• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU QB battle will go on at least another week

y2kFrog

Smith played all season long in 2017, so it was 20 months from his injury when he was considered healthy enough to start an NFL game at linebacker. "Full potential" is a bit subjective, he obviously wasn't the same player he was a year later, but he played full-time at a position that requires quite a bit of changing direction, reacting instead of dictating where you are going, etc.

JR got hurt 23 months ago and it just seems like he still has a ways to go to be able to play. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Yes, he played, but Jaylen Smith was clearly hobbled in 2017.

Eight

I’m a patient but it will be 2 years in a couple of weeks sir.

He was a great dual threat qb, now he’s being called a “passer.” Doesn’t bode well for the young mans rehab. Sounds like Max is coming up with other highly rated qbs coming down the pipe. Feels like this year is his chance, hope he does it.

please stop, kid damn near loses his leg, has worked his ass off, and you now know enough from reports to know how his rehab is or is not progressing.

Fortress Frog

Smith played all season long in 2017, so it was 20 months from his injury when he was considered healthy enough to start an NFL game at linebacker. "Full potential" is a bit subjective, he obviously wasn't the same player he was a year later, but he played full-time at a position that requires quite a bit of changing direction, reacting instead of dictating where you are going, etc.

JR got hurt 23 months ago and it just seems like he still has a ways to go to be able to play. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Smith played part time at best in 2017 and had a huge brace on his leg. His straight line speed and lateral movement was half of what it became a year later. He was almost a liability out there.

This is why anyone that has written JR off needs to realize he was probably always going to need another year. Give him a chance. Could be a great comeback story if he makes it back.

netty2424

I’m a patient but it will be 2 years in a couple of weeks sir.

He was a great dual threat qb, now he’s being called a “passer.” Doesn’t bode well for the young mans rehab. Sounds like Max is coming up with other highly rated qbs coming down the pipe. Feels like this year is his chance, hope he does it.
It’s been noted many many many times that these nerves after this type of injury can sometimes just “wake up.” It’s a unique injury. There’s no hard fast timeline for recovery.

Doesn’t mean that it “doesn’t bode well.” Just means that’s where he’s at, right now.

Fortress Frog

I also gotta believe that playing QB while still dealing with dropfoot has to be a bit more dangerous than playing LB. You are running around to protect yourself and keep from getting hit. You are the target of the big hit rather than running to the ball and delivering the hit.

Just my .02.

And JR played in a game about 15 months after his injury. He didn't play much but that was more situational as anything. There was nothing that suggested he couldn't have played more if he needed to do so. Yes, he was limited and so was Jaylon Smith who went from being a part time player with visible limitations to one of the best LB's in the NFL a year later.

Way too early to assume anything about the ultimate extent of his recovery or ability to contribute. Talking about taking away his scholarship (I know you're not the one who said that) is completely ridiculous.