• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

Eight

I mean was he ever really ON the team other than like 4 years ago?

agreed, it would have been a nice story for him to finish his career with a senior season, but this was a long, long short.

time for glasgow to call upon cross and d. patterson to help him coach the hell out of these young kids.

Froggish

I mean was he ever really ON the team other than like 4 years ago?

Welp...Looks like it’s the GW and the Freshman show at LB. D. Winters, D Holmes, Simpson..

Interesting that in 2 years now we haven’t heard so much as a good word about Jacoby Simpson..Weird as I don’t think he’s been hurt.

Eight

Welp...Looks like it’s the GW and the Freshman show at LB. D. Winters, D Holmes, Simpson..

Interesting that in 2 years now we haven’t heard so much as a good word about Jacoby Simpson..Weird as I don’t think he’s been hurt.

the one knock on simpson during recruiting was that he wasn't a great athlete and unfortunately in the tcu scheme you damn well better be able to move and cover multiple gaps.

Wexahu

the one knock on simpson during recruiting was that he wasn't a great athlete and unfortunately in the tcu scheme you damn well better be able to move and cover multiple gaps.

I don't totally disagree with you but probably our best LB group in recent history was 2014, and I don't think either Marcus Mallet or Paul Dawson were particularly great athletes. In fact, both were pretty darn slow. And they were paired with a couple slow safeties in Carter and Hackett and that unit was a TO-causing machine. Speed is nice but it isn't everything.

Give me a kid that is a step slow and knows where he's supposed to be over one that runs a 4.5 forty and is lost half the time.

Eight

I can’t imagine GP took an LB that he didn’t think was a great athlete.

jeremy made the same reference in his most recent podcast and there is a difference between being a good athlete and being athletic enough to be an effective linebacker in this scheme at this level.

Eight

I don't totally disagree with you but probably our best LB group in recent history was 2014, and I don't think either Marcus Mallet or Paul Dawson were particularly great athletes. In fact, both were pretty darn slow. And they were paired with a couple slow safeties in Carter and Hackett and that unit was a TO-causing machine. Speed is nice but it isn't everything.

Give me a kid that is a step slow and knows where he's supposed to be over one that runs a 4.5 forty and is lost half the time.

i think dawson will always be that anomaly of the guy who just had incredible instincts for the game that allowed him to play near his physical celing as opposed to a player who losses steps due to doubt and slow play recognition.

carter, hacket, mallet, and kindred to some effect where all guys who as you point out were great at creating turnovers in large part to the fact they trusted the system and used the keys to take them to the plays.

so much in the tcu defense is based upon players trusting what they have been taught instead of free lancing.

with all that said if you are playing the inside linebacker position you have to be able to recognize the play, fight off the block and get yourself to the gap and there requires a certain degree of physical ability and not just try hard.

Bob Sugar

Dawson and Mallett were so slow but possibly our best LB duo ever
giphy.gif

4th. down

Dawson and Mallett were so slow but possibly our best LB duo ever

I don't know but they were certainly up around the top - that package we put out there in Cali to stop those thundering running backs of Wisc. were pretty darn good along with Phillips and Hawthorne, etc.

I still say McDonald was the best single LB in the GP era as a college LB, not later in the pros. but while at TCU. He knew the play when the QB knew it - unreal actually as he was on a mission in the 2002 Liberty Bowl on the great Colorado State QB Van Pelt. It was showtime and he was in the bright lights and made the most of it.

Last edited: