• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

Eight

kenny cain is another guy who was a very good linebacker for the frogs and he wasn't a freak athlete as well, but as with mallett and dawson he diagnosed things quickly, didn't take false steps, and got himself in position to make plays.

the catch in all of that is the ability to recognize and react as quickly and efficiently as possible to make sure they are in the right place.

gary mentioned the other day that on foster's long td run in the first scrimmage dylan jordan was in the wrong gap on his run fit. jordan runs as well as any of the linebackers so yes, making the right reading and being in the right place is critical.

jake102

I don't know but they were certainly up around the top - that package we put out there in Cali to stop those thundering running backs of Wisc. were pretty darn good along with Phillips and Hawthorne, etc.

2014 - Dawson and Mallett combined for 236 tackles, 31.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks and 5 interceptions
2008 - Philipps, Henson, Washington - 157, 22, 4.5, 2
2009 - Washington and Carder - 198, 21, 4, 4

Dawson and Mallett were forces

TX_Krötenechse

Also, for those who continue to believe that TCU is the only school with major injuries pre-season, Alabama lost 5-star RB Trey Sanders for the season to a foot injury a couple days ago and yesterday, Aggie TE Baylor Cupp (another five star freshman, apparently the highest-rated TE in 247 history) had surgery to repair a badly broken leg from Tuesday scrimmage. Neither is expected to return until spring and both were expected to be contributors, especially Cupp who apparently was the likely starter.

Billy Clyde

How about: "Say it ain't real, Montrell"

CGP: “I don’t think he’s coming back. He’s a great kid with an NFL type of ability. He’s got to figure it out himself.”

Did he just get dinged up again? Kinda make sense if so. How many times can you keep putting in the grind of rehabbing and hope your body doesn't betray you again?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I know I was concerned greatly for Montrell when he got his head dinged really bad I think his first year. I ended up at a game with a friend of his and he was concerned as well.

Froggish

kenny cain is another guy who was a very good linebacker for the frogs and he wasn't a freak athlete as well, but as with mallett and dawson he diagnosed things quickly, didn't take false steps, and got himself in position to make plays.

the catch in all of that is the ability to recognize and react as quickly and efficiently as possible to make sure they are in the right place.

gary mentioned the other day that on foster's long td run in the first scrimmage dylan jordan was in the wrong gap on his run fit. jordan runs as well as any of the linebackers so yes, making the right reading and being in the right place is critical.

We didn’t get a whole lot of “freak” athlete types back in the day but we got a lot of football smart kids

LawFrog504

Our LB's are at their best when they are playing based off of instinct- as some have said already, it turns a 4.7 guy into a 4.5 guy. Think Wallow is solid for that this year. I've heard great things about Winters at the other spot but no matter how you slice it, this position is an unknown going into the season. Ross and Corey will make the LB's lives significantly easier, but still remains an unknown.

Eight

Until we play a downhill running team w a 240 pound RB who runs it 30 times a game, I don't really worry about size at LB

so a team like ou whose run game tcu hasn't slowed, texas who is going to the power run game, iowa state who is power run heavy, heck.....most of the big 12 are going to a power run game and there are fewer and fewer spread passing teams

Froggish

"CGP: “I don’t think he’s coming back. He’s a great kid with an NFL type of ability. He’s got to figure it out himself.”

my concern at linebacker is not moving a safety to linebacker, but having two safeties playing linebacker .

I absolutely get the concern and I have it to. I like that we will be able to run with anyone but with power run teams like UT and OU I hope we can hold up. D-Line should be stout in the middle but keeping OL from getting to the second level is going to be critical.

LawFrog504

so a team like ou whose run game tcu hasn't slowed, texas who is going to the power run game, iowa state who is power run heavy, heck.....most of the big 12 are going to a power run game and there are fewer and fewer spread passing teams
No doubt, but there are things that cross my mind before pure pounds at linebacker when stopping the run. Gap fits, scheme, double teams, positioning, etc I place more value on than size at LB