• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

jake102

I also think "arm strength" is less important than "arm talent".

Example: Joe Flacco has tons of arm strength. Deshaun Watson has tons of arm talent. Guys like Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers have both.

Will Grier had a lot of arm talent but not a super strong arm.

texas_sicilian

So the latest Frogcast had an interesting question.... which one would you choose?
1) Delton starts and TCU goes 9-3
2) Duggan starts and it's 50/50 whether we go 7-5 or 11-1.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make in terms of what we may be looking at... which is the difficult piece to acknowledge.

If it were me (as a fan), I'd say roll the frickin dice and let's go for the gusto.

If I'm a coach where my butt's on the line if we don't have a strong offensive performance this year, I'm going for the strongest odds of having a great season, even if it means a CCG is likely out of reach.

Here's an even more frustrating scenario: we start Delton and he plods along with a few wins, we get into conference games, and we blow one or two. We then put Duggan or Collins in and win out.

Queue the "shoulda woulda coulda" crowd (myself included).

Wexahu

That's exactly the point I was trying to make in terms of what we may be looking at... which is the difficult piece to acknowledge.

If it were me (as a fan), I'd say roll the frickin dice and let's go for the gusto.

Except I'm pretty sure that isn't what we'll be looking at. The reality is the guy that gives us the best chance to go 9-3 is probably the guy that gives us the best chance to go 11-1, whoever that may be. Football games aren't played on a video game screen or a poker table which is how some armchair QBs seem to see it.

The better QB is going to give you better odds to win every game.

Eight

If I'm a coach where my butt's on the line if we don't have a strong offensive performance this year, I'm going for the strongest odds of having a great season, even if it means a CCG is likely out of reach.

Here's an even more frustrating scenario: we start Delton and he plods along with a few wins, we get into conference games, and we blow one or two. We then put Duggan or Collins in and win out.

Queue the "shoulda woulda coulda" crowd (myself included).

the problem is your scenario is built upon the presumption that the first part of the season would have played out exactly the same if a change had been made sooner.

you can't live life always looking backwards at what might have been and it is the same for those who make these decisions for this team.

sonny and his staff can learn from how last year played out, but you can't make your decisions for this year based upon what happened last year.

McGregor's Goat

We have been on the cusp of greatness in the B12. We just needed to get past OU. If OU didn't get Baker Mayfield, we could have 2 more B12 Championship Trophies in the DMC as we speak (2015 & 2017). As it sits, our sole B12 title came in the year Mayfield was forced to sit out...

I think you could just as easily argue that TCU vs. OU was always close when Stoops was the coach, but not at all close since Lincoln Riley took over, and there isn't any evidence that OU is slowing down. They're recruiting better than ever and just hired a competent defensive coordinator. I really hope some NFL team hires Riley.

LawFrog504

I think you could just as easily argue that TCU vs. OU was always close when Stoops was the coach, but not at all close since Lincoln Riley took over, and there isn't any evidence that OU is slowing down. They're recruiting better than ever and just hired a competent defensive coordinator. I really hope some NFL team hires Riley.
This is the accurate and proper way to view ourselves against Oklahoma until we see something to prove otherwise. We are not competitive against them w Riley as head coach

texas_sicilian

Except I'm pretty sure that isn't what we'll be looking at. The reality is the guy that gives us the best chance to go 9-3 is probably the guy that gives us the best chance to go 11-1, whoever that may be. Football games aren't played on a video game screen or a poker table which is how some armchair QBs seem to see it.

The better QB is going to give you better odds to win every game.
I think there are QB's/situations, like with Kenny Hill, that can be a solidly safe bet, but inevitably comes with a ceiling. No QB is perfect, they all have a weakness. Hill's was arm strength and throwing over center.

Delton's has historically been arm strength and decision making, but hopefully both have improved, and even if he has "improved", it has been (as other's have argued), in limited practice.

I really hope we get to see meaningful live action with the top 3 in the first game or two.

It's hard to have complete confidence solely based on what is observed in practice, whether it be Delton's improvements, Duggan's potential, or Collin's rebound.

Last edited:

Eight

i read people talk about playing multiple quarterbacks in the early season games, but that is often times far easier to say you are going to do it than actually have it play out.

southern last year the frogs had 11 legit offensive series and 74 total offensive plays,

sounds like plenty, but a few were very short series and in the end the frogs were basically just running clock. gary has not been a guy who has run it up on these smaller schools.

competition wise i don't see how you really can do more than 2 with the third getting the mop up snaps at the end of the game and that is just the apb game.

i don't see tcu rotating quarterbacks at purdue unless the starter struggles and i think the same applies with smu.

4th. down

i read people talk about playing multiple quarterbacks in the early season games, but that is often times far easier to say you are going to do it than actually have it play out.

southern last year the frogs had 11 legit offensive series and 74 total offensive plays,

sounds like plenty, but a few were very short series and in the end the frogs were basically just running clock. gary has not been a guy who has run it up on these smaller schools.

competition wise i don't see how you really can do more than 2 with the third getting the mop up snaps at the end of the game and that is just the apb game.

i don't see tcu rotating quarterbacks at purdue unless the starter struggles and i think the same applies with smu.

I would have to concur on the rotating as we don't really show a history of doing that. But........we should see 2 against APB with Collins coming in midway through the 3rd. quarter would be my guess. For the other 2 non conference games, believe it's Delton. The mop up late in the 4th. quarters don't mean anything - Mule did that.

TX_Krötenechse

I think there are a couple of reasons to argue for starting a true freshman this year versus other years. And btw this is not just about the shiny new recruit - if Rogers were healthy I’d be 100% for him over Duggan.

- Collins and to an extent Delton are known quantities with relatively low ceilings based on performance on the field. They probably won’t cost you games, but they’re unlikely to go out and win them either.
- Duggan might cost us games with mistakes but he also seems to have more potential to put the team on his back and carry us to a W
- We have potent weapons on both sides of the ball this season that we won’t next year, so despite having to play in Norman and Stillwater it is on paper a good season to have to chance at the conference championship
- The B12 has four new coaches and a lot of new QBs. It sets up well for TCU to lean on defense and make a run
- Our schedule is pretty much perfect for breaking in a new QB. A cupcake followed by an offweek to prep for a decent test, then a (hopefully) easy G5 home game. Four solid weeks before conference play

The other piece that I don’t see mentioned much is that going with Delton this year means breaking in a new QB next year regardless. I’d rather take the lumps now when there’s already so much chaos in the conference and when the supporting cast is that much stronger than it will be (on paper) next season.

Wexahu

- Duggan might cost us games with mistakes but he also seems to have more potential to put the team on his back and carry us to a W

This is what I don't get. Based on what? A 247 or Rivals rating? I bet literally nobody on this board has ever seen the kid play a game (and if you did it was against Iowa high schoolers), so on what basis does he seem to have more potential to put a team on his back?

Eight

Silly me, I made the mistake of coming to this thread for fall camp updates. Sorry to interrupt.

you honestly believe you are going to get accurate fall practice reports for tcu football under gary patterson?

the longest running bad joke for the patterson tenure is that after the first day or two they basically go into a media blackout.

one time we could count on a few things from gary, but i wouldn't expect much.

we can offer for you that according to gary earl barquet has seen a little bit of time at 3-technique though they aren't in pads yet and according to the roster wyatt harris is now a de, dee winters is a lb, hidari ceasar is a corner, and keenan reed is a safety

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
you honestly believe you are going to get accurate fall practice reports for tcu football under gary patterson?

the longest running bad joke for the patterson tenure is that after the first day or two they basically go into a media blackout.

one time we could count on a few things from gary, but i wouldn't expect much.

we can offer for you that according to gary earl barquet has seen a little bit of time at 3-technique though they aren't in pads yet and according to the roster wyatt harris is now a de, dee winters is a lb, hidari ceasar is a corner, and keenan reed is a safety
Might be a shorter thread sure, but there are more people than just LHCGMFP that can give updates on what is happening over there. For example, I did see a few clips a few pages ago of practice work. So yes, it is possible. And much more appropriate for the thread title than speculatory arguments.

Moose Stuff

This is what I don't get. Based on what? A 247 or Rivals rating? I bet literally nobody on this board has ever seen the kid play a game (and if you did it was against Iowa high schoolers), so on what basis does he seem to have more potential to put a team on his back?

Well he did use the word “potential”.... so considering he’s got good size, a strong arm, he can run, and GP speaks highly of him I’m gonna go with those reasons for his potential to do that.

Dogfrog

So in your opinion he does not have that potential?

Wexahu

So in your opinion he does not have that potential?

I have no idea, I’ve never seen him play. Two years ago (or even a year ago) people were saying the same thing about Shawn Robinson. We’ve had a few highly regarded kids come through here in recent history, which one was remotely able to come in and light it up as a true freshman? I think it’s just expecting way way too much for a kid who last year was playing high school ball in Iowa. And we are talking this upcoming season. How about giving him a year or two to kind of figure things out a bit before thinking he’s our best chance at an 11-1 type season? Do you remember how overwhelmed SR, pachall, Sawyer, Boykin, Matthews and even Dalton looked as freshman, much less true freshman?