• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

texas_sicilian

I have no idea, I’ve never seen him play. Two years ago (or even a year ago) people were saying the same thing about Shawn Robinson. We’ve had a few highly regarded kids come through here in recent history, which one was remotely able to come in and light it up as a true freshman? I think it’s just expecting way way too much for a kid who last year was playing high school ball in Iowa. And we are talking this upcoming season. How about giving him a year or two to kind of figure things out a bit before thinking he’s our best chance at an 11-1 type season? Do you remember how overwhelmed SR, pachall, Sawyer, Boykin, Matthews and even Dalton looked as freshman, much less true freshman?
In fairness, I don’t recall any of those you mentioned getting as much praise as Duggan has since he stepped on campus.

Not sure if you subscribe to 247, but there are a lot of very promising nuggets on him (from coaches, not fans).

Mean Purple

This is what I don't get. Based on what? A 247 or Rivals rating? I bet literally nobody on this board has ever seen the kid play a game (and if you did it was against Iowa high schoolers), so on what basis does he seem to have more potential to put a team on his back?
Some of us have been fortunate to see some game film. The kid has serious skills. There's a reason other schools were after him.

Obviously, he'll have to do it for entire games, but ...
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article233510297.html

Info on the qb's about midway down.

Eight

In fairness, I don’t recall any of those you mentioned getting as much praise as Duggan has since he stepped on campus.

Not sure if you subscribe to 247, but there are a lot of very promising nuggets on him (from coaches, not fans).

max also might be the first true freshman who has graduated early and been able to compete in spring practice prior to his first fall camp.

i can't recall off the top of my head any other true freshmen quarterbacks who were in this same situation.

TX_Krötenechse

This is what I don't get. Based on what? A 247 or Rivals rating? I bet literally nobody on this board has ever seen the kid play a game (and if you did it was against Iowa high schoolers), so on what basis does he seem to have more potential to put a team on his back?
Well I said potential. It isn’t a guarantee, which is why I added that he may cost us games with freshman mistakes. But he’s had really positive praise out of spring and fall camp, and yes his recruiting rankings come into play.

Keep in mind another point that I made, which is that the early bye week gives us a pretty unique opportunity to get the feet under a true freshman QB.

max also might be the first true freshman who has graduated early and been able to compete in spring practice prior to his first fall camp.

i can't recall off the top of my head any other true freshmen quarterbacks who were in this same situation.
I'm not sure what you mean by "compete" but Shawn Robinson and Brennen Wooten immediately come to mind as QB's who were early enrollees.

Eight

I'm not sure what you mean by "compete" but Shawn Robinson and Brennen Wooten immediately come to mind as QB's who were early enrollees.

i couldn't remember if shawn came in the spring before his first season or not.

thanks, really would have thought he would have had a better under standing of the expectations of the position.

wooten was one who was in over his head at this level and wasn't going to compete for the starters position and shawn had kenny squarely in front of him.

max is in a bit of a different situation as there isn't a proven player in front of him.

4th. down

I have no idea, I’ve never seen him play. Two years ago (or even a year ago) people were saying the same thing about Shawn Robinson. We’ve had a few highly regarded kids come through here in recent history, which one was remotely able to come in and light it up as a true freshman? I think it’s just expecting way way too much for a kid who last year was playing high school ball in Iowa. And we are talking this upcoming season. How about giving him a year or two to kind of figure things out a bit before thinking he’s our best chance at an 11-1 type season? Do you remember how overwhelmed SR, pachall, Sawyer, Boykin, Matthews and even Dalton looked as freshman, much less true freshman?

Yes, our memory is short.

i couldn't remember if shawn came in the spring before his first season or not.

thanks, really would have thought he would have had a better under standing of the expectations of the position.

wooten was one who was in over his head at this level and wasn't going to compete for the starters position and shawn had kenny squarely in front of him.

max is in a bit of a different situation as there isn't a proven player in front of him.
True, if you look at it that way, there isn't an established player. The Wooten deal is one I don't get. I understand that playing QB at this level is difficult and there will be plenty that don't work out even if they have the physical ability to make the throws and such but Wooten was a guy that Cumbie apparently sought out and stuck with over other options, not someone they just took because they needed a body. I remember watching him at the spring game that year and thinking he looked like someone had let their kid on to the field. I don't understand how you can mis-evaluate the physical standing of a player so badly.

asleep003

With Wexahu on the over zealousness with a HS freshman on this site. There were several that were making noise about Wooten's potential prospects(a smallish 3*). They were very pleased with his film and on the field awareness and presence. A starting HS Fr QB should be a very improbable expectation.

NewFrogFan

Thinking of Scott and the Nix family today. Always do on the day of GPs fall kickoff presser. Thinking of you as well, @wes!

Honey-Butter-Chicken-Biscuit.gif

Scrolling through and saw this, brings tears to my eyes.........seems like a dream that I ever knew him. Thinking
About you too Wes, everyday..........we all are.

Eight

Point well taken, but look at the Clemson kid.

the senior who started and won the game at atm or the backup who came on and won the game at home versus syracuse.

dabo rolled the dice when the made the switch for a team that was clearly the best in the acc and one of the best in the country. the lawrence decision as much as anything was made from a perspective that he was the guy who they would ultimately need to beat bama.

clemson won so from what he know the decision was the right one, but lawrence didn't start dropping 300 yards games from the start and he was allowed to build into the offense.

the presumption by many is that tcu is in a similar situation, but that isn't exactly the case. defensively on paper the frogs look solid, but there are still questions on offense. will the interior of the offensive line start solid? who is the second receiver? exactly what is the offensive identity of the frogs this year?

i am open to the idea of starting duggan if he is truly the best, but the middle section of the frogs schedule is no cakewalk with 3 big 12 games on the road and this team needs to know who and what they are and not what they hope to be when they reach that point in the season.

McGregor's Goat

My simple model for how most fans are viewing the QB competition:

Is there a chance he could be an elite QB in 2019 and lead TCU to a dream season?

* Delton: no
* Collins: no
* Rogers: barring a miraculous recovery that even most optimistic fans can't imagine right now, no
* Baldwin: n/a, come back next year
* Duggan: so you're saying there's a chance!

I think Delton is going to start but I don't have an opinion as to who should start. I think I'll probably have a strong and irrational opinion after the Purdue game.

Eight

True, if you look at it that way, there isn't an established player. The Wooten deal is one I don't get. I understand that playing QB at this level is difficult and there will be plenty that don't work out even if they have the physical ability to make the throws and such but Wooten was a guy that Cumbie apparently sought out and stuck with over other options, not someone they just took because they needed a body. I remember watching him at the spring game that year and thinking he looked like someone had let their kid on to the field. I don't understand how you can mis-evaluate the physical standing of a player so badly.

i am curious if sonny projected himself and his experience at tech onto wooten.

sonny was a walk on, worked his way through the program, and got his chance to be the starter his senior season. maybe he thought wooten would be willing to follow the same path and when he got to tcu wooten felt he wanted to be somewhere he could play sooner? maybe the gap was just too big?

hard to say, but i do agree with some that a time frame in which it takes 3-4 years to develop your quarterbacks is just too long. tech's situation was not the norm, but leach could get by because of people tied to the school and to learn the game under him.

Eight

My simple model for how most fans are viewing the QB competition:

Is there a chance he could be an elite QB in 2019 and lead TCU to a dream season?

* Delton: no
* Collins: no
* Rogers: barring a miraculous recovery that even most optimistic fans can't imagine right now, no
* Baldwin: n/a, come back next year
* Duggan: so you're saying there's a chance!

I think Delton is going to start but I don't have an opinion as to who should start. I think I'll probably have a strong and irrational opinion after the Purdue game.

i think this is accurate for many.

most coaches will embrace the devil they know for the one they don't know.

fans tend to be the opposite aka the love for the back up quarterback

DickBumpastache

Pachall was more highly regarded than Duggan and graduated early...that’s over a decade ago now. Since then there have been several others. None have taken the starting job or even been that close. I would expect the same happens with Duggan.