• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Froggish

i have said it multiple times, we don't do a great job selling the program compared to other schools, and it does worry me when gary talks about going back to the way they used to do some things.

I think GP just understands that it’s an arms race that he can’t win and he feels his staff can spend their energies in better places. I get it but I don’t like it. TCU is out to market recruiting moms and dads (family) in a “me first” players world. It’s a tough sale. I think that pitch resonates with a lot of kids but not very many big time recruits who have been treated like min celebrities a good portion of the teen years

Eight

I think GP just understands that it’s an arms race that he can’t win and he feels his staff can spend their energies in better places. I get it but I don’t like it. TCU is out to market recruiting moms and dads (family) in a “me first” players world. It’s a tough sale. I think that pitch resonates with a lot of kids but not very many big time recruits who have been treated like min celebrities a good portion of the teen years

there is absolutely no reason why tcu is not getting recruits in the houston area and the metroplex.

i damn well know dana hasn't taken the approach he can't recruit houston because of texas, atm, lsu, etc... and kids wanting to leave home. .

frogs back office support is not up to par, the campus has not been as open and inviting to recruits and coaches as other programs and there are too many lesser programs pulling talent.

friend years ago said when you get near the end of your career you find yourself drifting towards the things you like the most and you have to remind yourself to pay attention to the things you might not like, but have to do to stay competitive.

gary likes working with kids, gary likes developing young coaches, gary likes competing, but i have never felt gary loves recruiting.

no problem, turn to some of those younger coaches and get yourself back to being competitive

Froggish

there is absolutely no reason why tcu is not getting recruits in the houston area and the metroplex.

i damn well know dana hasn't taken the approach he can't recruit houston because of texas, atm, lsu, etc... and kids wanting to leave home. .

frogs back office support is not up to par, the campus has not been as open and inviting to recruits and coaches as other programs and there are too many lesser programs pulling talent.

friend years ago said when you get near the end of your career you find yourself drifting towards the things you like the most and you have to remind yourself to pay attention to the things you might not like, but have to do to stay competitive.

gary likes working with kids, gary likes developing young coaches, gary likes competing, but i have never felt gary loves recruiting.

no problem, turn to some of those younger coaches and get yourself back to being competitive

I think on some level he’s done that. Fitch, Modkins, and Cumbie have done very well. I think most of our issues are centered around our approach. GPs never going to not want to evaluate a recruit to death before an offer. Nor should he. If your going to recruit the over looked and “potential” types you have to place a premium on the evaluations. He might be the best at it in all of CFB. The issue is that It slows the whole offer process down and at some point you have to trust a 5 Star is a 5 star and get in their and offer/build relationships early.

Just from a strategic perspective if what differentiates you from UT and A&Ham is the small school family atmosphere, then I would double down on that and create an unparalleled family experience. Both in the recruiting process and while they are playing for the Frogs. Use every thing at your disposal to identify the top recruits that you believe have parents who will be highly influential in the recruiting process. Don’t break rules but create methodology and resources that help parents feel as though they are bettering themselves as much as their child is by choosing TCU

netty2424

TCU needs to worry about just getting dudes despite where they’re from, our backyard or not. And it kind of looks like GP sees the writing on the wall with Herman figuring things out and Jimbo at A&M, we’re fighting an uphill battle in Texas no matter how good we are.

People downplay the atmosphere at AGCS, but recruits come to games too. When the stands are empty 3 of 4 quarters bc people are elsewhere, recruits see it. Hopefully the changes this year will help.

LSU Game Attendee

TCU needs to worry about just getting dudes despite where they’re from, our backyard or not. And it kind of looks like GP sees the writing on the wall with Herman figuring things out and Jimbo at A&M, we’re fighting an uphill battle in Texas no matter how good we are.

People downplay the atmosphere at AGCS, but recruits come to games too. When the stands are empty 3 of 4 quarters bc people are elsewhere, recruits see it. Hopefully the changes this year will help.
If you want packed stands at TCU, win. If you want a dedicated fan base, watch Iowa State.

froginmn

Good Lord, call a hotline and give it a rest.

Froggish

While I agree, the issues that are causing us to lose recruits to UT, A&M, and OU in our state really aren’t any different then the issue your going to deal with in LSU, FL, or USCs backyards.

Winning will cure some things but even that will never turn us into a recruiting juggernaut. It’s not in our DNA. We just need to get better and faster at identifying GP type difference makers and getting in front of them and their families. The only way you beat the established big brands is getting their first and owning who you are

JockO de Frog

Goodness, everyone is focusing on who we've missed out on and don't seem to see the ones we are landing. Plus, it's a long way till the end of December and if we have a great season like I think we will, we could possibly get some flips. The coaches are doing a good job in recruiting.

netty2424

Goodness, everyone is focusing on who we've missed out on and don't seem to see the ones we are landing. Plus, it's a long way till the end of December and if we have a great season like I think we will, we could possibly get some flips. The coaches are doing a good job in recruiting.
If we offers players and they choose not to commit here, it’s worthy of discussion in a recruiting thread, no?

Moose Stuff

If we offers players and they choose not to commit here, it’s worthy of discussion in a recruiting thread, no?

Discussion...... sure. But it’s too often a major issue for some on here that we can’t hang with UT on the recruiting trail and it must change. Note to the board..... we’ve NEVER hung with UT (or OU or LSU or whoever) on the recruiting trail and probably never will with any consistency. GP will sign solid classes, many will turn into very good college players, they will win far more than they lose during their time in FW, some will play in the NFL..... reality.

Last edited:

MTfrog5

Not sure your responses. UT is cleaning up & y’all know that was what my response meant. Is this not true about UTs class?
I took it as you were talking about our class after not getting the WR. I don’t really care about Texas class. Strong had a couple top classes too and before someone says Herman is a better coach, how do you know? Houston lost to SMU, Navy, Memphis the year after winning the peach Bowl and the same season they beat OU.

Moose Stuff

Not sure your responses. UT is cleaning up & y’all know that was what my response meant. Is this not true about UTs class?

Cleaning up now, cleaning up last year, cleaning up 10 years ago, 2o years ago, 10 years from now, 20 years from now..... you get the point. I only worry about us and we’re doing just fine with the 3rd best average ranking per recruit in the Big 12 and pretty solid separation from everyone behind us.

berryfrog95

I took it as you were talking about our class after not getting the WR. I don’t really care about Texas class. Strong had a couple top classes too and before someone says Herman is a better coach, how do you know? Houston lost to SMU, Navy, Memphis the year after winning the peach Bowl and the same season they beat OU.

I am confident our coaches are doing the best they can in recruiting. I’ve never been negative about any of our classes. It does stink missing out on a couple that were interested in TCU. But just like in the past, we got JET over UT and they settled on Kyle Porter, that worked out really well for us.