• The KillerFrogs

OT - Golf ball choice

Frog-in-law1995

I got a dozen Pro V1s in a tourney gift bag a month ago, so I’m using those up at the moment. Used to buy the Bridgestone b330 Tour, but I bought some Callaway Supersoft fluorescent green balls several months ago as a gag for this get-together me and a couple dozen high school friends do every year, and it turns out I really like them. Feels soft like a balata almost, but way more durable, and if there’s any loss of distance, it’s not noticeable. Still hitting the same yardages.

gdu

If I have to pay for balls, I will usually buy 2017 TaylorMade TP5. Can usually get them for $35/dz or less. Good distance off the tee and lots of spin around the greens.

I almost always find more balls than I lose while playing, and the lion's share of those are Pro V1.

Paint It Purple

I got a dozen Pro V1s in a tourney gift bag a month ago, so I’m using those up at the moment. Used to buy the Bridgestone b330 Tour, but I bought some Callaway Supersoft fluorescent green balls several months ago as a gag for this get-together me and a couple dozen high school friends do every year, and it turns out I really like them. Feels soft like a balata almost, but way more durable, and if there’s any loss of distance, it’s not noticeable. Still hitting the same yardages.
I am glad you mentioned the Callaway's. I've always bought Titleist ProV, only because I thought they were the best. They are of course if I was a tour or even an accomplished golfer. I've been doing some reading and it looks like that I should save the money and use something like Callaway or Wilson soft, two piece balls. (I know it's dangerous talking about soft balls with all these juveniles around)

GoFrog Yourself

Kirkland (Costco brand) makes a three piece that’s pretty well rated. Haven’t tried it yet but it’s a dollar a ball which is a steal for a three piece

MTfrog5

If I have to pay for balls, I will usually buy 2017 TaylorMade TP5. Can usually get them for $35/dz or less. Good distance off the tee and lots of spin around the greens.

I almost always find more balls than I lose while playing, and the lion's share of those are Pro V1.
TP5 is what I have now and those are probably the ones I like the best right now. Love how they feel around the greens. Bridgestone Tour B is another I like a lot because of the spin around the greens

Double V

The cheapest "Tour" ball I can find. Some of my favorites.

NXT Tour or ProV (not cheap)
Bridgestone e6 (not really Tour-level), B330 or B RX (not cheap)
Taylormade Project a

Cant remember the last time I bought golf balls though. I ask for a couple dozen every Christmas, and they easily get me through the year, because I don't play that often.

Frog-in-law1995

I am glad you mentioned the Callaway's. I've always bought Titleist ProV, only because I thought they were the best. They are of course if I was a tour or even an accomplished golfer. I've been doing some reading and it looks like that I should save the money and use something like Callaway or Wilson soft, two piece balls. (I know it's dangerous talking about soft balls with all these juveniles around)

I fought against the dying of the light, but am starting to get very comfortable with a slower, easier pace in life that no longer views speed limits as a challenge, that recognizes I’ll probably regret that Tabasco later, and that acknowledges my sand wedge is NOT my 160 stick.

Eight

Whatever I find in the woods or in a lake while I make the group behind me wait while I search for them.

my late father was an avid golfer and the last 5 years of his time playing golf he became the finder of all lost golf ball.

round with him could easily take 4 1/2-5 hours as on every hole he seemed to find a couple of balls. he would wave people through, sometimes without telling us, but oh well.

when my parents sold their house and moved to the complex my mom now lives he gave our son and i 2 large buckets apiece filled with found golf balls and both of us are still playing from our "inheritance"

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What do you play and why?
Golf. Because I'm into crushing disappointment and forlorn hope of improvement.

Found golf balls: Once upon a time, some years ago, I booked a group to play the course at South Padre Island C.C. My Dad, Uncle, cousins and some local friends formed a big herd and we flailed our way along the course. There wasn't really anyone else out there, so we were having all kinds of fun and keeping the beer cart girls busy. On one hole that had a long sandy waste area off to the right, I went down to find my ball (Yeah, a slice. So there.) amongst the cactus and other interesting native plants. The area was littered with golf balls! Like, nobody had ever bothered to pick them up! It was a treasure trove! I put some choice specimens in my pocket, flopped my ball back up on the fairway (My Uncle, who was down in the waste with me, topped his ball into the side of the embankment short of the fairway. I asked, "Where'd you hit it?" He answered, "Right in the forehead."), and clambered back up the rise to the grass. It wasn't until we were all on the green that I mentioned all the free balls in the waste area. "Here, look..." and tossed a nice, brand-new looking ball to my cousin. He caught it and yelped. A tiny cactus spine had poked his hand, the other end being stuck in the golf ball I had tossed. Closer examination showed many little spines sticking out of the "brand-new" ball.

Uh oh.

Very carefully, I began to remove the other "brand-new" balls from my pocket...