• The KillerFrogs

QB Battle - I'm confused by KF reactions

Planks

Our best seasons have been with QBs that are able to read a defense and execute the option. Gunn, Dalton, Boykin, and '17 Hill.

SR, '16 Hill, Pachall, Ballard, Hassell, and Jackson were all pretty bad at reading a defense, let alone knowing when to keep it and run.

In this off season, I hope we can identify a mobile QB with a little accuracy to keep defenses honest.

The offense was pretty good in 2011 under Pachall. I’d take 2011 Pachall over 2017 Hill every day of the week.

As the years have gone on people seem to have forgotten how good 2011 Pachall was. Before the off field issues, before the broken arm, and most importantly before the loss of his OC/QB coach Justin Fuente, Pachall was a good quarterback with a promising future. A lot of felt like he might eventually end up in the NFL one day.

jake102

The offense was pretty good in 2011 under Pachall. I’d take 2011 Pachall over 2017 Hill every day of the week.

As the years have gone on people seem to have forgotten how good 2011 Pachall was. Before the off field issues, before the broken arm, and most importantly before the loss of his OC/QB coach Justin Fuente, Pachall was a good quarterback with a promising future. A lot of felt like he might eventually end up in the NFL one day.

No reason he wouldn't have gotten a shot at NFL without the myriad of problems. Then in 2013 TCU fielded the worst OL in P5 football

Froggish

No reason he wouldn't have gotten a shot at NFL without the myriad of problems. Then in 2013 TCU fielded the worst OL in P5 football

IMHO our inability to reload from year to year on the OL has been the catalysts for our bang or bust record since joining the Big 12. We have seen some really good and some really bad OL play. We have to find away to keep the drastic swings from happening

jake102

IMHO our inability to reload from year to year on the OL has been the catalysts for our bang or bust record since joining the Big 12. We have seen some really good and some really bad OL play. We have to find away to keep the drastic swings from happening

And strangely enough, it's almost exclusively on the interior of the line. Our OTs have been quite good most every year (not 2013)

JockO de Frog

And strangely enough, it's almost exclusively on the interior of the line. Our OTs have been quite good most every year (not 2013)
I'll show my ignorance here (similar to my previous posts I'm sure) but why can't a good big OT transition to a very effective guard? I think you are right--we seem to find some good OTs (plus there seems to be more out of high school).

Eight

that was a bit of a strange year as there just seemed something off step for the team that year, but casey's performance that year was indeed top notch.

his two touchdown throws at sdsu were great throws that both required accuracy, but one showed great touch and the other his arm strength.

i think it was jake who used the phrase "arm talent" for the traits of a quarterback and pachall showed he did have elite arm talent

Eight

I'll show my ignorance here (similar to my previous posts I'm sure) but why can't a good big OT transition to a very effective guard? I think you are right--we seem to find some good OTs (plus there seems to be more out of high school).

they can if you have someone, say austin last year who was moved inside against ohio state or the other austin (schlottman) who was the frogs most versatile offensive linemen quite possible since they have been in the big 12.

the problem was/is that tcu has never really had much depth in the offensive line for much of their time in the big 12 so they were working 6-7 offensive linemen.

really was feast or famine in those first 3 offensive line classes. frogs signed 14 offensive linemen and 7 hit big:

vaitai
hunt
collins
morris
noteboom
pryor
schlottman

all made big impacts in the line and all i believe are still on nfl rosters.

unfortunately, because of depth issues coming into the big 12 the frogs could only red-shirt 1 of those 7 (morris) and as result most were through by 2017.

additionally 6 of the 14 made little to no impact for a variety of reasons and all were gone as well by 2017. trey elliott was still with the program last year, but his development had been hurt by injuries.

2015 class 2 of the 4 aren't in the program, bolisomi has been slow to develop and cordel was hurth last year.

2016 class niang has been a home run, gaynor was mia until he got moved to center at the end of last year, myers has shown flashes, and hollins looked really raw last year

Last edited:

Billy Clyde

Aplanatic?

edit: I only saw Billy Clyde's post after this weak attempt.

Too latte, no takebacks, I humbly declare myself winner because rhyme, yo. (while googling [ What the heck? ] is aplanatic, suspicioning non-parallel synonym based on root word)

Froggish

they can if you have someone, say austin last year who was moved inside against ohio state or the other austin (schlottman) who was the frogs most versatile offensive linemen quite possible since they have been in the big 12.

the problem was/is that tcu has never really had much depth in the offensive line for much of their time in the big 12 so they were working 6-7 offensive linemen.

really was feast or famine in those first 3 offensive line classes. frogs signed 14 offensive linemen and 7 hit big:

vaitai
hunt
collins
morris
noteboom
pryor
schlottman

all made big impacts in the line and all i believe are still on nfl rosters.

unfortunately, because of depth issues coming into the big 12 the frogs could only red-shirt 1 of those 7 (morris) and as result most were through by 2017.

additionally 6 of the 14 made little to no impact for a variety of reasons and all were gone as well by 2017. trey elliott was still with the program last year, but his development had been hurt by injuries.

2015 class 2 of the 4 aren't in the program, bolisomi has been slow to develop and cordel was hurth last year.

2016 class niang has been a home run, gaynor was mia until he got moved to center at the end of last year, myers has shown flashes, and hollins looked really raw last year

Swing and miss seems harsh but its pretty accurate really. That’s why I am of the opinion you need 4 OL every year and 1 probably need to come from the JC ranks..OL needs good coaching and a lot of bodies. It somewhat a law of averages.

Eight

Swing and miss seems harsh but its pretty accurate really. That’s why I am of the opinion you need 4 OL every year and 1 probably need to come from the JC ranks..OL needs good coaching and a lot of bodies. It somewhat a law of averages.

agree completely it sounds harsh, but when you look at those first 3 classes it wasn't a case of the players not really developing as much as not even being in the program 2-3 years after they signed.

chad childs - injuries
eason fromayan - transferred back home to ga. tech where he started as a junior
lloyd tunstill - never saw the field
ty barrett - transferred to sam houston after 2 seasons
frank kee - transferred to acu to play d-tackle
ryan griswold - injuries

when you aren't even getting back-up snaps it just kills any depth. bolisomi has been slow to develop at times, but he apparently has had a good spring and summer and he might allow them to slide austin myers inside for a few snaps a game which is something they just haven't been able to do in the past.

Ron Swanson

I wasn’t implying that GP has no desire to throw the football but if Delton wins the job, this will be the second year in a row that GP and Cumbie will have chosen Feet talent over Arm talent.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Shawn Robinson has a cannon for an arm and I think they thought he was the total package who would hopefully develop into a Boykin-like talent. It wasn’t like he had a noodle-arm and great legs and they chose him over a proven pocket passer with a rocket arm in Mike Collins.

Shawn has every physical tool at his disposal, which is why he won the job.

texas_sicilian

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Shawn Robinson has a cannon for an arm and I think they thought he was the total package who would hopefully develop into a Boykin-like talent. It wasn’t like he had a noodle-arm and great legs and they chose him over a proven pocket passer with a rocket arm in Mike Collins.

Shawn has every physical tool at his disposal, which is why he won the job.
It was a thing of marvel to watch him consistently throw those absolute darts...

right into opposing players’ hands.

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

Does nothing to prove that they prefer a running QB. Point is SR had ability to do both and didn’t pan out. [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] happens.

So the QB that can’t throw but can run will start the entire season?

Delton Could start the first few but don’t be shocked if “less mobile” Collins or Rogers takes over

SuperBarrFrog

Once again, I said nothing of the sort. I have no idea who will start. I hope it’s Rogers or Duggan; Collins never proved he can throw either.

Can we please recycle more takes on here? This whole thread is a darn repeat of 3 others and I only got sucked back in cuz I’m drinking beers by the pool!

Damn. I quoted myself instead of the other dummy. Smart folks will figure it out.

Last edited: