• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

Eight

Cast was a true leader. I remember him being pretty intense WHEN he played. He called other players and made sure they were in the right position etc. He was a leader.

as i mentioned in reference to the baylor 2013 loss, that was like watching a greek tragedy with how much casey how gone through, his standing up and answering all the questions from the media about his mistakes, and then for his career to end that way was damn near heartbreaking.

H0RNEDFR0G

agreed and it is comedic how much credibility is given to the opinion of the national guys.

Imagine trying to rank defensive players accurately. There's so much less data tracked.

For a real challenge, try to find out stats for the players at your local high school for: total tackles, solo tackles, sacks, hurries, tackles for loss, passes defended, interceptions, forced fumbles, & fumble recoveries.

Despite how the "experts" rank these guys, it's obvious that TCU gets a better defensive class than UT every year.

Eight

Imagine trying to rank defensive players accurately. There's so much less data tracked.

For a real challenge, try to find out stats for the players at your local high school for: total tackles, solo tackles, sacks, hurries, tackles for loss, passes defended, interceptions, forced fumbles, & fumble recoveries.

Despite how the "experts" rank these guys, it's obvious that TCU gets a better defensive class than UT every year.

i think the biggest issue with trying to rank defensive recruits is a good number of the recruiting "experts" don't have the ability to accurate project the players 2-3 years done the road once they get to college let alone in a specific school's system.

one advantage someone like jeremy does have in this area is he has been around tcu long enough and had access to patterson and the staff that he has a good idea what they are looking for at various positions.

some perspective on the challenge of projecting if you look at the frogs classes from 2012 to 2018 and break them out in defensive positions you can see where even for the staff it is tough to project players.

defensive tackle has the highest hit rate which makes sense as chris bradley really is the only undersized prospect they have recruited since joining the big 12.

defensive end is next with roughly half the recruits panning out. 2012 at defensive end the frogs class included devonte fields, james mcfarland, terrell lathan, and josh carraway. if only every position had a year like that one.

no surprise safety has a pretty good rate of success, but you do have factor in the players who have been flipped to other positions.

the position with highest miss rate? when you consider the difficulty of what tcu ask from the players at this position it should be no surprise the struggle at linebacker.

hopefully that changes as tcu is recruiting a different type of athlete in this position the past two seasons.

finally, corner has had a fairly high miss rate, but when the frogs have hit they have been very good (i.e texada, gladney, and lewis).

Casey T

2013 loss to baylor also gave them the B12 title unfortunately. Had we won like we should have, it would have been a 4 way tie for 1st place.

4 true champions!

DickBumpastache

pachall was more highly regarded based upon?

if we are looking at common metrics, 247 had max as the #229 prospect in the country, #5 dual threat quarterback, a prospect score of 0.9127, and a 4 star.

247 had casey as the #365 prospect in the country in 2009, #17 pro style quarterback, a prospect score of 0.8862, and a 3 star.

247 actually had foster sawyer as a higher rated prospect than casey.

all the ratings go out the window once they step on campus and have to start player, but the only two quarterback prospects rated higher than max by 247 are shawn and the highest is actually justin rogers.

I have no idea how 247 compiles their rankings before they were actually a functioning site, but I know they weren’t anywhere on the recruiting scene in 2009. Rivals and Scout were the 2 big sites at that time. Rivals had him as the #9 QB in the country and a 4*.

Pachall was offered by Florida, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. IIRC he was an Under Armour AA. His commitment was an enormous deal. And he had a better arm than AD. Of course, he didn’t possess 1/100th of Andy’s work ethic, leadership skills, decision making, et al. But if you saw him as a senior at Brownwood, you didn’t have to dream hard to see a future All-American/1st round pick/etc.

AroundWorldFrog

I have no idea how 247 compiles their rankings before they were actually a functioning site, but I know they weren’t anywhere on the recruiting scene in 2009. Rivals and Scout were the 2 big sites at that time. Rivals had him as the #9 QB in the country and a 4*.

Pachall was offered by Florida, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. IIRC he was an Under Armour AA. His commitment was an enormous deal. And he had a better arm than AD. Of course, he didn’t possess 1/100th of Andy’s work ethic, leadership skills, decision making, et al. But if you saw him as a senior at Brownwood, you didn’t have to dream hard to see a future All-American/1st round pick/etc.

He was, I believe, in the top 5 ranked QBs in the country when he had his "misfortune". Certainly the best in the Big 12.

CountryFrog

i think the biggest issue with trying to rank defensive recruits is a good number of the recruiting "experts" don't have the ability to accurate project the players 2-3 years done the road once they get to college let alone in a specific school's system.

one advantage someone like jeremy does have in this area is he has been around tcu long enough and had access to patterson and the staff that he has a good idea what they are looking for at various positions.

some perspective on the challenge of projecting if you look at the frogs classes from 2012 to 2018 and break them out in defensive positions you can see where even for the staff it is tough to project players.

defensive tackle has the highest hit rate which makes sense as chris bradley really is the only undersized prospect they have recruited since joining the big 12.

defensive end is next with roughly half the recruits panning out. 2012 at defensive end the frogs class included devonte fields, james mcfarland, terrell lathan, and josh carraway. if only every position had a year like that one.

no surprise safety has a pretty good rate of success, but you do have factor in the players who have been flipped to other positions.

the position with highest miss rate? when you consider the difficulty of what tcu ask from the players at this position it should be no surprise the struggle at linebacker.

hopefully that changes as tcu is recruiting a different type of athlete in this position the past two seasons.

finally, corner has had a fairly high miss rate, but when the frogs have hit they have been very good (i.e texada, gladney, and lewis).
I think the biggest issue with trying to rank ALL recruits is that most of the "experts" doing it don't actually know [ Finebaum ] about football.

Eight

the 247 ranking is a composite ranking of multiple services included rivals and the old scout rankings. not sure who else is included.

duggan was offered by uga, uo, nd, penn state, ohio state as well as tcu.

he was a high aa though i have no idea which if any post season games that he might have played in and i have no idea how his arm compared to ad.

casey was a big deal, but i also believe some of that comes from where tcu was at that time as a program and the level of recruit the frogs were bringing in overall as compared to where they are today.

consider that the year before tcu signed casey they signed yogi gallegos from irving so there was a bit of a jump in prospect quality

compare that to shawn robinson in 2017, justin rogers in 2018, and then max dugan in 2019.

LeagueCityFrog

I'm hearing solid rumors our old TCU offensive playbook of the last couple of years has now been trashed and Gary is having Sonny Cumbie install Art Briles' 2013 and 2014 offense to match Gary's anticipated high octane defense this year.

Think about that for a second, Art Briles offense at its peak, Baylor destroyed OU by about 3+ touchdowns in both 2013 and 2014 AND Gary's sick defense that's coming.

I hope this is true. It is a simplified and effective offense to run. One note that I've notice since Doug Meacham has left. Sonny subs out receivers too much. By doing this, by rule, the defense is allowed to counter substitute and that defeats the purpose of our offense pacing out our opponent's defense. Meacham did not do this as much unless he wasn't wanting to go fast on a particular play.

My vote let the 3 to 4 starting receivers run 3 to 6 plays in a row before substituting and that should be the maximum fast needed and should just kill the opponent's defensive line with exhaustion.

Another observation of Art and his offense during those apex years. He was always cool and calm on the sidelines with his offensive players and so was his son little tape fingers. Meacham wearing his sunglasses at night while drinking his red bull on the sidelines during our games was the same way. There is a value in keeping offensive players locked in and loose. Boykin never played up tight.

Go Frogs and no more Fall camp injuries.

I think a big season for us Frog fans is coming.