• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Mike Collins returns to practice after injury

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Mike Collins returns to practice after injury

By Drew Davison

TCU’s quarterback competition is between Kansas State graduate transfer Alex Delton and true freshman Max Duggan.

Coach Gary Patterson has said Delton and Duggan have separated themselves from the pack and are the front-runners to become the opening-day starter.

But TCU junior Mike Collins returned to practice on Tuesday, as Collins was shown going through individual drills in a clip posted of TCU’s practice on its social media channels.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article234218437.html#storylink=cpy

McGregor's Goat

People are underselling Collins' chance of becoming the starter this season, IMO. I realize that his tenure as a starter didn't go well last season, but (1) he was statistically better than Robinson (which of course isn't a very high bar), (2) he was statistically better than Alex Delton was in any season at Kansas State, (3) because he was seeing his first action at the FBS level, it's plausible that he could improve.

So, unless either Delton is as massively improved as we're being led to believe, or Duggan is as mature and prepared beyond his years as we're being led to believe, we might need Collins this season. I'm not claiming to know what's best, I hope Delton and Duggan are as good as advertised.

notyalc

I think Mike C. is actually a pretty solid QB. And given the ups and downs at the position I think its a big plus to have him at least as a backup. Next year Delton will be gone and Duggan will most likely be the starter. Having a senior MC with experience to fall back on will be important.

ThisIsOurTime

People are underselling Collins' chance of becoming the starter this season, IMO. I realize that his tenure as a starter didn't go well last season, but (1) he was statistically better than Robinson (which of course isn't a very high bar), (2) he was statistically better than Alex Delton was in any season at Kansas State, (3) because he was seeing his first action at the FBS level, it's plausible that he could improve.

So, unless either Delton is as massively improved as we're being led to believe, or Duggan is as mature and prepared beyond his years as we're being led to believe, we might need Collins this season. I'm not claiming to know what's best, I hope Delton and Duggan are as good as advertised.

A problem for Michael is that he keeps getting hurt. This makes it harder for him to get extended playing time because the coaches know that he is at risk of getting injured again and so won't feel they can fully rely on him. That being said, if I were the coaches I would be testing all 4 quarterbacks. They need to determine who can give us the best chance to win this year and how to bring along Duggan and Rogers this season so to be ready for next year.

Before Michael's injury, I would have said we would see all three quarterbacks play in these first four games. Now, it may be that we only see Duggan and Delton barring injury as Michael is coming back from an injury.

McFroggin

A problem for Michael is that he keeps getting hurt. This makes it harder for him to get extended playing time because the coaches know that he is at risk of getting injured again and so won't feel they can fully rely on him. That being said, if I were the coaches I would be testing all 4 quarterbacks. They need to determine who can give us the best chance to win this year and how to bring along Duggan and Rogers this season so to be ready for next year.

Before Michael's injury, I would have said we would see all three quarterbacks play in these first four games. Now, it may be that we only see Duggan and Delton barring injury as Michael is coming back from an injury.

With QB a big question mark, I don’t expect meaningful minutes for more than 1-2 QB’s in week 1. They need the reps.

Collins was crushing it in his first appearance last year until his palm got ripped off of his hand.

Yes!!! People forget that cut. Brutal and his game wasn't as good after that injury. I think he played through some pain. Collins has the "it" factor especially in a real game. Very competitive. I want to see the "it" factor from the others, Robinson didn't have it nor the competitive drive.

4th. down

Collins is probably one of the better back ups in the Big 12 and if he doesn't portal, the same for next year. Delton has never made it completely thru a season without injury. Collins will play this year.

On another note, Rogers has moved to the Scout team. You might have negative thoughts on that at first but actually it's probably good for him - reps, reps, reps.

Eight

Collins is probably one of the better back ups in the Big 12 and if he doesn't portal, the same for next year. Delton has never made it completely thru a season without injury. Collins will play this year.

On another note, Rogers has moved to the Scout team. You might have negative thoughts on that at first but actually it's probably good for him - reps, reps, reps.

agree completely 4th down on justin going to the scout team.

he needs as many reps as he can get each day at practice. he needs to be challenged each day to make the right reads, get the timing down on routes, with the proverbial clock in the head.

no better place right now then throwing against the tcu defense each day in practice.

4th. down

agree completely 4th down on justin going to the scout team.

he needs as many reps as he can get each day at practice. he needs to be challenged each day to make the right reads, get the timing down on routes, with the proverbial clock in the head.

no better place right now then throwing against the tcu defense each day in practice.

Let's just hope he is optimistic about the move and is not taking it as a step down but one stop on the road to eventual greatness. We have to remember, injury aside, he has really only played 1 year, his junior year in HS.

Eight

Let's just hope he is optimistic about the move and is not taking it as a step down but one stop on the road to eventual greatness. We have to remember, injury aside, he has really only played 1 year, his junior year in HS.

i think a BIG key here is how the decision was explained to him by sonny.

we have talked about it multiple times on this site, he has played really in two years and as you pointed out he has one year of starting under his belt.

sonny needs to set this an opportunity to grow and develop getting the reps against the best freaking teacher he can find in patterson and that defense. heck, he will see more games, stunts, blitz packages, and coverage combinations during the week then he would getting games reps if he were the #3 quarterback handing off to a walk on running back.

the other big key here could be kenny hill. when kenny transferred in from atm he ran the scout team offense and won gary's respect for how he approached that role each day. kenny also won the respect of his defensive team mates as the challenged, even frustrated them at times getting them ready for saturday.

justin's mindset is key. does he view this as another challenge for him to grow and overcome or is it viewed as a setback?

WhatTheFrog

I doubt he'd transfer again.

Now that I've said that, he probably will. Hopefully not.

jake102

i think a BIG key here is how the decision was explained to him by sonny.

we have talked about it multiple times on this site, he has played really in two years and as you pointed out he has one year of starting under his belt.

sonny needs to set this an opportunity to grow and develop getting the reps against the best freaking teacher he can find in patterson and that defense. heck, he will see more games, stunts, blitz packages, and coverage combinations during the week then he would getting games reps if he were the #3 quarterback handing off to a walk on running back.

the other big key here could be kenny hill. when kenny transferred in from atm he ran the scout team offense and won gary's respect for how he approached that role each day. kenny also won the respect of his defensive team mates as the challenged, even frustrated them at times getting them ready for saturday.

justin's mindset is key. does he view this as another challenge for him to grow and overcome or is it viewed as a setback?

Given that KHill is on staff, hopefully he helps with this

Snoop1122

Here's what we should do split the reps between Delton, Duggan, and Collins for Pine Bluff since there's no clear cut starter yet...

Latest posts