• The KillerFrogs

OT - Let's hear it for Bill Camfield

NORMLFROG

Loved me some Slam Bang Theater with that crazy ass alarm clock in the intro! I had a chance to correspond with his son a number of years ago regarding the old amateur Hill Country baseball league. The Gillespie County Historical Society still has records and stuff from that old league. Long live Pat's Hall and the Fredericksburg Giants!

NF

CryptoMiner

In the 70s there used to be a barber shop, i mean hair salon just off Berry that backed up to the record store & Hi Hat. Bill would get his hair cut there and every Halloween he would come in and decorate the place with spider webs and all sorts crawly things. The guy was a hoot and loved it all.

Slam Bang Theater was a must first thing in the morning.

Opintel

Moderators
Awesome - and they didn't have to be nasty-mouth to get laughs. Just a subtle hint...if you were old enough to git it.

(sigh)

Tumbleweed

Bill, Clem, Phil and Buddy had boundless energy. You didn't work for any particular person at 11, you worked with them. Many times we locked the cameras down and put on any costume we could find for SBT. I wore the gorilla costume numerous times. Did that ever stink! The station was literally operated by TCU alumni and RTV students. Remember Porter Randal, Dave Ramsey and I can't recall his name but his face is very clear. The weather man was a major or something at Carswell. We tried to make him smile or something to show the audience he was not a robot. He just couldn't do it. Phil Crow got into prof. baseball as a promoter of some kind and Clem, well no finer man to work with than Clem. Our RTV class in 61-62-63-64 produced great talent and most of them became very successful in Texas, L.A., Chicago and New York. I can't remember Rowdy's last name but he announced on 'The Price Is Right' for years. He's the one who said..."C'mon on down" Oh, remember WBAP Russ Bloxom, a good friend and his family gave TCU its first video board.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Rod Roddy?
image579541x.jpg

Limp Lizard

This was the time of Wolfman Jack, Soupy Sales, Mickey and Amanda, Rough and Ready...help me add things here, fellow old folks. Or as we are often called here "olds".

BedfordFrog68

Camfield and another KFJZ (yes, that's right) TV on cam talent, Ann Harper co-hosted Million Dollar Matinee, 1-3 p.m., after Mickey & Amanda's noon cartoon show.... Cam field operated Hoover the Hound hand puppet and Harper was his human partner....And they also operated Binky Beaver and Belinda Bunny hand puppets when M & A took a trouble-week vacation....Slam Bang originally was an afternoon, 5-6 p.m. Show and later was in the mornings....

westoverhillbilly

Oh yeah I remember going to birthday parties at Slam Bam theater to see Icky circa early 60's and watching the show on the local channel 11 all the time.. A friend of mine has a picture taken of him on the show with Hoss Cartright (Dan Blocker) of Bonanza holding him above his head while standing next to Icky- Hoss was in town for the rodeo.. Canfield's son went to North Hi Mount Elementary, Stripling & Heights as I recall.. Haven't thought of Icky in decades..

82Frog

Bill, Clem, Phil and Buddy had boundless energy. You didn't work for any particular person at 11, you worked with them. Many times we locked the cameras down and put on any costume we could find for SBT. I wore the gorilla costume numerous times. Did that ever stink! The station was literally operated by TCU alumni and RTV students. Remember Porter Randal, Dave Ramsey and I can't recall his name but his face is very clear. The weather man was a major or something at Carswell. We tried to make him smile or something to show the audience he was not a robot. He just couldn't do it. Phil Crow got into prof. baseball as a promoter of some kind and Clem, well no finer man to work with than Clem. Our RTV class in 61-62-63-64 produced great talent and most of them became very successful in Texas, L.A., Chicago and New York. I can't remember Rowdy's last name but he announced on 'The Price Is Right' for years. He's the one who said..."C'mon on down" Oh, remember WBAP Russ Bloxom, a good friend and his family gave TCU its first video board.

I worked with both Clem Candelaria and Phil Crow for several years at KTVT. I still see Phil from time to time.

Frog DJ

Wow! As a teenager, I worked with virtually all those people.

KFJZ and Channel 11 was a truly fun and inspiring place to start a career.

Go Frogs!

4 Oaks Frog

This was the time of Wolfman Jack, Soupy Sales, Mickey and Amanda, Rough and Ready...help me add things here, fellow old folks. Or as we are often called here "olds".
Mr. Peppermint, WFAA 8.
Bill Kelly, Children’s Hour, WBAP TV 5
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]