• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

Purp

Would the 2009, 2010 or 2014 team have beaten OU the past two years? I personally don't think so, especially Mayfield's OU. And probably more importantly, would those TCU teams have a chance against the current versions of Alabama and Clemson? Nope.
I agree about the OU teams, but I disagree about the more recent iterations of Bama and Clemson. The 09 defense paired with the 14 offense is a formidable squad. The 10 or 14 teams by themselves I think were good enough to beat Clemson or Bama when CGP has a month to prepare. The way that 14 offense totally dismantled the top defense in the SEC in spite of several turnovers combined with the way the 14 defense totally shut down a dangerous Rebel offense (albeit without Treadwell and Tunsill) you'll never convince me they wouldn't have had a chance to be anybody (except the Riley OU offenses) anywhere in that bowl season or any other. Why wouldn't the best offense paired with the best defense have a better chance?

jake102

Well if we are mixing and matching offense/defense.... And that Ole Miss offense wasn't even in the same ballpark as Trevor Lawrence and Tua lead offenses. Perhaps 2017 Alabama and Clemson

Purp

Well if we are mixing and matching offense/defense.... And that Ole Miss offense wasn't even in the same ballpark as Trevor Lawrence and Tua lead offenses. Perhaps 2017 Alabama and Clemson
I'd still put that entire 2014 team up against anybody. I'm not saying they're the best college football team ever, but if you put them up against the best teams ever and played 5 games I'd be stunned if they didn't win at least 2 against all of them.

The lone caveat to this is that damnable match-up with Lincoln. That pecker head has Gary's number and I'm not convinced 4 weeks of preparation would help CGP any more than a short week against that offense. Aside from Lincoln, there's no coach and no team I don't think Gary could figure out a way to shut down with that 2014 defense in 4 weeks to prepare and I don't think there have been many defenses ever (Gary's included) that could slow down that 2014 offense even with that amount of preparation. The only person who could slow down that offense was Tre himself. To beat that team you had to score more points.

Wexahu

I'd still put that entire 2014 team up against anybody. I'm not saying they're the best college football team ever, but if you put them up against the best teams ever and played 5 games I'd be stunned if they didn't win at least 2 against all of them.

I know you have me on ignore but while I think the '14 squad was very very good, I think you're way off base here. Any team among the best ever doesn't lose to Baylor, barely squeak by a 3-9 Kansas team, need a last second FG and 6 turnovers to beat a 7-6 WVU team, and barely beat what turned out to be a 8-5 OU team at home.

I watched basically every play that year. It was a blast because except for the last 8 minutes of the Baylor game everything seemed to fall into place and go our way, but we weren't THAT good, as in one of the best teams I've ever seen. By saying you'd be "stunned" if that team if they played 5 games against the best teams ever and didn't win at least 2 games, you're basically saying that was the best team ever.

Moose Stuff

Damn. Those 2008 - 2010 teams were just ridiculous. Hard to imagine emulating that kind of team again. Look at some of the names on that 2008 team:

Jerry Hughes, Tejay Johnson, Andy Dalton, Colin Jones, Stephen Hodge, Ed Wesley, Jason Phillips, Daryl Washington, Tank Carder, Robert Henson, Clint Gresham, Marcus Cannon, Marshall Newhouse, Jake Kirkpatrick, Jeremy Kerley, Jimmy Young, Wayne Daniels

This team is every bit as talented as that one with the extremely likely exception of one very important position. But if we’re just going raw talent I’ll put Reagor, Sewo, DA, Niang, Innis, Gladney, Ross, and Lewis up against any group of draft eligible players we’ve ever had. And that’s not including underclassmen like Barlow, Duggan, Mathis, Foster, Coker, LKV, TMW.....

This team is immensely talented.

Moose Stuff

I know you have me on ignore but while I think the '14 squad was very very good, I think you're way off base here. Any team among the best ever doesn't lose to Baylor, barely squeak by a 3-9 Kansas team, need a last second FG and 6 turnovers to beat a 7-6 WVU team, and barely beat what turned out to be a 8-5 OU team at home.

I watched basically every play that year. It was a blast because except for the last 8 minutes of the Baylor game everything seemed to fall into place and go our way, but we weren't THAT good, as in one of the best teams I've ever seen. By saying you'd be "stunned" if that team if they played 5 games against the best teams ever and didn't win at least 2 games, you're basically saying that was the best team ever.

I used to think that nobody liked to disagree with people on here more than I did.....

Wexahu

I used to think that nobody liked to disagree with people on here more than I did.....

Purp is probably one of those guys that thinks we can't compete with the Alabama's and Clemson's of the world unless we start bringing in a lot more 4 and 5 star players. And yet we were able to field supposedly one of the best teams in college football history with zero 5-star kids and only a few 4-stars. Tell me how that makes any sense.

CountryFrog

This team is every bit as talented as that one with the extremely likely exception of one very important position. But if we’re just going raw talent I’ll put Reagor, Sewo, DA, Niang, Innis, Gladney, Ross, and Lewis up against any group of draft eligible players we’ve ever had. And that’s not including underclassmen like Barlow, Duggan, Mathis, Foster, Coker, LKV, TMW.....

Raw talent, absolutely. A few of those guys haven't done a ton on the field YET, though mostly due to injury. We'll see what happens this year.

jake102

Raw talent, absolutely. A few of those guys haven't done a ton on the field YET, though mostly due to injury. We'll see what happens this year.

FWIW Reagor, Sewo, DA, Niang, Innis, Gladney, Ross and Lewis have played a ton. They are VERY proven commodities. Obviously those other guys not so proven. I'm really looking forward to LKV and TMW

asleep003

Agree with most everything … however, we do not, yet, have that 3 headed WR core that the 2014 team had... which who ever is going to run the offense, will need. We may get that 3 headed monster.?.

netty2424

Purp is probably one of those guys that thinks we can't compete with the Alabama's and Clemson's of the world unless we start bringing in a lot more 4 and 5 star players. And yet we were able to field supposedly one of the best teams in college football history with zero 5-star kids and only a few 4-stars. Tell me how that makes any sense.
Compete? Sure.

Beat them regularly with a loss or two mixed in every now and then, no.

The biggest difference between the Clemson’s, Bama’s, and even UT for that matter is, depth. GP is improving depth with better talent as that’s being proven with younger players seeing time early on. But when we lose guys to injury, we get thin in a hurry.

Clemson and Bama plug and play. That’s why they aren’t as cyclical as we are.

CountryFrog

FWIW Reagor, Sewo, DA, Niang, Innis, Gladney, Ross and Lewis have played a ton. They are VERY proven commodities. Obviously those other guys not so proven. I'm really looking forward to LKV and TMW
Certainly played enough to see the talent they have. But DA has constantly been plagued by one ailment or another it seems, Lewis has had several injuries, and Ross gave us a great freshman year but it's still just been one year so far. If all of those guys can actually stay close to 100% for an entire season at the same time then we're going to be a load for teams to handle.

As long as the QB......

Wexahu

Compete? Sure.

The biggest difference between the Clemson’s, Bama’s, and even UT for that matter is, depth. GP is improving depth with better talent as that’s being proven with younger players seeing time early on. But when we lose guys to injury, we get thin in a hurry.

As much as it pains me to do so, I completely agree (except for the UT part). To beat teams like that, we’re gonna have to be healthy, and they are probably going to have to be a little dinged up.

Bob

Compete? Sure.

Funny, I remember watching a TCU team that did more than compete at Clemson. They were victorious on the road in some really ugly weather conditions.

LawFrog504

Agreed except for Lewis

jake102

Funny, I remember watching a TCU team that did more than compete at Clemson. They were victorious on the road in some really ugly weather conditions.

Unless I'm mistaken, that was like a decade ago when Clemson was an adjective for under-achieving. Clemson's win-loss over/under is 11.5 this year. Meaning if they don't go undefeated, the under wins.