• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

GP's Step-Son

Barring major injuries 9-3 to me is almost a worst case scenario.

I think we go 6-0 to start including a win at Ames. To follow up 3-3 against Texas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Tech, OU and WV would be a major let down.

OSU, Baylor, Tech and WV should be wins even without all the changes.

Texas is a win unless things just go south and OU is OU.

Even with a loss at Ames I think we get to 10-2, but 11-1 is not unrealistic and who knows what the teams will look like when TCU and OU finally matchup near the end.

I'm pretty much right there on your page. I do believe we'll play OU in the B12 title game, probably a 10-2 record.

The one thing that keeps creeping back in my head is this dreadful ODD year schedule. Road conference games at Ames, Manhattan, Stillwater, Lubbock, Norman. Even if some of those teams are somewhat down (K ST, Ok ST, TT), those venues are still tough to play at.

I wish they'd reshuffle the schedule, I really do. 2014 was a prime example of what can happen when we're really good AND we have the EVEN year favorable conference schedule.

TAINTed frog

Barring major injuries 9-3 to me is almost a worst case scenario.

I think we go 6-0 to start including a win at Ames. To follow up 3-3 against Texas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Tech, OU and WV would be a major let down.

OSU, Baylor, Tech and WV should be wins even without all the changes.

Texas is a win unless things just go south and OU is OU.

Even with a loss at Ames I think we get to 10-2, but 11-1 is not unrealistic and who knows what the teams will look like when TCU and OU finally matchup near the end.

This Big 12 preview agrees with you.

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-12-preview-124800008.html

TCU 9-3 (6-3 in conference)

TCU Horned Frogs
2018 record: 7 - 6

Best NFL Draft prospect: Junior WR Jalen Reagor. We're not done with the wideouts yet, and Reagor's explosive ability with the ball in his hands will make him one of the top at the position assuming he doesn't come back for his senior season.

The case for: TCU was a huge disappointment in 2018, and no, I'm not just talking about the Cheez-It Bowl. In fact, let's never talk about the Cheez-It Bowl again. That was the most inept offensive football game I've ever watched, and if it wasn't for the fact it became hilarious, I'd be traumatized for ever. Okay, enough about the Cheez-It Bowl.

As bad as the Horned Frogs' offense was for a large portion of the year, much of that was due to injuries, and assuming their attrition is kept to a low roar in 2019, they should be better. One of those players, of course, is Reagor, who underwent an operation in the offseason but is expected to be fully healthy for the fall. Here's a look at what he can do with the football:

And Reagor should have some help, too. We really like the tailback tandem of Darius Anderson and Sewo Olonilua, and we also like the fact that they're going to be running behind Lucas Niang, who just might challenge Reagor as the top pro prospect on the team. The other wideouts are all inexperienced, but Taye Barber caught 33 passes as a freshman, and should be a very solid -- maybe better -- second option behind Reagor.

The Horned Frogs lost a pair of defensive lineman to the NFL in L.J. Collier and Ben Banogu, but the front four should be fine in 2019, in large part -- literally and figuratively -- due to the defensive tackles. Ross Blacklock is back after missing 2018 and should be among the best interior defenders in the conference, and Corey Bethley was a very strong performer last year with five sacks. Losing Banogu and Collier hurts because of course it does, but TCU has a history of replacing these kind of talents, and South Carolina transfer Shameik Blackshear and a host of other names should make this more strength than weakness.

Perhaps the biggest reason to be optimistic about TCU is that it's impossible to be as unlucky with injuries as the Horned Frogs were in 2019. The amount of talented players at all positions on both sides of the football that missed time for TCU last year was ridiculous. They can't possibly deal with that kind of injury volatility again, can they? Also, don't bet against Gary Patterson. Just don't, ok?

The case against: Well, the obvious case against is the quarterback position. Shawn Robinson was one of the more hyped "new" quarterbacks coming into the 2018 season, and the fact he now plays for Missouri tells you everything you need to know about how that worked out. There are a boatload of options to be the starter for the Horned Frogs, and we're only being slightly hyperbolic. You've heard that phrase that if you have two quarterbacks you have no quarterbacks? There were five guys legitimately competing for this job at one point, but now it's down to Alex Deltonand Max Duggan. Or so Patterson says. We dunno, and it's hard to get too excited about this team with the signal-caller position so unsettled.

Patterson and company usually have a pretty solid defense, but there are definitely some question marks here, as well. The defensive line should be fine, but the linebacker group lost four players in the rotation, including Ty Summers, one of the better linebackers in the conference. The secondary should be okay -- particularly at corner with potential NFL player Jeff Gladney -- but the loss of those pass-rushers will put a lot of pressure on the back four if players like Blackshear can't stand out. And, of course, if the quarterback play is an issue, it'll put even more pressure on this defensive group. Could be up to it, but, no guarantees

Vegas over/under win total: Vegas over/under win total: 7.5

Prediction: OVER

Wexahu

I'm pretty much right there on your page. I do believe we'll play OU in the B12 title game, probably a 10-2 record.

The one thing that keeps creeping back in my head is this dreadful ODD year schedule. Road conference games at Ames, Manhattan, Stillwater, Lubbock, Norman. Even if some of those teams are somewhat down (K ST, Ok ST, TT), those venues are still tough to play at.

I wish they'd reshuffle the schedule, I really do. 2014 was a prime example of what can happen when we're really good AND we have the EVEN year favorable conference schedule.

How do you reshuffle the schedule? I think these things are kind of cyclical. And for all the talk about how big of a thing home field advantage is, I think the home teams have won something like 52% of the games in Big 12 conference games since we joined. So there's really barely home field advantage to speak of (I believe statistically Tech has the worst home field advantage in the conference....imagine that). Generally if you have a good team you'll win at home and on the road and if not, you're going to lose home and away games.

GP's Step-Son

How do you reshuffle the schedule? And for all the talk about how big of a thing home field advantage is, I think the home teams have won something like 52% of the games in Big 12 conference games since we joined. So there's really barely home field advantage to speak of (I believe statistically Tech has the worst home field advantage in the conference....imagine that). .

Conference scheduling: Yeah, so I'm not the conference commissioner. It was more of a 'thinking out loud' comment. Of course they are cyclical, kind of how I touch on EVEN and ODD years.

52% road team winning percentage in the conference since 2012? No idea where you got this, I find that hard to believe. Not saying I don't believe you, but I'd like to see your source.

Basically, agree to disagree with everything you wrote.

CryptoMiner

One thing on Delton that is not really mentioned but hinted at by the coaches is that he not only has good game awareness but field awareness also. He comes from a system that had very little playmakers so the offense went into one of two phases depending on the situation: pound the one asset or spread it around. In either phase one key element was the TE, they knew the value of a big body pass-catcher.

CGP has briefly mentioned Pro Wells and Artayvious Lynn having a good fall but overall they have been quiet on the TE improvement. Not sure you will see much in game 1 but do expect to see the TE used more often, especially when Delton is at QB but also overall no matter who is back there throwing it around.

MTfrog5

Conference scheduling: Yeah, so I'm not the conference commissioner. It was more of a 'thinking out loud' comment. Of course they are cyclical, kind of how I touch on EVEN and ODD years.

52% road team winning percentage in the conference since 2012? No idea where you got this, I find that hard to believe. Not saying I don't believe you, but I'd like to see your source.

Basically, agree to disagree with everything you wrote.
Wex is probably right on that number especially when you consider Kansas losses at home, us going o-5 or whatever in 2012, texas losing more than a couple home games, Tech being terrible at home/us being terrible at home outside of 2014 against them, and OU winning wherever they play.

Ron Swanson

Really splitting the atom here
giphy.gif

Eight

overall frogs are 18-14 on the road in the big 12, but are 7-9 since joining the big 12 at the 5 schools they go to in the big 12 this year, BUT they are 6-3 against isu, tech, and ksu and only 1-6 verus ou and osu.

here is the break down:

@ isu (2-1) margins of (+4, +24, -7)

@ tech (2-1) margin of ( -10, +3, +24)

@ ksu (2-1) margin of (-2, +7, +20)

@osu (1-3) margin of (-22, -14, -20, +13)

@ ou (0-3) margin of (-3, -1, -18)

i don't bet on game and i am sure some here can break those numbers down to me, but frogs have won at 4 of those schools on the road and in the end it still comes down to being efficient on offense, limiting turn overs, and playing solid defense.

4th. down

One thing on Delton that is not really mentioned but hinted at by the coaches is that he not only has good game awareness but field awareness also. He comes from a system that had very little playmakers so the offense went into one of two phases depending on the situation: pound the one asset or spread it around. In either phase one key element was the TE, they knew the value of a big body pass-catcher.

CGP has briefly mentioned Pro Wells and Artayvious Lynn having a good fall but overall they have been quiet on the TE improvement. Not sure you will see much in game 1 but do expect to see the TE used more often, especially when Delton is at QB but also overall no matter who is back there throwing it around.

Good thoughts but I will believe it when I see it.

LawFrog504

This from a guy whose previous post was about sleeping with another poster’s wife and who routinely goes back and deletes stupid posts when too many people make fun of them.
I have literally never deleted a post on this website in my life. They usually get removed because these holier than now people like yourself get their feelings hurt by a little playful banter. Forgive me for not bowing down to the almighty Moose!

Wexahu

My source is the record book. Home teams are 158-142 in Big 12 games since 2012 for a .527 winning %. So not much of an advantage at all. Surprising really, but I think fans think it's way harder to win on the road than at home, which just isn't true.

Statistically, home field advantage (team's winning % at home vs on the road) in the conference has been...

1. Kansas (although they haven't won a road game so it's kind of a dumb stat)
2. Baylor
3. Kansas State
4. West Virginia
5. Iowa State
6. Oklahoma State
7. TCU - same record in home/away games
8. Texas - better record on road
9. OU - better record on road
10. Texas Tech - (9-19 at home, 12-16 on road)

GP's Step-Son

overall frogs are 18-14 on the road in the big 12, but are 7-9 since joining the big 12 at the 5 schools they go to in the big 12 this year, BUT they are 6-3 against isu, tech, and ksu and only 1-6 verus ou and osu.

here is the break down:

i don't bet on game and i am sure some here can break those numbers down to me, but frogs have won at 4 of those schools on the road and in the end it still comes down to being efficient on offense, limiting turn overs, and playing solid defense.

I'm speaking more to a comprehensive B12 home versus road winning percentages (Not solely TCU, as I think that's what Wex meant by the 52%).

GP's Step-Son

My source is the record book. Home teams are 158-142 in Big 12 games since 2012 for a .527 winning %. So not much of an advantage at all. Surprising really, but I think fans think it's way harder to win on the road than at home, which just isn't true.

Statistically, home field advantage (team's winning % at home vs on the road) in the conference has been...

1. Kansas (although they haven't won a road game so it's kind of a dumb stat)
2. Baylor
3. Kansas State
4. West Virginia
5. Iowa State
6. Oklahoma State
7. TCU - same record in home/away games
8. Texas - better record on road
9. OU - better record on road
10. Texas Tech - (9-19 at home, 12-16 on road)

Interesting. My next question would then be how about the other P5 conferences? I wonder if it would mirror the B12? My gut (especially in the B10 and SEC) says no.

H0RNEDFR0G

here is the break down:

It'd be nice to only have to go to Oklahoma once a year, instead of 2 times one year and zero times the other. In years where we play @norman and @Stillwater we don't do very well:

2013: 0-2
2015: 0-2
2017: 1-1*

When we had them both at home:
2014: 2-0
2016: 0-2
2018: 1-1

Of course we've only beaten OU one time, when they had their worst starting QB this millennium. On the plus side we do get Texas at home when we travel to Norman. We really need to beat OU at this point I'd happily take 1 out of 3.

I thought we went 0-2 in 2017, wex pointed out I was wrong.

Last edited: