• The KillerFrogs

Martell at Miami U

PO Frog

That a shot at Tyler Matthews?

As an aside, I Googled to make sure that was the place he transferred, which it was. Then I found that he didn't win that starting job and transferred to New Mexico State after that, and apparently it looked like he was possibly set to win that job but didn't see eye-to-eye with the HC (according to two articles I found), so he left there. Sounds like that was the end of it.

Always pretty interesting to look back at some of the prospects that a lot of fans think are the next great one's. All of us have our misses on that.
Bet he'd make a great coach seeing as how he had to learn 9 different offensive systems throughout his run. Those who can't do, teach.

netty2424

As an aside, I Googled to make sure that was the place he transferred, which it was. Then I found that he didn't win that starting job and transferred to New Mexico State after that, and apparently it looked like he was possibly set to win that job but didn't see eye-to-eye with the HC (according to two articles I found), so he left there. Sounds like that was the end of it.

Always pretty interesting to look back at some of the prospects that a lot of fans think are the next great one's. All of us have our misses on that.
Ryan Leaf still has a few good years left in him. I just know it.

Billy Clyde

I can't remember which game he suddenly had to play in because of an injury... OU? I just remember watching him from behind the end zone, and feeling like I was seeing the football version of that scene from Patton of the hostpital tent. Matthews to Gary on the sideline after that series: "My nerves are shot, sir! I can't handle any more shelling!"

TCURiggs

I can't remember which game he suddenly had to play in because of an injury... OU? I just remember watching him from behind the end zone, and feeling like I was seeing the football version of that scene from Patton of the hostpital tent. Matthews to Gary on the sideline after that series: "My nerves are shot, sir! I can't handle any more shelling!"

You sure you're not thinking of Foster Sawyer, when he started firing those moonshots to the Heavens?

Eight

The was trying to throw the ball over them mountains.

tenor.gif

Wexahu

You sure you're not thinking of Foster Sawyer, when he started firing those moonshots to the Heavens?

I remember the game Mathews had to play (although I can't recall who it was against, i don't think it was OU), and I remember thinking the exact thing Billy Clyde did. Looks scared [ Finebaum ]less out there, he threw a pass or two that looked like he couldn't care less if it was caught or not, he just wanted the ball out of his hands and to get back over to the sideline as quickly as possible. That's when you know you have a kid that has no chance at this level.

Zubaz

I remember the game Mathews had to play (although I can't recall who it was against, i don't think it was OU), and I remember thinking the exact thing Billy Clyde did. Looks scared [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]less out there, he threw a pass or two that looked like he couldn't care less if it was caught or not, he just wanted the ball out of his hands and to get back over to the sideline as quickly as possible. That's when you know you have a kid that has no chance at this level.
Are you guys sure you aren't thinking of Matt Brown against #2 Kansas State in 2012? Brown came in briefly towards the end of the first half when Boykin wasn't looking great, and he (Brown) looked terrible, scared, all the things you describe. Boykin came back in after one or two series I believe.

Matthews only ever played in one home game, against SMU in 2013, and even then I can't find any stats beyond a single rush for no gain. He transferred at the end of the year.

Billy Clyde

Haha, yes I'm sure. Might not have been OU, but I remember TM (I think it was as a freshman) getting put in unexpectedly because of an injury, possible to the backup who had been playing.

As for Foster, I still say it wasn't his fault, we just needed taller and faster receivers.

Billy Clyde

Are you guys sure you aren't thinking of Matt Brown against #2 Kansas State in 2012? Brown came in briefly towards the end of the first half when Boykin wasn't looking great, and he (Brown) looked terrible, scared, all the things you describe. Boykin came back in after one or two series I believe.

Matthews only ever played in one home game, against SMU in 2013, and even then I can't find any stats beyond a single rush for no gain. He transferred at the end of the year.

Now that you say that I'm even a bit more confused but still think it was Matthews, because we were sitting with friends in the North end zone for that game with the kids. I'm gonna have to see if I can yewtoob that game.

I also remember that KSU game, was in my regular seats and remember telling my buddy, "IDK what they are but that is NOT the second-best team in the country."

PO Frog

It was Oklahoma State at their place.

PS: box score reminding me that he fumbled the snap for his first play. However, I vaguely recall we tried some weird reverse/end around/gimmick play and I remember thinking our OC was so stupid even trying something like that for a kid's first play. Just horrendous memories of that OC regime.

Wexahu

I'm sure it wasn't Brown. I never expected him to really play. Matthews, however, was supposed to be good and specifically remember thinking he sure didn't look it in that appearance. It was a road game I'm pretty sure.

Zubaz

I also remember that KSU game, was in my regular seats and remember telling my buddy, "IDK what they are but that is NOT the second-best team in the country."
They sure put the beat down on us that day. Closest we've come to being shut out under Patterson that I can remember.

asleep003

We've had numerous Misses around here(of course not I) promoting transfers and freshmen to a very high pedestal. So many of them without any or very little proven, following HS.