• The KillerFrogs

Ohio State wants to trademark "THE"

Brog

New

Eight
Jesus was Jewish too, the point being is the left kind of picks and chooses what is offensive to them.

was or is?

"Was", I think, is correct. Jesus converted to Christianity sometime after Alexander Campbell started preaching, and Jesus became a Campbellite. Part of how TCU got started.

TX_Krötenechse

It's always irritated the hell out of me, when the word "the" is used, when referencing Ohio St
I always just assumed ESPN started that garbage, but I guess not

Interestingly enough the “the” is actually part of the official name of the university

Anyway, not that anyone cares, but they’re not literally trademarking the word “the” - which of course would not be allowed. They’re trademarking its use in their font. Most likely they’re about to start selling merchandise branded with “the” but absent the rest of the name, hence the new trademark.

With regards to the conversation on religion, HoosierFrog seems awfully offended by Hawaiian beliefs which is quite ironic. Also, he seems to be missing the point that he (or anyone else) can display a nativity or the commandments or a statue of Baphomet or whatever the hell else he wants as long as its on private property. The state can’t do it because that’s an endorsement of a particular religion, which runs afoul of a certain founding document that guarantees freedom of religion.

froghair

I don’t think so? They certainly have the right to protest construction on land they consider to be sacred (kinda like the DAP), but ultimately it appears the government is staying pretty neutral on the matter, unlike your Ten Commandments example where that is an explicit endorsement of a religion on government property.
Not to mention a good moral compass, which by the way we seem to be lacking.

TX_Krötenechse

In case anyone cares: Here is the filing. It really is just for the word "the."
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4802:mw59hj.3.1

There is also no likely chance in hell that this get granted. So there's that. I suspect that there are some knock-off OSU gear sellers that they want to shut down, so they filed this as an added threat.
It’s for “THE” when displayed as a brand, not for the word itself. It will likely be denied, but again, let’s not act like they’re claiming ownership of the entire word.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It’s for “THE” when displayed as a brand, not for the word itself. It will likely be denied, but again, let’s not act like they’re claiming ownership of the entire word.
Um, it is THE Ohio State we're talking about here. Let's not forget that nothing, nothing is past their ambitions...
latest

Chongo94

My apologies for not getting you enough advance notice to attend the August bicameral legislative session at GG Bar and Grill in Gonzalez, but I bet they find another good happy hour spot for September.

I honestly had a quick thought about what one of those must be like when I saw it ha. Oh to be a fly on the wall in that setting.

It’s amazing to me that they have positions for Land Commissioner and whatnot, most are vacant obviously.

Frog-in-law1995

I honestly had a quick thought about what one of those must be like when I saw it ha. Oh to be a fly on the wall in that setting.

It’s amazing to me that they have positions for Land Commissioner and whatnot, most are vacant obviously.

I bet their general counsel position would be a hoot. It appears to be vacant. Hmmmm

Purp

Interestingly enough the “the” is actually part of the official name of the university

Anyway, not that anyone cares, but they’re not literally trademarking the word “the” - which of course would not be allowed. They’re trademarking its use in their font. Most likely they’re about to start selling merchandise branded with “the” but absent the rest of the name, hence the new trademark.

With regards to the conversation on religion, HoosierFrog seems awfully offended by Hawaiian beliefs which is quite ironic. Also, he seems to be missing the point that he (or anyone else) can display a nativity or the commandments or a statue of Baphomet or whatever the hell else he wants as long as its on private property. The state can’t do it because that’s an endorsement of a particular religion, which runs afoul of a certain founding document that guarantees freedom of religion.
I'm probably going to regret this, but here goes...

Establishing a religion and endorsing a religion are two totally different things and only 1 is prohibited by the 1st amendment. The 10 commandments in a court house do not prevent anybody from freely exercising their non-Christian religion.

I have a feeling Hoosier couldn't care less about a telescope on a volcano in Hawaii; I think he's just pointing out how strangely the 1st amendment seems to applied to Christianity differently than every other religion. The 1st amendment guarantees free exercise of religion; it does not grant freedom from religion. Somehow our courts have stretched it to read that way and I think that's a far more egregious violation of the 1st amendment than a memorial cross on a public hill.

One final distinction worth noting... The 1st amendment only applies to the general government. It is not supposed to apply to state or municipal governments. It begins with the clause "Congress shall make no law..." referring only to the U.S. Congress. Consequently, if Hawaii wants to claim this volcano as religiously significant land I believe that's the prerogative of the state and the general government should have no say in the matter.

Finally, I'd like to propose an amendment to the Constitution prohibiting tOSU from receiving federal funds just because I can't stand them. Darn em.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I'm probably going to regret this, but here goes...

Establishing a religion and endorsing a religion or two totally different things and only 1 is prohibited by the 1st amendment. The 10 commandments in a court house do not prevent anybody from freely exercising their non-Christian religion.

I have a feeling Hoosier couldn't care less about a telescope on a volcano in Hawaii; I think he's just pointing out how strangely the 1st amendment seems to applied to Christianity differently than every other religion. The 1st amendment guarantees free exercise of religion; it does not grant freedom from religion. Somehow our courts have stretched it to read that way and I think that's a far more egregious violation of the 1st amendment than a memorial cross on a public hill.

One final distinction worth noting... The 1st amendment only applies to the general government. It is not supposed to apply to state or municipal governments. It begins with the clause "Congress shall make no law..." referring only to the U.S. Congress. Consequently, if Hawaii wants to claim this volcano as religiously significant land I believe that's the prerogative of the state and the general government should have no say in the matter.

Finally, I'd like to propose an amendment to the Constitution prohibiting tOSU from receiving federal funds just because I can't stand them. Darn em.

You are correct, I have no problem with the Hawaiian thing. I was merely trying to point out how odd it is that the left has issues with saying Islamic Terrorists, or that Hawaiian symbols need to be honored, yet you put Christian in front of anything and it’s all about Wacko neo Nazis or right wing religious fanatics or the catch all church/state issue.

Purp

So just to be clear you’re fine with erecting a statue of Baphomet or a lot of Islamic symbol on state buildings?
No. That's why I don't live in a state that would do such a thing. But the U.S. government shouldn't be able to do anything about it if a state wanted to do so.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
No. That's why I don't live in a state that would do such a thing. But the U.S. government shouldn't be able to do anything about it if a state wanted to do so.

But if any of the founding fathers had been strict adherents of Islam or the Templar Knights, there just might be...