• The KillerFrogs

ot : uh being sued for discrimination in their hiring process of dana holgerson

Eight

you have to love people who want to be seen as local activist for their community, but don't realize they are doing more harm than good.

dr. kenneth simms is apparently suing uh for their discriminatory process of hiring holgerson. i am not a huge fan of fertitta's and i really don't like joseph duarte's smug self, but damn dude.

here is dr. simms back in january at the press conference introducing dana as the new uh football coach.

simms didn't let it go and recently filed suit in harris county which is his right, but.......i would think before you did that you would want to make sure you are going to come across as credible.

dr. simms claims that he has coached for thirty years and he was a more qualified candidate to be the head coach at uh than dana. trouble is no one can find out exactly where simms has coached.

he ran for mayor of houston back in 2011, was involved with some scam involving a houston city council man and some organization that was going to provide motivational services for some hisd schools.

he apparently is the director of the african american coaches association which a friend who coaches and is african american really didn't know too much about. he additionally is director of the all american coaches association and the ceo of the us national healthcare training services which i can't figure out exactly what they do after viewing their website which is always a good thing.

https://gocoogs.com/uh-sued/

found the story was good for a laugh just before the start of the year.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
you have to love people who want to be seen as local activist for their community, but don't realize they are doing more harm than good.

dr. kenneth simms is apparently suing uh for their discriminatory process of hiring holgerson i am not a huge fan of fertitta's and i really don't like joseph duarte's smug self, but damn dude.

here is dr. simms back in january at the press conference introducing dana as the new uh football coach.

simms didn't let it go and recently filed suit in harris county which is his right, but.......i would think before you did that you would want to make sure you are going to come across as credible.

dr. simms claims that he has coached for thirty years and he was a more qualified candidate to be the head coach at uh than dana. trouble is no one can find out exactly where simms has coached.

he ran for mayor of houston back in 2011, was involved with some scam involving a houston city council man and some organization that was going to provide motivational services for some hisd schools.

he apparently is the director of the african american coaches association which a friend who coaches and is african american really didn't know too much about. he additionally is director of the all american coaches association and the ceo of the us national healthcare training services which i can't figure out exactly what they do after viewing their website which is always a good thing.

https://gocoogs.com/uh-sued/

found the story interesting and was a good laugh just before the start of the year.

I think Holgo fits perfectly well if they are looking for a minority hire for the UH neighborhood...

BABYFACE

People like Simms live in an alternate reality. But, on the other hand, he has a good record in coach mode while playing Madden Football. He’s got that going for him.

Zubaz

1) There probably is merit to a complaint that in a sport where the majority of players are African American, when of the 128 head coaches only 13 are African American, it doesn't appear a minority candidate was ever seriously considered for the position (I can understand why from Houston's perspective, but it's still there). It is worth considering something like the Rooney rule, which has shown to be successful in the NFL, could help in the NCAA too.

2) A typo-ridden lawsuit from a "coach" with no college head coaching experience claiming to be more qualified than a guy who has won conference titles and BCS bowl games is probably not going to do anything to help that issue.

Both can be true at the same time.

tcudoc

ok.gif

Monetary inducement would have been Holgerson only reason for accepting the UH coaching position.

Most students who attend UH are generally compelled to do so for reasons other than their preferred

choice. UH location in Houston's notorious 3rd Ward (rated as the #15 most dangerous neighborhoods

in the U.S.) is a destination to be singularly avoided. Particularly avoid this area at night.

Pharm Frog

1) There probably is merit to a complaint that in a sport where the majority of players are African American, when of the 128 head coaches only 13 are African American, it doesn't appear a minority candidate was ever seriously considered for the position (I can understand why from Houston's perspective, but it's still there). It is worth considering something like the Rooney rule, which has shown to be successful in the NFL, could help in the NCAA too.

2) A typo-ridden lawsuit from a "coach" with no college head coaching experience claiming to be more qualified than a guy who has won conference titles and BCS bowl games is probably not going to do anything to help that issue.

1) No there’s not.
2) Agree

TCUdirtbag

Whether or not anyone agrees with #1 is beside the point. If so, though, what a TERRIBLE set of facts to test the case.

ftwfrog

This has 100% nothing to do with this topic but if you typed “U of H” in the title, I would’ve understood this quicker.

Anyone else read it as “uh”?

Zubaz

Since when is a man's race a qualification for a coaching position?
It's not, of course. However, when you are looking at numbers that appear to show one group under-represented, especially relative to the make-up of the players that they are coaching, it could be (not necessarily is, but could be) indicative that people are not getting opportunities for reasons other than their qualifications.

It's not, of course. However, when you are looking at numbers that appear to show one group under-represented, especially relative to the make-up of the players that they are coaching, it could be (not necessarily is, but could be) indicative that people are not getting opportunities for reasons other than their qualifications.

Do you have any evidence that a coach's qualifications are relevant to a player's qualifications? I mean, if the best players made the best coaches, Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Harvey Martin, etc, etc, all would have been great coaches right?

Were Saban or Sweeney great football players? Because they're certainly great coaches. How about Belichek or Tom Landry? Not standouts, that's for sure.

So I reject your premise that its somehow a bad thing that if one group is under-represented relative to the make-up of the players that they are coaching, it is indicative that people are not getting opportunities for reasons other than their qualifications, because the qualifications of the one group are irrelevant to the other.