• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘I feel like I’m a playmaker.’ How Alex Delton can win TCU’s starting QB job

McGregor's Goat

Whoo boy. Michael Collins put up better numbers last year than Delton ever had at Kansas State, and I see more reason to think that Collins could take a leap forward than Delton. Maybe the bad numbers are just because Kansas State was running a stone age offense and he will be "unleashed" at TCU. It's seems pretty clear that he is going to be the starter, so I hope he's suddenly good.

4th. down

Whoo boy. Michael Collins put up better numbers last year than Delton ever had at Kansas State, and I see more reason to think that Collins could take a leap forward than Delton. Maybe the bad numbers are just because Kansas State was running a stone age offense and he will be "unleashed" at TCU. It's seems pretty clear that he is going to be the starter, so I hope he's suddenly good.

Wouldn't disagree but Delton has looked good in practice, better than the others.

Limp Lizard

Wouldn't disagree but Delton has looked good in practice, better than the others.
At least better than the experienced QB's.

Which brings up the question. GP has always professed a "hands off" approach to the offense. Yet some things, like giving huge weight to QB experience, has been the norm. So have our OCs held this attitude, too, or is there more interference by GP than we are led to believe?

netty2424

I bet KH also played a lot more games in 2 years than Delton did in 4 b/c one of those 4 years had to be a red shirt year where he couldn't play a down. So Delton played one full season and then was replaced early on last season.
There’s no doubt KH got more reps. But that’s the way football go. Stats have been argued on here ad nauseam, that they don’t tell the whole story, which I agree. So they are what they are.

I was just curious.

Career average
Delton 4.08 yds/carry
Hill 5.07 yds/carry

2016&2017
Hill 4.17 yds/carry.

4th. down

At least better than the experienced QB's.

Which brings up the question. GP has always professed a "hands off" approach to the offense. Yet some things, like giving huge weight to QB experience, has been the norm. So have our OCs held this attitude, too, or is there more interference by GP than we are led to believe?

That's a very good question that seems to be continually debated. Let's get real though, do you think GP's personality is to lay low - quite the opposite I would think. When GP figured out Robinson was not the answer early on, he began promoting Collins in his interviews and pressers - just a little here and there but he got Collins name out there.

Why Delton? GP and the offensive staff like him as a person and athlete plus his maturity - there won't be any Casey or Boykin going off the handle. He can run, and run good and his passing is better than in the past. Sonny is working well with him. Now can he go to Norman and lay 40+ on OU, no but he can get us to 9-3 and maybe a bowl win.

The question in my mind is 9-3 good enough with this team? It will be a long time, a very long time, before we have this defense again, and our offensive line, Reagor, Anderson, and Sewo.

Purp

There’s no doubt KH got more reps. But that’s the way football go. Stats have been argued on here ad nauseam, that they don’t tell the whole story, which I agree. So they are what they are.

I was just curious.

Career average
Delton 4.08 yds/carry
Hill 5.07 yds/carry

2016&2017
Hill 4.17 yds/carry.
I get what you're saying. If we're just talking about who is the better runner, though, I'd take Delton over Kenny. It's never that easy of an analysis, however.

The rushing yards per carry is an insightful stat, but you still have to evaluate the offense each ran and how their abilities matched that offense. I'm not so sure Delton will be a great read-option QB if he can't threaten defenses over the top. Defenses will be able to key on him too easily to surrender many yards to him. IMO he's more of an option QB. If his abilities don't align well with the offense he won't rush for many yards regardless of how great a runner he might be.

Limp Lizard

Long story short, I don't care who the QB is, as long as he efficiently leads to offense to TDs. Not field goals, that to me is lack of efficiency: inability to score touchdowns in the red zone. Once you get close, score a TD.

BABYFACE

Batteaux went beyond decision making in the option. He FORCED the defensive decisions. Very aggressively ran full speed straight at the DE, forcing him to commit. He was one of the best ever at option.
Yes, he could get to the edge(DE) quicker than any TCU QB I ever saw. Wacker would have loved him in his triple option veer attack.

netty2424

I get what you're saying. If we're just talking about who is the better runner, though, I'd take Delton over Kenny. It's never that easy of an analysis, however.

The rushing yards per carry is an insightful stat, but you still have to evaluate the offense each ran and how their abilities matched that offense. I'm not so sure Delton will be a great read-option QB if he can't threaten defenses over the top. Defenses will be able to key on him too easily to surrender many yards to him. IMO he's more of an option QB. If his abilities don't align well with the offense he won't rush for many yards regardless of how great a runner he might be.
Agree completely. I’m not really building a case for or against, just showing numbers as I was curious. As mentioned, stats don’t always tell the tale.

Part of why KH could run was because he could beat you with his arm a little bit(bubble screens/outs/etc). Enough to keep defenses guessing. Couple that with this offense being more spread out.

I don’t know what Delton is going to bring. He’s got such little on field data to support anything really.

Froggish

Believe there is a scrimmage on Sat that will tell a lot about who can move the ball...The reality is both Delton and Collins are getting the benefit of the doubt because of their experience...Truthfully, they deserve that..If Duggan or JR want to have some dog in the fight then they need to turn heads during the scrimmage and when they get opportunities. Its Delton and Collins job to loose...I work with young sales reps every day. They know that they have to go take business away from established peers or go hungry. The same can be said for Max and JR...Go take the job. Its not GP or SC fault if one of the young guys can't steal the job...Now if SC won't give the youngsters a chance then that's different. From what I am hearing, they will get their chance.

Last edited:

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Glad he is a phenomenal human being but is he a phenomenal quarterback? On blind dates they always say first, "she has a great personality" I would rather them say she is gorgeous. Great Delton has a great personality, but what I really want them to say is this guy is a quarterback and is going to shock the Big 12 and college football with how good he is.
Harvey Penick quote from The Little Red Book, "I know they will be better players under your guidance; will they better human beings?".

ShreveFrog

He can run, and run good and his passing is better than in the past. Sonny is working well with him.

Delton's passing is better based on what? Passing drills? Let me know how he looks when he's facing a pass rush. Or has a tight window. Or when he has to check down.

He seems generously listed at 6'0." I'm not impressed by the big windup I've seen on video. I'm sorry. I'm not sold. But honestly, I haven't seen him really other than his action against us. If he turns out to be the guy, then I hope he's one of the great stories of college football 2019.

Go Frogs!

4th. down

Delton's passing is better based on what? Passing drills? Let me know how he looks when he's facing a pass rush. Or has a tight window. Or when he has to check down.

He seems generously listed at 6'0." I'm not impressed by the big windup I've seen on video. I'm sorry. I'm not sold. But honestly, I haven't seen him really other than his action against us. If he turns out to be the guy, then I hope he's one of the great stories of college football 2019.

Go Frogs!

Your doubts are more than understandable, however, I trust my source, it's been good for several years. Delton is getting better by the day and it's not that far fetched because look what Sonny did with Boykin and Kenny. I know, seeing is believing, so we all wait.

Not many, in fact few teams on our schedule can beat us if we move the chains, score in the red zone and limit turnovers - that's how the coaching staff is viewing Delton - he is making fewer mistakes and he can run, run, run. Personally, I would prefer Rogers if he's healthy, because if he got hot, he could hang half a hundred on you........quick.