• The KillerFrogs

The Beer is Near

DeepEllumFrog

I don't really care how much you care, but I think it's a good idea for our administration to make people choose. At the end of the day I think attendance increases and the start of the 3rd quarter isn't a ghost town when the team returns.

If you think it's good optics to change the rules after you have already taken everyone's money, that already tells me a lot

Lone Frog

What is your reasoning for needing in and out? Honestly curious. I have young kids and would love the option to leave and come back but am willing to sacrifice to keep butts in the seats. Now that they are serving in the stadium I don’t see other reasons than the one I mentioned to leave and come back. Which is why I’m actually curious where fans annoyance stems.

Sometimes it's to avoid the halftime performances. Sometimes it's to pay a quick visit to someone's tailgate. Sometimes (particularly when our offense looks like it did last year) it's to grab a quick smoke. That's actually one of my favorite parts of the game, as I've often had the chance to meet and talk to players' parents. Austin Schlottman's dad met up with us pretty much every halftime to shoot the breeze - learned a lot from him about player's perspective on what was happening. Davion Pierson's parents were funny as hell. Matt Pryor's mom was a tiny little thing - particularly given the size of her son.

And I was always back in my seat by the time the third quarter began.

MTfrog5

It blows my mind that some people feel the need to leave for their tailgate to get a drink. Always has. The fact is more people leave than come back and looks terrible for our fan base when the team comes back. Hopefully the lengthen tailgating before games so fans don’t wait until 5 minutes before kickoff to decide to come into the stadium.

froginmn

Sometimes it's to avoid the halftime performances. Sometimes it's to pay a quick visit to someone's tailgate. Sometimes (particularly when our offense looks like it did last year) it's to grab a quick smoke. That's actually one of my favorite parts of the game, as I've often had the chance to meet and talk to players' parents. Austin Schlottman's dad met up with us pretty much every halftime to shoot the breeze - learned a lot from him about player's perspective on what was happening. Davion Pierson's parents were funny as hell. Matt Pryor's mom was a tiny little thing - particularly given the size of her son.

Pretty sure the parents won't be allowed to go in and out, so those conversations can now happen inside the stadium instead.

HFrog12

See I actually appreciate this dialogue and understand everyone’s situation and tradition is unique. I am fortunate to have a close parking spot and would love to be able to go get something if need be. However, I would gladly sacrifice if it helps avoiding the embarrassment of empty stands in the 3rd.

I think you are unique in the sense that you have the ability to make it back on time.

FrogAbroad

I'm looking forward to the vids of drunks falling down the concrete steps in The Carter--that's always riotously hilarious! Hopefully there will be a permanent thread on this. I can hardly wait!

Purp

A causal relationship between in and out and attendance? I don’t have a statistical analysis if that’s what you are asking. But if you just look at the amount of people tailgating during the game and during halftime and look at the difference in 3rd quarter vs. 2nd quarter I think it’s fairly obvious. This has been a TCU problem and I think most fans recognize that.

Not sure what causal relationship you mean, but your complaints besides the quality of beer aren’t valid. Baking in the sun? No one makes you stay in your seats. You can find shade all over. I am still looking for a legit reason to leave and come back. I stated that having kids and wanting to leave and come back seems valid. I just don’t know why you would want to tailgate during the game. And if you do then that’s your prerogative and I am sorry they changed the rules on you.
Not trying to quibble with you, but we bring young kids and I can't imagine wanting to leave with them and come back. Their little legs don't walk fast and can't handle that many steps without being carried so it means a lot more shoulder sweat for me and a bigger pain in the rear. We just bring a huge clear backpack in with us loaded down with every boy scout prep item we might have a 1% chance of needing.

I really can't think of a single reason to want to leave now other than the $7 price of beer being too high for some people.

And just because the thread title talks about near beer doesn't mean it'll be bad beer. There were plenty of good selections at Lupton.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
scheissing ambev........the guys who started karbach had every right to sell out to ambev, but once they did that was the last time i bought one of their beers.

understand st arnold's is tied to silver eagle, but they still own and control the product and not doing [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] like using that parasitic state rep from north houston to sponsor state laws targeted squarely at the craft brewers who have been kicking their asses.
St. Arnold's has a distribution contract with Silver Eagle, but that is the extent of their relationship. I don't think they will ever sell out, as least, not while Brock is running the show...

The Lege is particularly horrible when it comes to legislation concerning alcohol, as they are quite content to allow the 'Booze Brothers' (a couple of lawyers employed by the Big Brewers and Big Distributors) to write any bills that they feel the need to contemplate. The Texas Craft Brewers Guild is trying to change that, but our State Legislators are astonishingly stupid when it comes to lobbyists waving money around. The Craft Brewers don't have nearly unlimited funds with which to bribe...

Frog-in-law1995

See I actually appreciate this dialogue and understand everyone’s situation and tradition is unique. I am fortunate to have a close parking spot and would love to be able to go get something if need be. However, I would gladly sacrifice if it helps avoiding the embarrassment of empty stands in the 3rd.

I think you are unique in the sense that you have the ability to make it back on time.

Before the renovation, my FIL had the parking spot two spots to the right of the gate in the chain link fence underneath the north scoreboard (behind where the Bobby’s fajitas cart was always set up). Literally 5 steps from the gate. Sometimes we sat with him on the west side, midfield under the overhang, and sometimes we’d buy GA tickets and sit in the north end zone, so the walk from our seats to the tailgate was either about 2 minutes, or about 15 seconds. I would usually step out to the tailgate to grab a beer at halftime and I almost always missed the second half kickoff.