• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

LawFrog504

I probably would too. Seems like some people don't recognize the difference between a MW schedule and a Big 12 schedule. The only way 9-3 becomes a disappointment is if we get off to a 6-0 start or something and then fade at the end. We'll have beaten some pretty decent teams if we go 9-3, and I'm not one who thinks the cupboard will be be bare next year.
As a fanbase and a program, we need to move on from the mountain west. Those days are behind us and every time we use it as a crutch it keeps us further and further away from expanding our goals. It's an anchor that drags us down to keep saying "well the mountain west was easier." We have big boy players now so let's have big boy expectations and goals too

jake102

It's all about QB. The only variable on this team at the moment is the quality of QB play. Delton is going to get good pass protection, the line is going to run block well enough and the WRs outside Reagor will be much improved.

Only thing I'd note is that in the past week two positions on defense have pivoted to potential questions due to Daniels injury and Wilson leaving the team. If Gladney and Lewis stay healthy it won't matter at CB, but not sure at LB.

That being said - if we get good QB play, 12-0 is the ceiling. Bad QB play and we could be at 6-6 again

MTfrog5

As a fanbase and a program, we need to move on from the mountain west. Those days are behind us and every time we use it as a crutch it keeps us further and further away from expanding our goals. It's an anchor that drags us down to keep saying "well the mountain west was easier." We have big boy players now so let's have big boy expectations and goals too
Who is using it as a crutch? We’ve been in the Big 12 longer than MWC

Froggish

If we play up to our potential, which teams rarely consistently do, I only see 3 toss ups or underdog games on the schedule. That’s ISU, UT, and, OU. We are without a doubt more talented and presumably better coaches then the other 9. We probably lose a game we shouldn’t and we probably win won if the toss ups. To me a successful season is winning the games you should and stealing one you shouldn’t. I think it’s OK to be disappointed if we don’t get to 9 wins.

Wexahu

I get it, but LSU hasn't finished better than 9-3 in six years. Michigan has done it only 3 times in the last twelve years. USC has done it once in the last seven years.

I think you're a little too used to 10-win seasons because we had a bunch of them in the MWC. It ain't that easy when you are playing with the big boys. Yeah, we've had a few in the Big 12 already but outside of those years we are below .500.

MAcFroggy

That's fine, I just vehemently disagree with that line of thinking. We've been there before. We need to seek and desire more. We have enough talent to demand better than that right now

9-3 would be a great season. We play two preseason top 10 teams this season (OU and Texas). Oklahoma has beat us 5 times in a row and we have not even really been competitive in the past 3 games since Riley become the head coach. With Hurts playing QB, I am not going to hold my breath for a win in Norman. Texas has a great QB this year, and will be a tough game. Not to mention we have to go to Stillwater and Aimes.

9-3 with this schedule and this QB situation would be a really good season.

Wexahu

If we play up to our potential, which teams rarely consistently do, I only see 3 toss ups or underdog games on the schedule. That’s ISU, UT, and, OU. We are without a doubt more talented and presumably better coaches then the other 9. We probably lose a game we shouldn’t and we probably win won if the toss ups. To me a successful season is winning the games you should and stealing one you shouldn’t. I think it’s OK to be disappointed if we don’t get to 9 wins.

"Disappointed" is one thing. Acting like it's a terrible season and a total waste of talent is stupid.

LawFrog504

I get it, but LSU hasn't finished better than 9-3 in six years. Michigan has done it only 3 times in the last twelve years. USC has done it once in the last seven years.

I think you're a little too used to 10-win seasons because we had a bunch of them in the MWC. It ain't that easy when you are playing with the big boys. Yeah, we've had a few in the Big 12 already but outside of those years we are below .500.
Here's the difference- those programs have all won at the highest level. They are where we are trying to go. I just want to make sure we keep ascending and aren't satisfied with the alamo bowl every year, because we are capable of more

LawFrog504

9-3 would be a great season. We play two preseason top 10 teams this season (OU and Texas). Oklahoma has beat us 5 times in a row and we have not even really been competitive in the past 3 games since Riley become the head coach. With Hurts playing QB, I am not going to hold my breath for a win in Norman. Texas has a great QB this year, and will be a tough game. Not to mention we have to go to Stillwater and Aimes.

9-3 with this schedule and this QB situation would be a really good season.
We need to stop acting like OU is this invincible, unbeatable force. Our offensive approach against them has been downright retarded the last 3 games. Then They get to the playoff every year and their 5'4 155 pound corners get absolutely defiled- which apparently we were totally incapable of every exploiting. Wish we had an all american at wideout or something.

Wexahu

We need to stop acting like OU is this invincible, unbeatable force. Our offensive approach against them has been downright retarded the last 3 games. Then They get to the playoff every year and their 5'4 155 pound corners get absolutely defiled- which apparently we were totally incapable of every exploiting. Wish we had an all american at wideout or something.

We also need to quit acting like the season is a total waste once we lose two games, which is what some people on here were saying, like if we aren't going to make the CFP we might as well start playing for the next year. We've averaged 7.7 wins/year since joining the Big 12, suggesting that a 9-win season would be a major disappointment (especially playing a true freshman at QB as you suggest we should) is asinine.

Froggish

I think the main difference in us and the programs you referenced is that they haven’t had a whole lot of 6-7 win season like we have. We have not been able to solve our boom or bust cycle since joining the Big12. We reload every few years and great programs find better consistency than that.

Eight

I think the main difference in us and the programs you referenced is that they haven’t had a whole lot of 6-7 win season like we have. We have not been able to solve our boom or bust cycle since joint the Big12. We reload ever few years and great programs find better consistency than that.

consistency in the offensive line and struggles with the offensive identity have hurt the frogs as much as any one thing.

the frogs just were not ready in the offensive line to join the big 12 and the program is just now to a point where there is some quality depth being developed in that line.

as far as offensive identity decide what you want to be, develop the schemes, recruit the talent, and teach it.

LawFrog504

We also need to quit acting like the season is a total waste once we lose two games, which is what some people on here were saying, like if we aren't going to make the CFP we might as well start playing for the next year. We've averaged 7.7 wins/year since joining the Big 12, suggesting that a 9-win season would be a major disappointment (especially playing a true freshman at QB as you suggest we should) is asinine.
This is the year to breakthrough with an 11 win team based on the talent and bodies on this roster- to waste this opportunity only to go back to the alamo bowl or the beloved texas bowl would literally make me abandon my wife and kids. step up

Wexahu

This is the year to breakthrough with an 11 win team based on the talent and bodies on this roster- to waste this opportunity only to go back to the alamo bowl or the beloved texas bowl would literally make me abandon my wife and kids. step up

With a freshman QB? I suppose now is when you start comparing us to Clemson, Alabama and Georgia? And Max Duggan to Trevor Lawrence.

4th. down

consistency in the offensive line and struggles with the offensive identity have hurt the frogs as much as any one thing.

the frogs just were not ready in the offensive line to join the big 12 and the program is just now to a point where there is some quality depth being developed in that line.

as far as offensive identity decide what you want to be, develop the schemes, recruit the talent, and teach it.

"as far as offensive identity decide what you want to be, develop the schemes, recruit the talent, and teach it."

Wow, imagine that! Why is that statement so difficult for Sonny to comprehend and put into practice? He's in his 6th. year here and he talks about tight ends every year, yet, we don't have any tight ends but the fans say we do, but he doesn't think so because he never throws the ball to them.

I believe he's doing a makeover of Alex like he did with Boykin and Kenny and we all know how good that turned out. Good for Sonny and TCU. We, as fans, are awaiting the outcome.

Wexahu

I believe he's doing a makeover of Alex like he did with Boykin and Kenny and we all know how good that turned out. Good for Sonny and TCU. We, as fans, are awaiting the outcome.

Delton would seem to be about as ill fitting a QB as could be for a traditional Air Raid offense, but I will hold off on any judgement until I see what we throw out there.

If we stumble around on offense like we have the majority of the last few years I'm almost 100% sure there will be some major turnover on that side of the ball, starting with Cumbie. He HAS to figure it out this year. If our QBs still look like they can't recognize things well and aren't sure where to go with the ball too often, then I'm going to just assume they aren't being coached very well.

4th. down

Delton would seem to be about as ill fitting a QB as could be for a traditional Air Raid offense, but I will hold off on any judgement until I see what we throw out there.

If we stumble around on offense like we have the majority of the last few years I'm almost 100% sure there will be some major turnover on that side of the ball, starting with Cumbie. He HAS to figure it out this year. If our QBs still look like they can't recognize things well and aren't sure where to go with the ball too often, then I'm going to just assume they aren't being coached very well.

Well, right now, doubt if he could get an OC job with any of the top dogs (those that are showing up in the playoffs), maybe as a QB coach - maybe. GP really likes him and has given him a lot of rope, but it's tick toc time.