• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Froggish

So I’m wondering just how much does winning/losing have an effect on recruiting? Consider that this years team has roughly 6 future pros on it and all have been in the program for 3-4 years that would take us back to our 14&15 runs...That would at least indicate that winning in 14 & 15 probably had a positive impact on landing the players that we are going to be sending to the NFL on the next 2 years....

I agree we will never out recruit UT, A&M, or OU and I’ll go as far as to say we likely still wouldn’t after making a playoff. Those are programs that are always going to recruit in the top 10. But I do think winning big would close the gap tremendously and set us up well for a post GP future..The goal should be to consistently recruit around the top 20. It’s not beating every blue blood on the trail, it’s making marginal strides toward getting more physically gifted kids.

Wexahu

So I’m wondering just how much does winning/losing have an effect on recruiting? Consider that this years team has roughly 6 future pros on it and all have been in the program for 3-4 years that would take us back to our 14&15 runs...That would at least indicate that winning in 14 & 15 probably had a positive impact on landing the players that we are going to be sending to the NFL on the next 2 years....

I agree we will never out recruit UT, A&M, or OU and I’ll go as far as to say we likely still wouldn’t after making a playoff. Those are programs that are always going to recruit in the top 10. But I do think winning big would close the gap tremendously and set us up well for a post GP future..The goal should be to consistently recruit around the top 20. It’s not beating every blue blood on the trail, it’s making marginal strides toward getting more physically gifted kids.

Winning helps recruiting a great deal for programs like TCU. Winning also adds butts in seats which is a big thing with recruits as well. Winning doesn’t really matter for other schools and they don’t have a butts in seats problem.

TX_Krötenechse

Jeremy Clark once said that a school’s recent win/loss record isn’t a big factor for most recruits. They want to play for winning programs, but having a bad year doesn’t scare kids off in most cases.

Froggy Style

I remember when the same types of people freaked out when Gray when to Texas and we had to get another player in Deante Grey.

When Gary says he wants to go to his old ways, he’s saying hard working bad ass under the radar guys are better than spoiled and coddled four star since their freshman year guys. Yes, we’ve had a few four star guys work out, but 10x that amount not work out and transfer because they don’t want to be coached.

Don’t fret, whether our guys are first or second choice, Gary ends up finding a Kindred if the four star guy doesn’t come, and then the two star Kindred, Hughes, Washington etc is a bad ass.

People fretting now is just insecurity of losing a recruiting battle vs Texas. Get our QB situation right, and we’ll be fine.

Froggish

I remember when the same types of people freaked out when Gray when to Texas and we had to get another player in Deante Grey.

When Gary says he wants to go to his old ways, he’s saying hard working bad ass under the radar guys are better than spoiled and coddled four star since their freshman year guys. Yes, we’ve had a few four star guys work out, but 10x that amount not work out and transfer because they don’t want to be coached.

Don’t fret, whether our guys are first or second choice, Gary ends up finding a Kindred if the four star guy doesn’t come, and then the two star Kindred, Hughes, Washington etc is a bad ass.

People fretting now is just insecurity of losing a recruiting battle vs Texas. Get our QB situation right, and we’ll be fine.

GP, as good as he is, isn’t for everyone. Expecting him to become a dynamic salesman after 20+ years is foolish. He does what he does well and it works for him and TCU. I think at the root of most of the “fretting” you describe is that the choices of top recruits in TX really are a reflection of pecking order. Nobody like to be the 3 or 4th wheel in their own state. When the pretty ones continually turn you down you know where you rank..

Wexahu

GP, as good as he is, isn’t for everyone. Expecting him to become a dynamic salesman after 20+ years is foolish. He does what he does well and it works for him and TCU. I think at the root of most of the “fretting” you describe is that the choices of top recruits in TX really are a reflection of pecking order. Nobody like to be the 3 or 4th wheel in their own state. When the pretty ones continually turn you down you know where you rank..

I think you’re way too hung up on losing recruits to UT. We were losing recruits to them in ‘15 and ‘16 when we were coming off great seasons (and totally kicking UTs ass in the process) and they stunk.

We are always going to get out-recruited by UT in terms of getting the highly publicized kids. I’d worry more about what happens on the field

Froggish

I think you’re way too hung up on losing recruits to UT. We were losing recruits to them in ‘15 and ‘16 when we were coming off great seasons (and totally kicking UTs ass in the process) and they stunk.

We are always going to get out-recruited by UT in terms of getting the highly publicized kids. I’d worry more about what happens on the field

I’m actually not hung up on it at all. Your absolute right in that we been getting recruiting beat by UT forever and that’s not going to change. We need to be ok with it. Statistically though we will need to wrestle a few more physically gifted kids away from others if we have aspirations to ever play for a National Championship. I’m sure we can all at least agree with that.

Now maybe it’s absurd to think National Championships are silly for a program like ours to aspire to..I don’t think so but I would wager there are some around here who would say it’s unrealistic and just be comfortable in your own skin..

Wexahu

I’m actually not hung up on it at all. Your absolute right in that we been getting recruiting beat by UT forever and that’s not going to change. We need to be ok with it. Statistically though we will need to wrestle a few more physically gifted kids away from others if we have aspirations to ever play for a National Championship. I’m sure we can all at least agree with that.

Now maybe it’s absurd to think National Championships are silly for a program like ours to aspire to..I don’t think so but I would wager there are some around here who would say it’s unrealistic and just be comfortable in your own skin..

Every time they land another recruit you see a bunch of comments about how they are killing it on the recruiting trail, they are doing everything right, and we need to step up our game or we're going to be left behind. It just gets old. They've been killing it on the recruiting trail forever and in the last 40 years I think they have a grand total of six outright conference championships and one national title.

I don't think it's absurd to think TCU could win a National Title, but I'd say the odds of it happening even once in the next 50 years are probably less than 50/50, maybe a lot less. And we have some fans who think once we lose 2 games the season is pretty much over. That's ridiculous. As long as we can regularly beat OSU, Baylor, Tech, K-State and WVU it will be a hell of a lot of fun around here. We'll win a few against OU and UT too when we have our better teams and they don't. Might even have a stretch against one of them like we had against UT from '14 - '17 which is icing on the cake.

PhillyFrog

Dunno if you guys saw it, but Joshua Moore was arrested on weapons charges last month.

4-Star WR Class of 18 from Yoakum.

Frogs did not offer.

We've had our share of these kinds of clowns, but shadenfreude anyway.

Froggy Style

I know where we rank because I look at the rankings at the end of the year and they don’t correlate to recruiting...at least for TCU.

Your insecurity does correlate to recruiting rankings.

Froggish

I know where we rank because I look at the rankings at the end of the year and they don’t correlate to recruiting...at least for TCU.

Your insecurity does correlate to recruiting rankings.

Important to remember that recruiting rankings are simply a reflection of physical ability and upside...AKA how big, fast, and quick. All else is speculation. I’m under no illusion that those qualities necessarily translate to on field success. But if you utilize the rankings for just that looking at Size, Speed, and Quickness, they are actually more accurate than ever. These top kids have tons of tape and go to dozens of evaluation camps between their Soph and Sr years. We know how physically gifted they are but there are slews if additional things that make a kid successful. Heart, fight and great coaching are just a few.

As for your end of year records, how far back are you looking?....Are you considering 12, 13, 16, and 18? Since joining the Big12? With the exception of UT we’ve finished about where we ranked in recruiting against our conference peers

Eight

my thoughts are not driven by losing a recruit to texas or tcu not having recruiting classes ranked at the level of texas, ou, or atm.

many of the top talent on this current roster selected the frogs over those schools and while i don't think i will ever see where tcu on a regular basis continually have similar ranked class i do believe the frogs will need to win some head to head battles.

the concern which i thought i clearly stated was tcu has exactly 1 recruit from the metroplex, none from the houston area, and 4 from the state. go find another time period in gary's 19 years where that was the case for a tcu class.

supposedly the metroplex is a priority and the class has 1 recruit. when luper came to tcu he was key in making some big changes in how tcu recruited and the results could be seen in the level of athlete signed by tcu.

since that time there have been some significant changes at tcu and at other schools that recruit the area. new staffs at ou, texas, atm, and arkansas.

the frogs have some coaches on their staff that are very good in recruiting, but it is time to bulk up the support statf and adjust how the message is being delivered.