• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

jake102

I remember watching his HUDL film for the first time and the thing that stood out was the WR (Marshall). I immediately asked on the board if we were recruiting him, and found out he was a 5 star. Not to say JR film wasn’t impressive, but the best player on the field was Marshall.

A little similar to SR and Shenault......

netty2424

You are right on and that's the rub - he has not played really but 1 full season and was a super star. He's loaded with talent but needs live scrimmage reps and lots of them, not 7 on 7. Will he get those reps this year, maybe not.

One thing for sure, his Mom has gone silent - IMO, not a good sign.
Has to be hard as a parent of a player to read the ship posted about their kids on a sports forum. I’m surprised she was as active as she was for that long. Who knows, maybe she’s still on the board lurking only.

That said, 247 has been very pro JR for the most part.

And it seems like everyone wants the kid to bounce back and be a factor here except Mr Collins, aka @McFroggin.

(kidding McFroggin).

puckster59

I don't understand the idea that Rogers' injury will cause him to transfer. Will transferring suddenly heal him? If he's not in playing condition here then why would he be in playing condition at a different school? Is the warm climate in Texas holding him back?
This is ridiculous. No one is saying his injury will cause him to transfer and he’ll suddenly be healed. I’m saying his falling behind Duggan and Matthews (per CGP’s quote about them) will lead to him looking elsewhere. He wants to play. So do a ton of kids who will take the same route. It’s been made too easy to do. It’s the world we live in now.

Eight

i think the one thing that is critical right now for all involved and following justin is patience.

very, very few of us if any truly know what is happening in pracitce, jeremy keeps saying that justin is healthier than we realize and the issue is decision making which is common for young quarterbacks.

the young man showed a great deal of physical talent as a junior, he performed well enough in the passing camps in the off-season to be invited to the elite 11 finals were he was among some of the very best quarterbacks in the country (i.e. trevor lawrence, and justin fields).

rogers impressed with his tools, it was noted he needed some work throwing the football, but he showed progress during the camp. then first game of his senior season he has the injury followed by months of extensive rehad.

finally, he is now getting to compete for the first time in two years and he needs work. he is having to compete with guys who have been practicing these past two years while he has been rehabbing.

i think we can't underestimate the mental challenge for players when possibly for the first time in their career they aren't the most physically talented, they can't make things happen as they did in high school, and they appear to be struggling with some things others seem to master without much effort.

i agree with 4th down in that justin needs reps, he needs work, and right now that is tough to find when you are one of multiple quarterbacks competing for reps.

might sound crazy, but i am not so sure the best thing for him right now might not be running the scout offense against the tcu defense. he will get a number of throws against a very good secondary. he will have to move, but be in a protected situation.

i could be all wrong, but really think he hasn't had much time to work on his skills compared to his peers and sometimes it does take a bit of time for some players to make the jump from high school.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

This is ridiculous. No one is saying his injury will cause him to transfer and he’ll suddenly be healed. I’m saying his falling behind Duggan and Matthews (per CGP’s quote about them) will lead to him looking elsewhere. He wants to play. So do a ton of kids who will take the same route. It’s been made too easy to do. It’s the world we live in now.
Ok, but if the injury is the reason why he's falling behind then it is the injury that would be causing him to transfer. By all accounts then he's not fully healthy and/or not in sync due to a lack of reps because of the time missed while injured. So the root cause is the injury no matter how you want to look at it.

If he goes through all of this year plus all of spring/summer/fall workouts next year in good health abd is behind Duggan and/or Baldwin then it may make sense from a playing time perspective.

I'm not saying he WON'T transfer this year because kids transfer all the time for a variety of reasons. I'm only saying that from a pure football and playing time perspective, if he were to transfer in December or sooner then it would absolutely be a result of the injury and that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Mean Purple

ok. so when the topic of the amount of injuries TCU has seen over recent seasons comes up, there are posts about another school losing 1 or two players. yeah, injuries happen everywhere ... but, how many other schools see the amount of injuries TCU sees in a season? For example: last year TCU had a lot of season ending injuries. And plenty where players missed 4 or more games.

kidkarr

i think the one thing that is critical right now for all involved and following justin is patience.

very, very few of us if any truly know what is happening in pracitce, jeremy keeps saying that justin is healthier than we realize and the issue is decision making which is common for your quarterbacks.

the young man showed a great deal of physical talent as a junior, he performed well enough in the passing camps in the off-season to be invited to the elite 11 finals were he was among some of the very best quarterbacks in the country (i.e. trevor lawrence, and justin fields).

rogers impressed with his tools, it was noted he needed some work throwing the football, but he showed progress during the camp. then first game of his senior season he has the injury followed by months of extensive rehad.

finally, he is now getting to compete for the first time in two years and he needs work. he is having to compete with guys who have been practicing these past two years while he has been rehabbing.

i think we can't underestimate the mental challenge for players when possibly for the first time in their career they aren't the most physically talented, they can't make things happen as they did in high school, and they appear to be struggling with some things others seem to master without much effort.

i agree with 4th down in that justin needs reps, he needs work, and right now that is tough to find when you are one of multiple quarterbacks competing for reps.

might sound crazy, but i am not so sure the best thing for him right now might not be running the scout offense against the tcu defense. he will get a number of throws against a very good secondary. he will have to move, but be in a protected situation.

i could be all wrong, but really think he hasn't had much time to work on his skills compared to his peers and sometimes it does take a bit of time for some players to make the jump from high school.
Very good post!

kidkarr

ok. so when the topic of the amount of injuries TCU has seen over recent seasons comes up, there are posts about another school losing 1 or two players. yeah, injuries happen everywhere ... but, how many other schools see the amount of injuries TCU sees in a season? For example: last year TCU had a lot of season ending injuries. And plenty where players missed 4 or more games.
Some of that is due to our “closeness” to this team. Major media outlets don’t usually make a big deal out of the #4 LB or #3 tackle getting hurt at xyz university . We scrutinize every little injury so it seems magnified, imo.

Mean Purple

Some of that is due to our “closeness” to this team. Major media outlets don’t usually make a big deal out of the #4 LB or #3 tackle getting hurt at xyz university . We scrutinize every little injury so it seems magnified, imo.
Likely based on past experience. So the nerves about injuries seems warranted in these parts. more than 30 guys missed 4 or more games last year. Significant injuries in the 20s.

4th. down

Very good post!

"might sound crazy, but i am not so sure the best thing for him right now might not be running the scout offense against the tcu defense. he will get a number of throws against a very good secondary. he will have to move, but be in a protected situation."

Let's hope he stays long enough for that to happen - that portal is very enticing. He's too far back now to get meaningful reps which is what he needs more than anything else. Physically, probably about 95% plus.

Eight

Getting more and more worried about the corner position by the day.

jeremy's mention today that tony wallace had surgery prior to coming to tcu and he is still not fully practicing is very concerning in regards to depth and really puts an exclamation point on daniels being lost for the season.

Eight

"might sound crazy, but i am not so sure the best thing for him right now might not be running the scout offense against the tcu defense. he will get a number of throws against a very good secondary. he will have to move, but be in a protected situation."

Let's hope he stays long enough for that to happen - that portal is very enticing. He's too far back now to get meaningful reps which is what he needs more than anything else. Physically, probably about 95% plus.

the way i see it is that rogers would benefit more from staying with tcu and going against that defense 3 tiimes a week, watching film with alex and sonny, working with the medical and s&c staff and making a decision a few months down the road than jumping now and ending up somewhere that doesn't offer the same learning and support resources.

4th. down

the way i see it is that rogers would benefit more from staying with tcu and going against that defense 3 tiimes a week, watching film with alex and sonny, working with the medical and s&c staff and making a decision a few months down the road than jumping now and ending up somewhere that doesn't offer the same learning and support resources.

Let's hope he follows your line of thinking but my question is, where does he get MEANINGFUL REPS in bunches which is what he needs more than anything.

Eight

Let's hope he follows your line of thinking but my question is, where does he get MEANINGFUL REPS in bunches which is what he needs more than anything.

not trying to sound like a lawyer, but a big key here is what are truly meaningful reps?

once the frogs get into their regular practice routine when they start implementing a game plan the bulk of those reps as we know are going to go to the starters and are tiered down from there. i can't imagine after delton and duggan there are a significant number of practice reps.

projecting from what we have heard, justin has had some issues with feeling the rush, the proverbial clock in his head getting the ball out quickly, some reads, some accuracy, and needing to anticipate more instead of waiting for a receiver to break free.

this is why i keep mentioned throwing for the scout offense against the defense. this isn't the same as throwing batting practice.

i can't imagine the defensive staff doesn't want someone who will physically challenge the secondary and what better place to get a feel for pressure, see a variety of blitz schemes, pass rush games, etc....?

TX_Krötenechse

TCU was unluckier than most schools last season with injuries, but it happens everywhere. You just know a lot more about TCU because you follow the news.

It’s surprisingly difficult to find any reporting on this at a high level, but if you pay attention to communities like /r/cfb or other multi-team boards, you’ll see a lot of injury talk for a lot of different teams.

You can also find the 247 running list of season-ending injuries ... TCU has two (Bunce and Daniels), neither of which were projected starters. Maryland has lost their #1 receiver and a quarterback. Alabama lost a star RB and a starting ILB. A&M lost a starting TE and a rotational WR. Arkansas lost a starting WR and a tackle pushing for starting job.

The list goes on and on. TCU was unlucky last season, true, but day in and day out we are far from the most injury-ridden team in CFB. Read up on Maryland’s QB troubles over the past few years, or just remember a few years back when Baylor had to start a wide receiver at QB due to injury (2015 I think?).