• The KillerFrogs

OT - Golf ball choice

Mean Purple

I got a dozen Pro V1s in a tourney gift bag a month ago, so I’m using those up at the moment. Used to buy the Bridgestone b330 Tour, but I bought some Callaway Supersoft fluorescent green balls several months ago as a gag for this get-together me and a couple dozen high school friends do every year, and it turns out I really like them. Feels soft like a balata almost, but way more durable, and if there’s any loss of distance, it’s not noticeable. Still hitting the same yardages.
Almost the same for me, FIL. Just add the Titleist Velocity. It played better than I expected. The Callaways are great to play. I liked the bridgestones but the feel was different.

Mean Purple

The cheapest "Tour" ball I can find. Some of my favorites.

NXT Tour or ProV (not cheap)
Bridgestone e6 (not really Tour-level), B330 or B RX (not cheap)
Taylormade Project a

Cant remember the last time I bought golf balls though. I ask for a couple dozen every Christmas, and they easily get me through the year, because I don't play that often.
I played the e6 for a while. It was good in wet conditions. Just draw it and the dang thing would move.

Billy Clyde

Was walking the beach one evening at Pebble with a GF years ago(the mean one), and we struck up a chat with a guy who lived on the course. He had a grocery sack full that he had just picked up, said they were all from the same spot. Said that anyone who misses the green on 7 and goes in the ocean, because of tides the balls all wind up in the same spot in a shallow pool. #localknowledge.

My advice, unless you are a 4 or 5 handicap or below, then buy the best “premium” ball that is on sale. This would include the Pro V1 (rarely on sale), TP5 or TP5x, Chrome Soft, Bridgestone BX/BXS/BRX/BRXS, or Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV.

If you can’t find those for $35 or less, buy the Taylor Made Project A or the Vice Golf Pro or Pro+. Titleist Tour Soft is also good and in that price range.

Most premium golf balls are so good today that only advanced players really need to worry about unique performance characteristics specific to a particular ball.

Punter1

I've always been a huge Pro V1 guy but on Par 3s ans shorter Par 4s I've started using the Wilson Staff Duo in matte orange.

It is incredibly soft and just has an outstanding ball flight and spin/stop qualities. They are cheap also. Best iron and short game ball I've ever played...and I play waaaay too much.

PO Frog

I've always been a huge Pro V1 guy but on Par 3s ans shorter Par 4s I've started using the Wilson Staff Duo in matte orange.

It is incredibly soft and just has an outstanding ball flight and spin/stop qualities. They are cheap also. Best iron and short game ball I've ever played...and I play waaaay too much.
If you ever make it to the Tour, you will no longer be able to switch balls based on the hole. So don't get too reliant on it. Or don't get so good you are forced to play on Tour.

Eight

If you ever make it to the Tour, you will no longer be able to switch balls based on the hole. So don't get too reliant on it. Or don't get so good you are forced to play on Tour.

tour? i know some old guys at a local muni who will damn near cut you if they catch you switching balls in a game they are playing you for lunch money.

PO Frog

tour? i know some old guys at a local muni who will damn near cut you if they catch you switching balls in a game they are playing you for lunch money.
Maybe so, but it isn't against the rules to switch as long as it is between holes and not during. The "one ball rule" only affects higher level tournaments. Not to be confused with the "four walls, two balls" rule that is in effect at all times in the bedroom.

SnoSki

Maybe so, but it isn't against the rules to switch as long as it is between holes and not during. The "one ball rule" only affects higher level tournaments. Not to be confused with the "four walls, two balls" rule that is in effect at all times in the bedroom.
Wait, you guys have 2?

I guess I've played about everything at one point or another. Lately I was playing Callaway Chrome Soft but last was given some TaylorMade Project a balls and have decided I really like those. Good around the greens and I seem to average a bit more off the tee. Basically, I agree that all the premium balls are good and unless you spend hours dialing in every club, the difference is minimal.