• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU QB battle will go on at least another week

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU QB battle will go on at least another week

By Jeremy Clark

The battle at quarterback will go at least another week TCU head coach Gary Patterson told the media following his team’s scrimmage on Saturday. It was the first scrimmage of fall camp for the Frogs.

Competing at the position is Alex Delton, Mike Collins, Max Duggan and Justin Rogers. For most of fall camp Delton has taken snaps first among the pecking order. It was the same on Saturday but when asked if a quarterback had separated himself from the rest of the competition, Patterson stopped short of naming one.

“I think probably Delton; Max did a couple of good things but you can tell Delton has played a lot of football,” Patterson said.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/TCU-quarterback-battle-last-another-week-134363121/

ThisIsOurTime

Article says that Collins was sharing 2nd string reps with Duggan which tells me Rogers still has a ways to go. So it looks like Duggan is the backup unless Collins can bounce back fast.

Also, interesting to see Mikel Barkley's name mentioned after Reagor and Heights. Will be interesting to see if he emerges or another receiver to that 2nd receiver threat that we have been hoping for to really complement Reagor?

McFroggin

Article says that Collins was sharing 2nd string reps with Duggan which tells me Rogers still has a ways to go. So it looks like Duggan is the backup unless Collins can bounce back fast.

Also, interesting to see Mikel Barkley's name mentioned after Reagor and Heights. Will be interesting to see if he emerges or another receiver to that 2nd receiver threat that we have been hoping for to really complement Reagor?

It’s no easy task to convince anyone here that JR isn’t the next Heisman candidate. As I’ve been saying, he is not fully healthy or one of our top passers. He had a lot of measurables, but they are rusty.

Collins had the #1-2 spot with Duggan working in. Duggan has flashes, but he makes a lot of mental errors still. He is a freshman.

With Collins needing more recovery time and Baldwin appeal pending, Delton is our guy.

Hemingway

It’s no easy task to convince anyone here that JR isn’t the next Heisman candidate. As I’ve been saying, he is not fully healthy or one of our top passers. He had a lot of measurables, but they are rusty.

Collins had the #1-2 spot with Duggan working in. Duggan has flashes, but he makes a lot of mental errors still. He is a freshman.

With Collins needing more recovery time and Baldwin appeal pending, Delton is our guy.
At what point does someone realize that because of injury, that they will never play again? At some point you realize your maximum recovery level and that’s it.
A scholarship is year to year contract. At some point both parties are probably going to realize it wasn’t meant to be.

ThisIsOurTime

At what point does someone realize that because of injury, that they will never play again? At some point you realize your maximum recovery level and that’s it.
A scholarship is year to year contract. At some point both parties are probably going to realize it wasn’t meant to be.

I know college football is a big business and TCU feels forced to adjust their policies to the Bamas and OUs of the world but I would prefer we honor these scholarships as 4 year contracts as we support the student part of student athlete. Every so often we have one of these situations where a player gets hurt and won't be able to play again and we still support them. I don't see this situation as any different if Rogers never were able to make it all the way back. Whatever we do let's not lose the Christian part of our university. Commandment #2 from Jesus is to love your neighbor as thyself. We need to do right by these kids and look out for them the same way Our Father In Heaven looks out for us.

PO Frog

I know college football is a big business and TCU feels forced to adjust their policies to the Bamas and OUs of the world but I would prefer we honor these scholarships as 4 year contracts as we support the student part of student athlete. Every so often we have one of these situations where a player gets hurt and won't be able to play again and we still support them. I don't see this situation as any different if Rogers never were able to make it all the way back. Whatever we do let's not lose the Christian part of our university. Commandment #2 from Jesus is to love your neighbor as thyself. We need to do right by these kids and look out for them the same way Our Father In Heaven looks out for us.
You can give someone a medical and not have them count against one of the 85 scholarships.

CountryFrog

No

Hemingway

It’s called an athletic scholarship right ? That’s because you play sports for the school. Lots of people get hurt in high school and never play college ball. Do they all deserve full athletic scholarships to?

Surfrog

Medical retirement - the kid is still on the equivalent of an athletic scholarship monetarily speaking. This does not count against the 85 limit.

If the retired athlete wishes to transfer to play again at another school, he/she must pay back the original school all benefits received while on medical.

If the retired athlete wishes to transfer to another school for other reasons, he/she will not be able to transfer the scholarship.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Huh. You do know that this is an Internet forum where people can talk about all types of subjects tcu athletics related.
CAN and SHOULD are two very different things. I CAN eat a dozen blueberry donuts every day of my life but it's not the best idea.

Calling for an injured player to lose his scholarship if he doesn't get healthy soon is stupid. You can continue doing it and I can continue calling it stupid.

Shorty

It’s called an athletic scholarship right ? That’s because you play sports for the school. Lots of people get hurt in high school and never play college ball. Do they all deserve full athletic scholarships to?
Should the school be able to pull scholarships for kids that don't play to their expected level/potential that aren't injured?

Bruce Berry

CAN and SHOULD are two very different things. I CAN eat a dozen blueberry donuts every day of my life but it's not the best idea.

Calling for an injured player to lose his scholarship if he doesn't get healthy soon is stupid. You can continue doing it and I can continue calling it stupid.

12 donuts? Everyday?

Mean Purple

Playing a lot of football helps, if you win and are the best at the position.
Gotta wonder how the deep ball is with AD. Reports have been mixed.