• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

SwissArmyFrog

Well put, could not agree more. I think Duggan has the overall higher ceiling, but I'm not going to be quick about writing off Delton before we see him in this offense.

Speaking personally, seeing Boykin's change from 2012-13 to 2014 (he had Doctson 2013-14, btw) prevents me from making any judgements until play actually starts.

Fosterpark Squatter

yes the frogs were here in 2015.

no real experience at linebacker and it showed as the frogs gave up over 4 yards a rush for the first time in a very long time with a gary patterson defense.

they also got bailed out 3 times that year by the offense in games the frogs scored 50+.

next year (2016) frogs again had some struggles in the front and again gave up over 4 yards a rush and ended the season unable to stop the georgia run game in memphis.

obviously this isn't a reason to panic, but to think that since the frogs have joined the big 12 they haven't a season or two where they struggled at linebacker and it impacted them just isn't right.
I feel like Dylan Jordan and some of the other new guys could see serious playing time this year

Froggish

Speaking personally, seeing Boykin's change from 2012-13 to 2014 (he had Doctson 2013-14, btw) prevents me from making any judgements until play actually starts.

I read folks talking about the change in Boykin from 12-13 to 14 and I think it’s important to remember that Boykin was more then anything, put into a scheme that fit his skill set better. While he grew as a QB, he displayed plenty of skills in 2012-13 to be successful. He had a rocket arm, was tough, and could run. His biggest question marks were accuracy and decision making.

In addition, people forget just how many snaps he had taken going into 14. He was no rookie going into his Jr year and the reality is the game does slow down over time.

Delton may also benefit from a new scheme just like Boykin did but the scheme differences aren’t near as drastic. If he’s successful at TCU, it will be in large part to his feet and that’s not that different from his time at KSU.

TX_Krötenechse

Before slandering and attacking me, I urge you to carefully consider my thesis here. I want Max Duggan to be our starting QB.

The biggest thing Delton supposedly has going for him is his experience and he doesn't turn the ball over. His throwing is severely limited. It's hard to believe good teams will let him burn them, and if this is the case we will have serious trouble moving the ball in the second half of the schedule. This feels eerily similar to the 17 offense and we saw those limitations- we had a true ceiling, and god forbid if we ever go down 17-7.

If our defense and pieces around the QB are truly as good as we think they are, we can get to 6-0 with Max. By that time, he's had half a season to get adjusted to the college game. Max can make throws that no QB on this roster can make and more importantly, makes throws that Reagor can run under and other teams will have to respect, taking pressure off the running game. Max gives this team a higher ceiling because of his arm and the throws he can make.

I want to swing for the fences with this roster. I will divorce my wife if we go 8-4, 9-3 and play in the Texas Bowl only to have 8 dudes get drafted in April. What's the point of that? Feels like a waste of a roster to me. Play the card that can potentially elevate the team to another level and take advantage of this absolutely loaded roster. I fully expect Delton to start but this is just what I would do. We'll see
Are you not the same guy who said we were gonna go 7-5 at best because Baldwin couldn’t start?

Eight

frogs get through the second scrimmage with one more this weekend.

gary talks about the competition for quarterback is now really between delton and duggan, rogers is getting reps but really isn't in contest with delton and duggan, and collins is still hurt.

hope frogs come out healthy after saturday, expect to hear about more young defenders who flash potential, receivers getting open deep, and I think we will see very fluid depth charts on both sides of the ball through the first third of the season.

last, putting some various bits of info together could the starting o-line against app be mckinney, cordel, mcmillon, myers, and niang?

Ron Swanson

I read folks talking about the change in Boykin from 12-13 to 14 and I think it’s important to remember that Boykin was more then anything, put into a scheme that fit his skill set better. While he grew as a QB, he displayed plenty of skills in 2012-13 to be successful. He had a rocket arm, was tough, and could run. His biggest question marks were accuracy and decision making.

In addition, people forget just how many snaps he had taken going into 14. He was no rookie going into his Jr year and the reality is the game does slow down over time.

Delton may also benefit from a new scheme just like Boykin did but the scheme differences aren’t near as drastic. If he’s successful at TCU, it will be in large part to his feet and that’s not that different from his time at KSU.
Exactly

The Boykin comparisons are silly, IMO.

MTfrog5

The more I hear about Delton in our offense, the more I get excited. He's faster than Boykin so teams will probably have to spy him with someone majority of the team. That will hopefully play into our hands and leave some favorable matchups for Reagor and others.

Ron Swanson

Before slandering and attacking me, I urge you to carefully consider my thesis here. I want Max Duggan to be our starting QB.

The biggest thing Delton supposedly has going for him is his experience and he doesn't turn the ball over. His throwing is severely limited. It's hard to believe good teams will let him burn them, and if this is the case we will have serious trouble moving the ball in the second half of the schedule. This feels eerily similar to the 17 offense and we saw those limitations- we had a true ceiling, and god forbid if we ever go down 17-7.

If our defense and pieces around the QB are truly as good as we think they are, we can get to 6-0 with Max. By that time, he's had half a season to get adjusted to the college game. Max can make throws that no QB on this roster can make and more importantly, makes throws that Reagor can run under and other teams will have to respect, taking pressure off the running game. Max gives this team a higher ceiling because of his arm and the throws he can make.

I want to swing for the fences with this roster. I will divorce my wife if we go 8-4, 9-3 and play in the Texas Bowl only to have 8 dudes get drafted in April. What's the point of that? Feels like a waste of a roster to me. Play the card that can potentially elevate the team to another level and take advantage of this absolutely loaded roster. I fully expect Delton to start but this is just what I would do. We'll see
I’d probably take 9-3 if someone offered it to me right now

Wexahu

I’d probably take 9-3 if someone offered it to me right now

I probably would too. Seems like some people don't recognize the difference between a MW schedule and a Big 12 schedule. The only way 9-3 becomes a disappointment is if we get off to a 6-0 start or something and then fade at the end. We'll have beaten some pretty decent teams if we go 9-3, and I'm not one who thinks the cupboard will be be bare next year.

Billy Clyde

Until we play a downhill running team w a 240 pound RB who runs it 30 times a game, I don't really worry about size at LB

This. Gary said recently in an interview that he doesn't try to win on defense by outmuscling other teams, he does it by having an extra guy in the box with the alignment. It freaks me out a little bit(ok, a lot) to think of a 200-lb dude playing "linebacker" but I think he looks at it in terms of trading having 2 linebackers for 3 safeties.

Ron Swanson

I probably would too. Seems like some people don't recognize the difference between a MW schedule and a Big 12 schedule. The only way 9-3 becomes a disappointment is if we get off to a 6-0 start or something and then fade at the end. We'll have beaten some pretty decent teams if we go 9-3, and I'm not one who thinks the cupboard will be be bare next year.
I mean yes we have a lot of talent on this team, but the QB situation is so up in the air at this point I’m concerned about having another 6-6 or 7-5 type season if the QBs end up sucking.

9-3 eliminates the low floor and is a solid season.

Billy Clyde

Liked, while wondering if she gave it a like.