• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

Froggish

This is the year to breakthrough with an 11 win team based on the talent and bodies on this roster- to waste this opportunity only to go back to the alamo bowl or the beloved texas bowl would literally make me abandon my wife and kids. step up

I know we like to think we are loaded and we probably are compared to many of our Frog teams since joining the Big12, but I think it might be a stretch to say we definitively have 11 win talent. Our talent level would indicate that we are an upper tier (top 4) Big12 program and things can break for the better or for the worse. Unless your recruiting in the top 10 every year, it takes a lot of luck to win double digit games. I have a hard time believing you really believe much of what you write.

Something interesting to consider is that If you looked at our time before we joined Big 12 and just looked at recruiting like the P5 didn’t exist, you’d see that we were recruiting like a top 3 program every year under GP.

If we want W/L results like we had Pre Big12 then we would need to recruit at a level that is close to comparable in relationship to our P5 peers....You know this answer is we can’t. We have a better statistical chance if reaching the CFB playoff then ever recruiting in the top 10..

H0RNEDFR0G

If we play up to our potential, which teams rarely consistently do, I only see 3 toss ups or underdog games on the schedule. That’s ISU, UT, and, OU. We are without a doubt more talented and presumably better coaches then the other 9. We probably lose a game we shouldn’t and we probably win won if the toss ups. To me a successful season is winning the games you should and stealing one you shouldn’t. I think it’s OK to be disappointed if we don’t get to 9 wins.

I know it's a broken record, but UT is overrated. I'm taking the under on their projected 9.5 wins. They are on a hype train, but look at their wins last year:

Tulsa - went 3/14 on 3rd Down and threw 2 picks.
USC - was garbage last year - first losing record since 2000
TCU - we actually put up more yards than they did, but we turned the ball over 4 times to their 0. We were down by 1 point in the 3rd Quarter when INT #3 put them on the 2 yard line for the back breaker TD.
KState - beat them by 5 points
OU - +3 turnover margin
BU - won by 6 points
Texas Tech - +3 turnover margin, got beaten in every other metric
Iowa State - put up only 210 yards of total offense, +1 turnover margin
KU - won by 7, +1 turnover margin

The common thread is that their defense won them games they shouldn't have. A lot of them by turnover, which is essentially luck, right time right place.

UT lost 8/11 starters on defense from last year. One of the three starters they got back, Caden Sterns, is batting through an ankle sprain right now. He led the team in interceptions last year.

Another thing they did to win games, that shouldn't be repeatable this year, is rushing TD's by Sam Ehlinger. Sam E led the Big 12 in rushing touchdowns last year with 16. He had 2 rushing TD's the year before that. If anyone wants to place a bet on Sam E. going over 15.5 rushing TD's this year, please let me know. He will have a spy on him the redzone the entire season.

Take care of the football and spy Sam E. in the redzone and we should beat them.

Planks

9-3 would be a great season. We play two preseason top 10 teams this season (OU and Texas). Oklahoma has beat us 5 times in a row and we have not even really been competitive in the past 3 games since Riley become the head coach. With Hurts playing QB, I am not going to hold my breath for a win in Norman. Texas has a great QB this year, and will be a tough game. Not to mention we have to go to Stillwater and Aimes.

9-3 with this schedule and this QB situation would be a really good season.

9-3 would be a disappointment for a TCU team with a veteran O-Line lead by NFL talent Lucas Niang, and other NFL talent like Darius Anderson, Sewo, Jalen Reagor, Ross Blacklock, Innes Gaines, and Jeff Gladney. TCU is always going to be a boom or bust type program due to our level of recruiting. We absolutely cannot waste years where we have lots of NFL type talent. 2019 is NOT a “there’s always next year” type season

If the past few years have taught us anything, it’s that the 2020 season will be a down year since we will be breaking in so many new O-linemen. 2020 is going to be another 6/7 win type season, so it’s important that 2019 is a strong year. If 2019 isn’t a good year, it’s going to be 2021 before we can start thinking about double digit wins again.

Froggish

I know it's a broken record, but UT is overrated. I'm taking the under on their projected 9.5 wins. They are on a hype train, but look at their wins last year:

Tulsa - went 3/14 on 3rd Down and threw 2 picks.
USC - was garbage last year - first losing record since 2000
TCU - we actually put up more yards than they did, but we turned the ball over 4 times to their 0.
KState - beat them by 5 points
OU - +3 turnover margin
BU - won by 6 points
Texas Tech - +3 turnover margin, got beaten in every other metric
Iowa State - put up only 210 yards of total offense, +1 turnover margin
KU - won by 7, +1 turnover margin

The common thread is that their defense won them games they shouldn't have. A lot of them by turnover, which is essentially luck, right time right place.

UT lost 8/11 starters on defense from last year. One of the three starters they got back, Caden Sterns, is batting through an ankle sprain right now. He led the team in interceptions last year.

Another thing they did to win games, that shouldn't be repeatable this year, is rushing TD's by Sam Ehlinger. Sam E led the Big 12 in rushing touchdowns last year with 16. He had 2 rushing TD's the year before that. If anyone wants to place a bet on Sam E. going over 15.5 rushing TD's this year, please let me know. He will have a spy on him the redzone the entire season.

Take care of the football and spy Sam E. in the redzone and we should beat them.

I agree with you in that I personally see more reasons why UT finishes 4th in the conference then 2nd. However I get why people call it a push. Their coaching is improved, they have considerable more talent across the entire roster then anyone not named OU, and they have a very good QB. In today’s game you are only as good as your QB..If you have one you’ll almost always win more then you lose and you’ll always get the benefit of doubt over a program like us who seems to not field consistent QB play.

Eight

"as far as offensive identity decide what you want to be, develop the schemes, recruit the talent, and teach it."

Wow, imagine that! Why is that statement so difficult for Sonny to comprehend and put into practice? He's in his 6th. year here and he talks about tight ends every year, yet, we don't have any tight ends but the fans say we do, but he doesn't think so because he never throws the ball to them.

I believe he's doing a makeover of Alex like he did with Boykin and Kenny and we all know how good that turned out. Good for Sonny and TCU. We, as fans, are awaiting the outcome.

i think what gets forgotten about sonny is his career path prior to coming to tcu as well as his staff around him at tcu.

he played arena football for i think 4 years and in the off season he was on the tech radio broadcast. 2009 he became a ga and worked with mike leach for only one year.

most of his time coaching at tech was with neal brown as the oc. brown was/is a spread guy who emphasized the hunh as much as offensive tactic as formations, play design, etc..

sonny did get to work with kingsbury for one year at tech, but being the oc for kliff is much akin to being the dc for gary.

when meachum and sonny came to tcu they did not install a sophisticated offense, it was based upon the hunh, and increasing the number of snaps.

worked well in 2014, didn't work as well in 2015 for a variety of reasons, and when meachum left sonny was given the keys to build his own offense.

up to this point consider he only got to spend a year with leach, brown was a tempo guy, he spent a year with kliff, and meachum was a tempo guy.

i think what he did with the 2016 and 2017 offenses weren't bad in terms of shifting the emphasis to running the ball and working within kenny's skill set.

i also think we have seen some weaknesses such as play calling. brown used the hunh and would run the same play multiple times, same with meachum, and kliff placed an emphasis on calling a formation and signalling in a play after you see the defense line up.

this isn't the bill walsh school of scripting plays or emphasizing an offensive identity and building complimentary plays from that environment. the focus was going to line of scrimmage and basically taking what the defense is offering to you.

additionally, he wasn't surrounded by a staff of great offensive minds. luper is a recruiter first and foremost and i don't you will find him giving many talks at coaches clinics on offensive football.

burns and anderson had their run as oc's and underwhelmed. we know why they were on the staff and if they were able to really build a top notch offense sonny and doug would never have come to ft worth.

meachum wasn't exactly a task master and more of a 10,000 foot concept guy than someone who would build an offense.

sonny has been allowed to make two hires since he has taken over the offense. thomsen has been a home run in terms of recruiting and developing the talent in the offensive line. the offensive line is about where it was back in the late 2000's in terms of depth and talent.

chris also was a successful head coach for several years at acu so he does have experience building staffs. i have no clue on his experience building an offense, but he and sonny had worked together at tech in 2012 so there was some history and i would like to think thomsen has had a positive impact in the frogs looking to develop the run game.

malcolm kelly has had a positive effect in recruiting and hopefully on the play of the receivers. no idea his impact on developing the passing game and i really wish tcu would have considered hiring an experienced offensive coach to be an analyst and work with sonny on building an offense.

4th. down

i think what gets forgotten about sonny is his career path prior to coming to tcu as well as his staff around him at tcu.

he played arena football for i think 4 years and in the off season he was on the tech radio broadcast. 2009 he became a ga and worked with mike leach for only one year.

most of his time coaching at tech was with neal brown as the oc. brown was/is a spread guy who emphasized the hunh as much as offensive tactic as formations, play design, etc..

sonny did get to work with kingsbury for one year at tech, but being the oc for kliff is much akin to being the dc for gary.

when meachum and sonny came to tcu they did not install a sophisticated offense, it was based upon the hunh, and increasing the number of snaps.

worked well in 2014, didn't work as well in 2015 for a variety of reasons, and when meachum left sonny was given the keys to build his own offense.

up to this point consider he only got to spend a year with leach, brown was a tempo guy, he spent a year with kliff, and meachum was a tempo guy.

i think what he did with the 2016 and 2017 offenses weren't bad in terms of shifting the emphasis to running the ball and working within kenny's skill set.

i also think we have seen some weaknesses such as play calling. brown used the hunh and would run the same play multiple times, same with meachum, and kliff placed an emphasis on calling a formation and signalling in a play after you see the defense line up.

this isn't the bill walsh school of scripting plays or emphasizing an offensive identity and building complimentary plays from that environment. the focus was going to line of scrimmage and basically taking what the defense is offering to you.

additionally, he wasn't surrounded by a staff of great offensive minds. luper is a recruiter first and foremost and i don't you will find him giving many talks at coaches clinics on offensive football.

burns and anderson had their run as oc's and underwhelmed. we know why they were on the staff and if they were able to really build a top notch offense sonny and doug would never have come to ft worth.

meachum wasn't exactly a task master and more of a 10,000 foot concept guy than someone who would build an offense.

sonny has been allowed to make two hires since he has taken over the offense. thomsen has been a home run in terms of recruiting and developing the talent in the offensive line. the offensive line is about where it was back in the late 2000's in terms of depth and talent.

chris also was a successful head coach for several years at acu so he does have experience building staffs. i have no clue on his experience building an offense, but he and sonny had worked together at tech in 2012 so there was some history and i would like to think thomsen has had a positive impact in the frogs looking to develop the run game.

malcolm kelly has had a positive effect in recruiting and hopefully on the play of the receivers. no idea his impact on developing the passing game and i really wish tcu would have considered hiring an experienced offensive coach to be an analyst and work with sonny on building an offense.

Good thoughts and spot on regarding our current situation. Help is not only on the way, it's here, ie. Malcolm Kelly. Have we ever had a receiver run a triple move, much less to perfection as happened recently with Barber.

We are talking some serious [ Finebaum ] here. To my knowledge, this is the first REAL receiver coach we've had under GP.

Eight

Good thoughts and spot on regarding our current situation. Help is not only on the way, it's here, ie. Malcolm Kelly. Have we ever had a receiver run a triple move, much less to perfection as happened recently with Barber.

We are talking some serious [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] here. To my knowledge, this is the first REAL receiver coach we've had under GP.

isn't it amazing what happens when you recruit great talent, teach it, and expect execution.

vernon is in pretty good shape until taye puts that foot in the ground and changes direction on him.

MAcFroggy

9-3 would be a disappointment for a TCU team with a veteran O-Line lead by NFL talent Lucas Niang, and other NFL talent like Darius Anderson, Sewo, Jalen Reagor, Ross Blacklock, Innes Gaines, and Jeff Gladney. TCU is always going to be a boom or bust type program due to our level of recruiting. We absolutely cannot waste years where we have lots of NFL type talent. 2019 is NOT a “there’s always next year” type season

If the past few years have taught us anything, it’s that the 2020 season will be a down year since we will be breaking in so many new O-linemen. 2020 is going to be another 6/7 win type season, so it’s important that 2019 is a strong year. If 2019 isn’t a good year, it’s going to be 2021 before we can start thinking about double digit wins again.

Yeah we have veteran RBs, WRs, OL, DL, and secondary. The problem is that the single most important player on the team is the QB, and we will more than likely be starting a true freshman (which means mistakes) or a 5th year senior transfer who has yet to really do anything of note in college.

On top of that we have a challenging schedule. The odd years are always challenging with trips to Norman and Stillwater. I know we are all hoping for 10, 11, or even 12 win season. However, I am just saying 9-3 should still be seen as a good year.

PO Frog

We are talking some serious [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] here. To my knowledge, this is the first REAL receiver coach we've had under GP.

Lol tweet already deleted. If we can see it, Arkansas Pine Bluff can see it.

4th. down

Lol tweet already deleted. If we can see it, Arkansas Pine Bluff can see it.

Well that's typical, but hopefully you were able to see it before they deleted. It was outstanding, since GP's been here, it's the first triple move I've ever seen and to perfection - thank you Malcolm Kelly.

jake102

It also would require a clean pocket for about 4 seconds.

Can guarantee you that Scott is going to be seeing some double moves

4th. down

Now I see what GP has been referring to on the speed of the receivers - he is not necessarily going on the straight line speed but the speed cuts coming out of the moves as happened in the Wed. scrimmage where the offense scored 2 TD's inside the red zone on 1st. down via passes. He doesn't like the offense putting it on his vaunted defense.

Now, once again I'm getting excited, and I said I wouldn't after my last August forecast of 10-2.

MTfrog5

Football camp had me watching random highlights on YouTube. Came across 2011 Baylor. Can’t believe we came back in that game to take the lead and still can’t believe RGme held on to that pass across the middle. Fun note about that game, GP had an onside kick called for the kickoff after we took the 48-47 lead and would have worked 99% of the time according to the person that told me about this. The 1% made GP call it off at the last second as the kickoff team took the field to try and win the game with his defense.

Bob Sugar

Football camp had me watching random highlights on YouTube. Came across 2011 Baylor. Can’t believe we came back in that game to take the lead and still can’t believe RGme held on to that pass across the middle. Fun note about that game, GP had an onside kick called for the kickoff after we took the 48-47 lead and would have worked 99% of the time according to the person that told me about this. The 1% made GP call it off at the last second as the kickoff team took the field to try and win the game with his defense.
It helped that we had about 1,000,000 return yards in that game.

Eight

It also would require a clean pocket for about 4 seconds.

Can guarantee you that Scott is going to be seeing some double moves

maybe, but i will say that if a 6'2", 205+ lb safety has the coverage ability to stick with taye all the way through that route he has some high draft round coverage skills.