• The KillerFrogs

Purdue 2019 preview on BTN

Horny4TCU

Hope GP has added in some TE protection.

doggy-butthole-cover-640x533.jpg

Attachments

• butthole.jpeg
    butthole.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Bama and Ohio State won’t make the CFP with 2 losses either. That’s the point. What I was responding to was the post that said the CFP screwed everything up because now “TCU” can’t lose two games. Why single out TCU? Nobody makes it with 2 losses and probably won’t unless they play a hell of a lot better teams than FCS, SMU and Purdue in OOC.

Yeah, maybe, but they won’t be written off at light speed like TCU. And I’m guessing there are still people that would give An Ohio State or Bama the benefit of the doubt if they ran the table.

Pharm Frog

How is that different than the past? Lose two during the BCS era or poll era, and have no chance at the national championship.

BCS era was not a playoff. Was just another glorified bowl game. The four-team invitational playoff system has created a situation now where many fans think it's make it or your season was a bust. Few thought that during the BCS but I imagine that some did. My point is that there's a growing sentiment among fans that it's get into the playoffs or your season sucked. I am not among these. And it seems like some people are fixated on the 2-loss scenario. I contend that a one-loss TCU would need help from one of the other conferences to make said four-team invitational. While it would be best for that one-loss to be to Purdue, I think another positive one-loss situation would be a conference loss to OU or UT avenged in the championship game. Otherwise, would probably need one or more other conferences to cannibalize.

Ron Swanson

I think the idea that we should definitely crush them and they are far inferior to us is a little biased for a team that had the year we had last year.

I think we will probably be much improved, and I’m guessing we win the game, but we haven’t seen that improvement on the field yet. I’m optimistic about the season, but definitely not confident about anything yet.

Y’all have to remember that we all talk ourselves into TCU being good every single year, and the confidence gets stronger and stronger as the season opener grows nearer every single year. By the time opening weekend rolls around, we’ve all message board circle-jerked ourselves into thinking we’re gonna be fighting for a playoff spot if things go our way.

Wexahu

Yeah, maybe, but they won’t be written off at light speed like TCU. And I’m guessing there are still people that would give An Ohio State or Bama the benefit of the doubt if they ran the table.

Sure they would. The only 2-loss teams that remotely got any consideration were OU in 2016 and OSU in 2017, and OU played Houston/Ohio State in OOC and Ohio State played OU. And their 2 losses still cost them without a lot of controversy at all. Ohio State has missed the CFP with only one loss two times already. There's no way in hell a team with a poor OOC (like Bama and Ohio State this year) is making the CFP with two losses.

With 2 losses they are either going to have lost to a terrible OOC team or not make their CFG, maybe both. There is just no path for them to make it, whether it's Alabama, Ohio State, TCU, or anyone else. Facts are ignored when talking about this subject more than any other. A few years ago everyone on here said there is NO WAY the Big 10 would ever be left out of a playoff. How did that work out?

CountryFrog

I think the idea that we should definitely crush them and they are far inferior to us is a little biased for a team that had the year we had last year.

I think we will probably be much improved, and I’m guessing we win the game, but we haven’t seen that improvement on the field yet. I’m optimistic about the season, but definitely not confident about anything yet.

Y’all have to remember that we all talk ourselves into TCU being good every single year, and the confidence gets stronger and stronger as the season opener grows nearer every single year. By the time opening weekend rolls around, we’ve all message board circle-jerked ourselves into thinking we’re gonna be fighting for a playoff spot if things go our way.
If things go MY way then we won't just be fighting for a playoff spot, the committee will simply name us the champs because no one else is even deserving of being on the same field. Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney will both be seen in front of DMC kissing the bronze shoes of GP's statue in a search for wisdom and truth.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Sure they would. The only 2-loss teams that remotely got any consideration were OU in 2016 and OSU in 2017, and OU played Houston/Ohio State in OOC and Ohio State played OU. And their 2 losses still cost them without a lot of controversy at all. Ohio State has missed the CFP with only one loss two times already. There's no way in hell a team with a poor OOC (like Bama and Ohio State this year) is making the CFP with two losses.

With 2 losses they are either going to have lost to a terrible OOC team or not make their CFG, maybe both. There is just no path for them to make it, whether it's Alabama, Ohio State, TCU, or anyone else. Facts are ignored when talking about this subject more than any other. A few years ago everyone on here said there is NO WAY the Big 10 would ever be left out of a playoff. How did that work out?

Everyone? No way ever? I don’t recall anyone ever making such a definitive claim.

Wexahu

Everyone? No way ever? I don’t recall anyone ever making such a definitive claim.

Quite a few people, and I don't doubt that there was some hyperbole and they really didn't believe what they were saying, but sure, a majority of the people on here were pretty adamant that the CFP committee would never leave the Big 10 out of the playoff. And especially media darling Ohio State. And here since 2015 OSU has been left out twice as a 1-loss team (and one of those a conference champion) and another time as a 2-loss conference champion.

It's almost comical how much people have been proven wrong yet they just can't accept it.

Purp

They lost everyone on that offense except Rondale Moore.
I was waiting on someone else to make this point before doing so myself. Moore is a really dynamic player. He'll be a tough cover, but he's the only threat I see and CGP does well at neutralizing weapons like this in his game plans.

I think the point is valid that the offensive system is likely to be very similar this season, but I don't expect the execution to be anything close to what we saw of them last year. Even then, they were wildly inconsistent and teams that kept Moore from gouging them were able to win convincingly.

Purp

They have some pass catchers returning and their QB has a great arm. He’s a deep ball passer. He was the starter but was hurt in the first game last year and has 20 TD passes in his career at Purdue. They guy he beat out for the job last year had to take over when he got hurt. That guy is in an NFL camp right now. They are going to attack us down field and with the TE.
He completed fewer than 60% of his passes for a total of under 300 yards in a game an a half. He also threw 3 picks. He may not have finished the year as the starter even if he'd stayed healthy.

What he does bring is a ton of senior leadership given the fact he's a 5th year guy with a 6th year of eligibility to use after this year. That said, he's not the kind of QB who will scare this defense. Moore is the kind of player who will, but the QB isn't and neither will anybody else on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm optimistic we'll win this game, but far from confident for 2 reasons.

1) Last year's offense was a disaster and until this year's offense proves to me they're better against someone other than Arkansas PB I'll be reluctant to believe it.
2) We were miserable at winning the turnover battle last year and if that trend continues we could be 20 times better than them and still lose. IMO, the only way they get double digits on the score board is with a defensive score or ST tally.

I don't expect them to score double digits against us, but that's really up to our offense. I feel like the staff won't let Delton take enough chances to turn it over much, but then we still need our skill guys to not fumble also. I do think we should score double digits against them, but I'm not very certain about that solely based on last year's offensive performance.

If both teams play clean games without a lot of mistakes I think we should win by a couple TDs. It's our abillty to play a clean game that will have me nervous until I see enough games to establish a different trend.

Froginbedford

He completed fewer than 60% of his passes for a total of under 300 yards in a game an a half. He also threw 3 picks. He may not have finished the year as the starter even if he'd stayed healthy.

What he does bring is a ton of senior leadership given the fact he's a 5th year guy with a 6th year of eligibility to use after this year. That said, he's not the kind of QB who will scare this defense. Moore is the kind of player who will, but the QB isn't and neither will anybody else on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm optimistic we'll win this game, but far from confident for 2 reasons.

1) Last year's offense was a disaster and until this year's offense proves to me they're better against someone other than Arkansas PB I'll be reluctant to believe it.
2) We were miserable at winning the turnover battle last year and if that trend continues we could be 20 times better than them and still lose. IMO, the only way they get double digits on the score board is with a defensive score or ST tally.

I don't expect them to score double digits against us, but that's really up to our offense. I feel like the staff won't let Delton take enough chances to turn it over much, but then we still need our skill guys to not fumble also. I do think we should score double digits against them, but I'm not very certain about that solely based on last year's offensive performance.

If both teams play clean games without a lot of mistakes I think we should win by a couple TDs. It's our abillty to play a clean game that will have me nervous until I see enough games to establish a different trend.

If the better team always won every game I wouldn’t much worry about this one, but it’s not like we haven’t lost some head scratchers before. I expect a good game, it’s not like they are awful. Their D is supposed to be pretty solid.
Where did you see that their D is "pretty solid"? Their D was garbage last year. Ranked 100th. Pass D was 124th. They return a lot of starters, but that's probably a bad thing.

Wexahu

Where did you see that their D is "pretty solid"? Their D was garbage last year. Ranked 100th. Pass D was 124th. They return a lot of starters, but that's probably a bad thing.

Really just the preseason magazines, that seems to be the consensus, I guess it's based on returning players. But you're right, I looked at the stats and they were pretty awful so it does seem odd. Generally they are seen as a program on the uptick with this year maybe being a struggle based on who they lost on offense.

In any event, I don't expect it to be a cakewalk.