• The KillerFrogs

QB Battle - I'm confused by KF reactions

Froggish

I'm confused by the KF crowds early reaction to Delton/Collins being in the starting lead. I get it that we all want Duggan or JR to emerge because of their upside, but don't they need to actually display the damned upside before we anoint them our next great QB? It's as if many around here believe they aren't going to get fair shake from GP or Sonny....All indications are they are going to get their shot. Lets not forget that it's their job to prove they belong and can actually out play the veterans. Will it require some trust and forward thinking on the part of the staff? Sure, but ultimately Its the responsibility of Duggan or JR to earn that trust on the field. If they want the job the they need to go kick that trust in the teethe and be who everyone wants them to be. Until then the job belongs to the vets.

SuperBarrFrog

Thanks for the awesome insight and new thread!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

4th. down

Who says its delton/collins?

GP's interview after the scrimmage Sat. will probably show us the ultimate direction even though another scrimmage the following Sat. is supposed to happen, then 2 weeks for game prep. That 2nd. scrimmage may not happen because of the fear of injuries right before season so this Sat. scrimmage is going to be big for the first 3 units.

BigPurple87

GP's interview after the scrimmage Sat. will probably show us the ultimate direction even though another scrimmage the following Sat. is supposed to happen, then 2 weeks for game prep. That 2nd. scrimmage may not happen because of the fear of injuries right before season so this Sat. scrimmage is going to be big for the first 3 units.

Huh

Ron Swanson

I'm confused by the KF crowds early reaction to Delton/Collins being in the starting lead. I get it that we all want Duggan or JR to emerge because of their upside, but don't they need to actually display the damned upside before we anoint them our next great QB? It's as if many around here believe they aren't going to get fair shake from GP or Sonny....All indications are they are going to get their shot. Lets not forget that it's their job to prove they belong and can actually out play the veterans. Will it require some trust and forward thinking on the part of the staff? Sure, but ultimately Its the responsibility of Duggan or JR to earn that trust on the field. If they want the job the they need to go kick that trust in the teethe and be who everyone wants them to be. Until then the job belongs to the vets.
I think most people you are referring to think that they know what they have in Delton and Collins because of what they’ve seen on the field, and they are disappointed that Duggan or Rodgers couldn’t beat that level of QB out for the job.

Either that or they think Duggan has more upside but that after last season with Shawn Robinson, Gary/Cumbie will be scared of potential turnovers and play the safer bet with the lower ceiling (Delton), which they don’t agree with.

I’m not saying what I think the correct move is or that those ideas are the correct way to think about it (I haven’t been in practices and I have no idea who is best), I’m just trying to explain the thought process of those that you are confused by.

I will assume that the coaches are going to do the right thing though.

Last edited:

Froggish

I think most people you are referring to think that they know what they have in Delton and Collins because of what they’ve seen on the field, and they are disappointed that Duggan or Rodgers couldn’t beat that level of QB out for the job.

Either that or they think Duggan has more upside but that after last season with Shawn Robinson, Gary/Cumbie will be scared of potential turnovers and play the safer bet with the lower ceiling (Delton), which they don’t agree with.

I’m not saying what I think the correct move is or that those ideas are the correct way to think about it (I haven’t been in practices and I have no idea who is best), I’m just trying to explain the thought process of those that you are confused by.

I will assume that the coaches are going to do the right thing though.

I think one of the more overlooked obvious things going on is that Sonny/GP value the legs of Delton above any of the other QBs arms..The reality is that GP has a hard on for a a QB with wheels. He said as much for 3 years yet nobody listens because we all want a vertical passing game

I’ll add that I’ve been pretty hard on Cumbie over the last few seasons and while I still think he’s pretty bad on game day, Im beginning to believe that GPs love affair with a running QB is placing some tough parameters on Cumbie. GP May be “hands off” with the play calling and formations but he’s calling some shots on the QB type he wants which has a profound impact on SCs DNA.

Last year we assumed Shawn got the job because he was promised it but it’s possible that GP called that shot because Shawn was the more “elusive” guy and we know how that turned out

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

I think one of the more overlooked obvious things going on is that Sonny/GP value the legs of Delton above any of the other QBs arms..The reality is that GP has a hard on for a a QB with wheels. He said as much for 3 years yet nobody listens because we all want a vertical passing game

I’ll add that I’ve been pretty hard on Cumbie over the last few seasons and while I still think he’s pretty bad on game day, Im beginning to believe that GPs love affair with a running QB is placing some tough parameters on Cumbie. GP May be “hands off” with the play calling and formations but he’s calling some shots on the QB type he wants which has a profound impact on SCs DNA.

Last year we assumed Shawn got the job because he was promised it but it’s possible that GP called that shot because Shawn was the more “elusive” guy and we know how that turned out
I don’t think Gary loves a QB that can run, I think Gary loves a true dual-threat QB that make an opposing DC have to figure out how to stop not only a traditional running and passing game, but also the non-traditional QB running game. As a DC, Gary understands how hard it is to defend that extra wrinkle in an offense. And it’s true, when you have a QB who has a great arm and good legs, it’s a betch to defend.

What doesn’t scare anyone though, Gary included, is a fast QB who can’t throw a lick. And I think that’s what a lot of Frog fans are worried about with Delton (myself included). We keep hearing that he’s impressed/surprised the coaching staff with his throwing ability, and I’m hoping like hell it’s true, but color me skeptical based on what I saw at KSU. What I saw wasn’t a guy who was just a victim of his offensive system, I saw a guy who lacked the physical ability to pass the ball at an elite level.

I understand he can make up for some of that with his legs, but if I have to choose between an elite arm or elite legs at the QB position, I will take an elite arm all day long. Being mobile is a fantastic bonus.

Dman890

The under told story is that Cumbie is on the hot seat. Gary won’t come out and say that but he does judge performance in 2year increments. I think Cumbie will make decisions that will show an improvement in the offense / and I think that includes a much shorter leash than Shawn TO Robinson had last year.

Froggish

I don’t think Gary loves a QB that can run, I think Gary loves a true dual-threat QB that make an opposing DC have to figure out how to stop not only a traditional running and passing game, but also the non-traditional QB running game. As a DC, Gary understands how hard it is to defend that extra wrinkle in an offense. And it’s true, when you have a QB who has a great arm and good legs, it’s a betch to defend.

What doesn’t scare anyone though, Gary included, is a fast QB who can’t throw a lick. And I think that’s what a lot of Frog fans are worried about with Delton (myself included). We keep hearing that he’s impressed/surprised the coaching staff with his throwing ability, and I’m hoping like hell it’s true, but color me skeptical based on what I saw at KSU. What I saw wasn’t a guy who was just a victim of his offensive system, I saw a guy who lacked the physical ability to pass the ball at an elite level.

I understand he can make up for some of that with his legs, but if I have to choose between an elite arm or elite legs at the QB position, I will take an elite arm all day long. Being mobile is a fantastic bonus.

I wasn’t implying that GP has no desire to throw the football but if Delton wins the job, this will be the second year in a row that GP and Cumbie will have chosen Feet talent over Arm talent. That would indicate that the running factor or escapability as GP likes to say means a little more to this offense than pushing the ball downfield.

Certainly a true dual threat is the best of both worlds. GP as defensive guy has built his reputation confusing and pressuring QBs and so I have no doubt he sees the highest value in a guy who’s legs can get himself out of trouble. It could turn out that Delton is a poor mans Jalen Hurts. But if that passing game can’t pull its weight by stretching the field some then we are in for some frustrating Saturdays.