• The KillerFrogs

Basketball Predictions

SuperBarrFrog

Could Bane be in the 20+ppg range? IMO, he should have been last year

I hope/think so too. I’m no hoops expert like some of these guys, but with Bane’s three point shooting ability coupled with his athleticism, he needs to become a star. He is so unbelievable in transition, but hasn’t yet gotten the courage to take it to the hole off the dribble in half court sets. If he does, then frickin’ look out; he’ll either be dunking or going to the line. Between he and Fuller we could have a couple ridiculously athletic and exciting dudes shooting bombs and driving to the hole. Transition could be fun as hell.

Purp

Stop it. You're making me blush.

Bravo on the X and Os. Great stuff. Really well thought out.

I'll play the other side of it. Getting the ball in the post against Samuel certainly is very logical and makes sense. Getting anybody's post player in foul trouble is certainly advantageous. How do you combat that?

1- Pressure the basketball in the back court for starters. Not so much to create turnovers but to burn clock. Don't allow them to get into their offense until the clock is down to 18-19 seconds.

2- Front the Post. Their guy can't draw a foul if he can't get the ball. Last year's team didn't do this because they didn't have the ability to pressure the ball on the perimeter. Those two things go hand in hand. This year's team can.

3. If the opponent wants to 'attack the switch' that they want, it better happen quick. The shot clock is ticking. I feel this plays to me because I think they are going to get a lot of 'late in the clock' possessions, leading to bad shots and 'live ball turnovers'. An opportunity to score in transition.

The TCU staff does a good job of 'self scouting'. They also anticipate the opponent's game plan pretty well. Jamie is very stubborn (as a lot of good coaches are) but he makes good adjustments almost every time.

That was fun. Thanks!
Thanks for the back and forth. Fun chat. Seeing your responses I'm even more excited about our athleticism than before and I was already pretty high on it. Sounds like we may be very dangerous.

Do you have an update to offer on Barlow? How has he progressed?

Also, one of the things I harped on a lot last season was Samuel developing a mid-range game. I think if he could consistently make a jumper from 12' in our offense could be nearly indefensible. Has that been part of his development plan?

Wog68

Thanks for the back and forth. Fun chat. Seeing your responses I'm even more excited about our athleticism than before and I was already pretty high on it. Sounds like we may be very dangerous.

Also, one of the things I harped on a lot last season was Samuel developing a mid-range game. I think if he could consistently make a jumper from 12' in our offense could be nearly indefensible. Has that been part of his development plan?
If Samuel can move his game to 6-8 feet, it will really help.

Purp

If Samuel can move his game to 6-8 feet, it will really help.
No doubt. If we could get him to 15' that would be even better. I expect he'll be at the line a lot this year and it would be great if he weren't a liability there. He's too good for us to take off the floor in situations where a team might foul us to their advantage.

Skip Jansen

No doubt. If we could get him to 15' that would be even better. I expect he'll be at the line a lot this year and it would be great if he weren't a liability there. He's too good for us to take off the floor in situations where a team might foul us to their advantage.

I'm just afraid everyone is going to be disappointed if they judge Kevin's value on the offensive end.

It would be great if he developed all the things being suggested. It would also be ideal if he was the type of player that you could throw the ball into the post and play 'inside-out' because he requires a 'double'. Unfortunately that's just not his skill set. As a matter of fact, those type of players are virtually non-existent in today's game. His involvement on the offensive end will be primarily in ball-screen/pick and roll action.

Samuel's biggest value will be on the glass and blocking/altering shots. A shot blocker is worth his weight in gold because it allows you to overplay passing lanes to create turnovers. What I also like is that he makes a lot on-ball blocks. Most blocked shots come from the 'help' side. But, you run the risk of leaving an unoccupied player near to the rim if you miss it.

IMO- the biggest question on the team right now is developing a 10-12 min/GM backup to Kevin (however that's done).

Delray Frog

I'm just afraid everyone is going to be disappointed if they judge Kevin's value on the offensive end.

It would be great if he developed all the things being suggested. It would also be ideal if he was the type of player that you could throw the ball into the post and play 'inside-out' because he requires a 'double'. Unfortunately that's just not his skill set. As a matter of fact, those type of players are virtually non-existent in today's game. His involvement on the offensive end will be primarily in ball-screen/pick and roll action.

Samuel's biggest value will be on the glass and blocking/altering shots. A shot blocker is worth his weight in gold because it allows you to overplay passing lanes to create turnovers. What I also like is that he makes a lot on-ball blocks. Most blocked shots come from the 'help' side. But, you run the risk of leaving an unoccupied player near to the rim if you miss it.

IMO- the biggest question on the team right now is developing a 10-12 min/GM backup to Kevin (however that's done).
That's a definite need because we all know that Kevin will be in foul trouble quite a bit.

Skip Jansen

The good news is, the talent level and athleticism should continue to keep getting better and better every year, with this staff.

As a matter of fact, I think we will all look back on last year and realize what an accomplishment it was for that team to win 23 games.

Purp

I guess my eagerness to Samuel to develop on the offensive end comes from the way KD seemed to find him a lot under the basket for big dunks and ally oops. He's got a great shooting percentage b/c all of his looks come from right there, but he finishes with authority and that also gets the crowd going. That's an important part of the offense I feel like we could maybe enhance, but if you say he's not skilled in that way I'll accept it.

Any idea how Barlow has progressed? I've heard chatter he could be used more as a 4 than a back-up 5. Is there any truth there? Will he be a factor for us at all this year?

Skip Jansen

I guess my eagerness to Samuel to develop on the offensive end comes from the way KD seemed to find him a lot under the basket for big dunks and ally oops. He's got a great shooting percentage b/c all of his looks come from right there, but he finishes with authority and that also gets the crowd going. That's an important part of the offense I feel like we could maybe enhance, but if you say he's not skilled in that way I'll accept it.

Any idea how Barlow has progressed? I've heard chatter he could be used more as a 4 than a back-up 5. Is there any truth there? Will he be a factor for us at all this year?

Purp-

He will definitely still score in the manner you spoke of (dunks, ally oops). And yes, that is a crucial part of the offense. That's a crucial component of any ball screen action. KS has really good hands and makes decisive rim runs. If you thought it was exciting with KD, then you will be blown away with Bello. A lot of potential highlight reel stuff.

My point was that he just doesn't have the skill set of a 'back to the basket' or high post player. Not many of those anymore. Also, not many offenses that function that way these days.

As for Barlow. As it currently sits, he is the backup 5. The staff thinks they have enough versatility at the 4 already. That being said, he could play there in a pinch.

Skip Jansen

Purp-

He will definitely still score in the manner you spoke of (dunks, ally oops). And yes, that is a crucial part of the offense. That's a crucial component of any ball screen action. KS has really good hands and makes decisive rim runs. If you thought it was exciting with KD, then you will be blown away with Bello. A lot of potential highlight reel stuff.

My point was that he just doesn't have the skill set of a 'back to the basket' or high post player. Not many of those anymore. Also, not many offenses that function that way these days.

As for Barlow. As it currently sits, he is the backup 5. The staff thinks they have enough versatility at the 4 already. That being said, he could play there in a pinch.

Let me add one additional thing about Kevin offensively.

As I mentioned, KS was and is primarily a ball screen/pick and roll 5. I should have mentioned how good he has become at it, in a very short period of time.

I watched closely last year and his reads and timing were spot on most of the time. He did it while working with multiple ball handlers as well. Have to be in-sync with your teammates for it to work, and he was.

By contrast, when JD would have to play the 5, he would 'Slip' the screen (in pick & roll) almost every time. (Not his fault. He was playing out of position (out of necessity). Well... slipping the screen is a 'read', it's not a pre-determined motion. You 'slip' the screen when your defender wants to 'show' early on the hedge. When the screener sees his defender is 'even' or 'above' him (not behind anymore), he 'slips' to the basket because now the defender is trailing. Obviously, the ball handler is reading this as well. Hopefully he makes an on-time pass to the screener for a 'dunk"(as mentioned).

Kevin would make this 'read' correctly most of the time. Very good for such a young player.

Now, why all that gibberish B.S.?

To show his importance to the offense. I didn't want it to seem that I was being negative about his skill set. He's very good at what he does (and going to get a lot better).

Last edited:

Purp

Let me add one additional thing about Kevin offensively.

As I mentioned, KS was and is primarily a ball screen/pick and roll 5. I should have mentioned how good he has become at it, in a very short period of time.

I watched closely last year and his reads and timing were spot on most of the time. He did it while working with multiple ball handlers as well. Have to be in-sync with your teammates for it to work, and he was.

By contrast, when JD would have to play the 5, he would 'Slip' the screen (in pick & roll) almost every time. (Not his fault. He was playing out of position by necessity). Well... slipping the screen is a 'read', it's not a pre-determined motion. You 'slip' the screen when your defender wants to 'show' early on the hedge. When the screener sees his defender is 'even' or 'above' him (not behind anymore), he 'slips' to the basket because now the defender is trailing. Obviously, the ball handler is reading this as well. Hopefully he makes an on-time pass to the screener for a 'dunk"(as mentioned).

Kevin would make this 'read' correctly most of the time. Very good for such a young player.

Now, why all that gibberish B.S.?

To show his importance to the offense. I didn't want it to seem that I was being negative about his skill set. He's very good at what he does (and going to get a lot better).
Thanks. I'm very high on him. His improvement as last season progressed was tangible. He seems to be on a great trajectory for us in terms of his development.

I'm a bit disappointed to see the game moving away from guys who can play with their back to the basket on the block. If you have a body like KS I feel like that could be an immense weapon. All that said, I can live without that with him. I do think a short - mid range jumper would make him indefensible, though, and that would also make everyone else on the floor for us offensively that much more difficult to guard. Playing what could be 4 guards a lot of the time, you'd never know which guy from the perimeter to leave open when you drop help down. A mid-range game from the 5 position can also open up so much in the pick and roll/pop game as well. Even if the 5 isn't a great passer. Just the threat of a mid-range jumper is enough to create space for our dynamic athletes.

That's the last I'll pine for it, though. I'm excited about your enthusiasm for KS and will be thrilled he's on our team throughout his career at TCU even if he never makes a basket from outside of 3 feet.

westoverhillbilly

I pray that Barlow shows drastic improvement this year like Vladi did from his first year to his second.. I always held the opinion that if someone comes to college without game, they never get it, but Vladi improved drastically after year 1 that my mindset changed when it comes to 4s and 5s..

Rose Bowl

Unfortunately KS just doesn’t have the skills to make shots beyond three-four feet. He can make the team better by being a monster on the boards and keeping opponents from scoring easy baskets. If he can get 9+ rebounds and 2.5 blocks that will make this team infinitely better. Our offense will be better if we have more than one guy who can dribble drive to the basket and that would help the PnR game.

Rose Bowl

Skip made a very good point in an earlier post saying that we should be able to slow teams down by pressuring them in the backcourt making them use the shot clock. It will be interesting to see if Kevin can front a guy on the block and still be able to rebound the way we need him to. He will need to be mobile and quick to deny a guy and still get a rebound.

BleedNPurple

Unfortunately KS just doesn’t have the skills to make shots beyond three-four feet. He can make the team better by being a monster on the boards and keeping opponents from scoring easy baskets. If he can get 9+ rebounds and 2.5 blocks that will make this team infinitely better. Our offense will be better if we have more than one guy who can dribble drive to the basket and that would help the PnR game.

think of Shaquille O’Neal type center. Hope he can get a good free throw rhythms because he’s probably going to get a lot of them.