injured. We need a player that can come it and give the offense a boost!

Rose Bowl

Do you know anything about Dermontae Hill, Skip? We offered him yesterday. He’s not ranked in the top 200 but have heard good things about him.

Skip Jansen

Huge weekend!! Those two guys are the top rated players in their state and overall top 100 in the nation. Those guys along with Eddie would be the best class in the history of the program. Hope it all goes well next weekend!!

Those aren't the only Top 100 type players that will be for visits, in the next couple of months.

Skip Jansen

Do you know anything about Dermontae Hill, Skip? We offered him yesterday. He’s not ranked in the top 200 but have heard good things about him.

Seen him play several times.

He's really a good athlete. Needs to develop his perimeter game some but would be a good get.

Those rankings can be misleading. There are a ton of factors that go into it. Atlanta has so many good players that it's hard for them all to get the right exposure.

Eight

I’ve been told that RJ has been very good this summer. I’m not sure what his role will be but he was playing pretty well at the end of the season.

hoping he has been taking 1,000 jumpers a day.

frogs just can't have guys shooting 30-35% from behind the arc.

if he can provide a legit 2nd or 3rd option from behind the line and solid defense then he is a positive for the team.

last year at times frogs would have miller and rj out on the perimeter and the defenses were begging them to shoot and overplaying to bane and alex.

Purp

I’ve been told that RJ has been very good this summer. I’m not sure what his role will be but he was playing pretty well at the end of the season.
I can see this being true. I've said here a few times that RJ reminds me of a more athletic Brandon Parrish. Brandon showed flashes his first two years of being a solid scorer for us, but he was always valuable on the defensive end. His junior year he was a big part of the team and he was even bigger a part his senior year even though he didn't start. The comparison isn't perfect b/c I think RJ has more potential as a basketball player than Brandon and I think Brandon is a more unique leader than RJ may become, but I think their careers at TCU may follow similar trajectories.

You're right that RJ seemed to settle into a comfort zone toward the end of last season and gain some confidence on the offensive end. He made some clutch 3s for us down the stretch that we'd have had little to no confidence in him making most of his career. I'm optimistic about him.

Rose Bowl

Remember Eight we signed a guy with a career 31% from deep who most think will have a big impact on the team. I agree that RJ needs to shoot better from distance but he could help us more with better ballhandling and finishing around the rim.

Eight

Remember Eight we signed a guy with a career 31% from deep who most think will have a big impact on the team. I agree that RJ needs to shoot better from distance but he could help us more with better ballhandling and finishing around the rim.

who is the 31% shooter?

simply taking shoots from behind the arc isn't enough to draw the defense out if you aren't a legit threat to score from there and even at the end rj didn't merit much other than a hand up from behind three and the defender giving the shot and taking away the drive from him.

it is akin to the frogs in football lining austin and stewart out wide. neither posed a threat in the vertical passing game so they ended up creating more congestion than posing a threat.

the frogs in basketball struggled at the end because they didn't have consistent threats from 3 aside from bane at the end and you could see the impact in conference play where teams knew the frog. they went 3-9 against conference opponents in the second half of the conference play, the tournament, and the nit final. one common thread in the 3 wins and the 9 losses were how well this team shoot the ball and how well they shoot from behind the arc.

i just don't see how they significantly improve if they continue to have shooters hitting 30-35% from behind the arc.

Rose Bowl

who is the 31% shooter?

simply taking shoots from behind the arc isn't enough to draw the defense out if you aren't a legit threat to score from there and even at the end rj didn't merit much other than a hand up from behind three and the defender giving the shot and taking away the drive from him.

it is akin to the frogs in football lining austin and stewart out wide. neither posed a threat in the vertical passing game so they ended up creating more congestion than posing a threat.

the frogs in basketball struggled at the end because they didn't have consistent threats from 3 aside from bane at the end and you could see the impact in conference play where teams knew the frog. they went 3-9 against conference opponents in the second half of the conference play, the tournament, and the nit final. one common thread in the 3 wins and the 9 losses were how well this team shoot the ball and how well they shoot from behind the arc.

i just don't see how they significantly improve if they continue to have shooters hitting 30-35% from behind the arc.

Dennis is the poor shooter. I would be ecstatic if we shot 37% as a team from three. With the longer distance how we employ the three ball will be interesting.

jake102

Come on here to read some bball news and get triggered like that... smh

Rose Bowl

Read where CJD was happy that all the guys are healthy and progressing well. This roster isn’t exactly comprised the way most of us would want but it’s what we have and I have faith that the staff will do a good job molding them together as a team.

Eight

Dennis is the poor shooter. I would be ecstatic if we shot 37% as a team from three. With the longer distance how we employ the three ball will be interesting.

i agree rose bowl that how the change in distance impacts offenses will be interesting to unfold this year.

simply taking 3's doesn't! stretch a defense and open up driving lanes against well coached teams.

you need to make enough to warrant the defense!s attention and to me that is 35%

last 8 games tcu lost year the one common thread was they averaged 30% from behind the arc.