• The KillerFrogs

TWITTER: Let's Talk About the Carter

netty2424

Crap, here we go again.

Thanks for reminding me of why I sometimes hate to peruse this forum (or do it just to see what you and those like you might say). You always deliver!

Why don't you shut the eff up, attend the games (get there early and stay late), and stop worrying about the millionaires that help fund all of our enjoyment? Now THAT would be a refreshing perspective, wouldn't it?

I used to be like you. I hated the fact that the lower west bowl was either empty or filled with opposing fans. I'd sit there, given the opportunity, but that opportunity hasn't presented itself and I can't afford it. I've gotten good with myself as of late. I do what I can do and don't hate myself for it. I still have a good time, even though I'm on the east side. I'm there all game long since last season. No running out to the tailgate for me anymore.

An empty or opposing-fanned lower west bowl sucks. I grant you that. The seats are paid. They funded the renovation of our beloved new stadium. Do I wish that the seats were sold to Frog fans? Of course! Do such people really give a darn who uses seats that they aren't going to fill? I highly doubt it. I could only hope to be in the position that I had so much money rolling in that I didn't care who sat in what seats for some dang college football game.

The games are important to us, the college football fans. Those that funded the renovations of the stadium have more important things to worry about, I would assume.

That's just me, though. Maybe I haven't loved my Frogs as much as you do.
Little strong, IMO.

There are clearly issues, and they don’t get fixed with people shutting the scheiss up, or keeping their heads in the sand.

I have to assume everyone here appreciates the donors who’ve made this possible. Make no mistake, without those donors, this stadium is not what it is today.

But at what point do the benefits of donations become too self serving? I don’t think anyone would have a problem with those west side lower bowl seats having a little extra room side to side, or plush cushions, or wait service, or whatever, but as Jake stated, the amount of room in those rows behind the players bench is just stupid.

I got to sit in them for he OU game a few years ago and there were literally 7 seats to my left that were empty. Almost the entire row. And when 4-5 people on my right got up and left halfway through the game, we felt like we were on an island. It was bizarre. In arguably the most premium seats in the stadium, against the the winningest(word?) program this league has ever seen. And it was a good game at that point.

ShreveFrog

Drink holder solution for the lower bowl west side 1%ers.
rBVaWVxNWfaADOhrAAGdYjr-zvg280.jpg

froginmn

The only thing that continually upsets me, and is ironically literally set in place, is the spacing on the lowest west side seats. I've gotten to sit there a couple times and it's absurd how wide the aisles are... it's not even that enjoyable as a spectator, your drink is like five feet in front of you.
Y'all put your drinks down?

WhatTheFrog

Little strong, IMO.

There are clearly issues, and they don’t get fixed with people shutting the scheiss up, or keeping their heads in the sand.

I have to assume everyone here appreciates the donors who’ve made this possible. Make no mistake, without those donors, this stadium is not what it is today.

But at what point do the benefits of donations become too self serving? I don’t think anyone would have a problem with those west side lower bowl seats having a little extra room side to side, or plush cushions, or wait service, or whatever, but as Jake stated, the amount of room in those rows behind the players bench is just stupid.

I got to sit in them for he OU game a few years ago and there were literally 7 seats to my left that were empty. Almost the entire row. And when 4-5 people on my right got up and left halfway through the game, we felt like we were on an island. It was bizarre. In arguably the most premium seats in the stadium, against the the winningest(word?) program this league has ever seen. And it was a good game at that point.
So some broke-ass dudes are going to change things? I don't have the $10-$14k per year, or whatever it takes, to buy my 4 seats in the west lower bowl. At that price point, I really don't care. I'm glad we have some alumni (or local businesses) that are willing to buy that sheiss up. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see those seats filled up with some purple, but it is what it is. Like I said, those seats are paid for. That means that the program is getting its money. I want the program to get its money so that they can continue to put a competitive product on the field that I pay my piddly little sheiss money to attend and enjoy. I just want to win. If we win with burnt orange sitting in those seats, even better. Send them home feeling bad about themselves. I'm good with that.

Billy Clyde

So some broke-ass dudes are going to change things? I don't have the $10-$14k per year, or whatever it takes, to buy my 4 seats in the west lower bowl. At that price point, I really don't care. I'm glad we have some alumni (or local businesses) that are willing to buy that sheiss up. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see those seats filled up with some purple, but it is what it is. Like I said, those seats are paid for. That means that the program is getting its money. I want the program to get its money so that they can continue to put a competitive product on the field that I pay my piddly little sheiss money to attend and enjoy. I just want to win. If we win with burnt orange sitting in those seats, even better. Send them home feeling bad about themselves. I'm good with that.

Man I don't want to tilly, boys. Or donnybrook, boys. But this isn't an accurate picture at all. NOBODY (except maybe club box renters) is paying that per year. Someone backstop me here, but those LWS season tix, all-in are maybe what, $400-500 per unit?
The big number people payed (for those who wanted to game the system) was a ONE-time honking donation to buy priority points, so they could jump the line in front of us poor suckers who thought years or decades of loyalty would have some worth.
That big number that got them to the front of the line, would have been the same with or without flogging the system to buy extras to resell for profit. Whatever value was had out of those big one-time donations is long since gone. I've said this in here before, but CDC could easily have built into the contract language requiring "extras" to be offered to TCU fans first, at face price, before reselling for profit. Could've done that from day one.
It's like going to the buffet and being fifth in line, and having nothing left but that [ Finebaum ]ty jello with the fruit in it by the time you get your plate because the greedy fat [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] in front of you took 7 dinners each before you got your turn and then fed the extras to their dogs.

TCUdirtbag

Let’s talk about The Carter...

It’s where fans show up late and leave early.

It’s where luxury takes priority over home field advantage.

It’s where you get to meet new faces every week thanks to the hoards of stubhub sales that TCU incentivizes with priority points.

It’s where our lower section behind the team bench is always the most empty and least enthusiastic section in the stadium.

ab6.gif

tcumaniac

Bad logic. Can't consistently put a good product on the field when you struggle to recruit because kids visit a game and see the atrocity we have behind our home bench.

jake102

Bad logic. Can't consistently put a good product on the field when you struggle to recruit because kids visit a game and see the atrocity we have behind our home bench.

I fully admit this is loser logic - but the sooner you come to grips that TCU is never going to have a stadium of 40K+ purple fans for every game, the better. The percentages just don't work out for a school that has an enrollment of 10K. There's a certain (large) percentage of 5 star players who have no interest in a 50K stadium, a little less so with 4 stars but still most of them aren't interested in a small fan base. Especially when the head coach is not a player's coach.

westoverhillbilly

As I see it, this is a good news/bad news scenario in that we're a small (albeit rich) school trying to play on a much bigger stage and just don't have the numbers to fill all the seats except in rare circumstances.. I know lots of non TCU people who buy club and lower bowl season tickets just to come a time or two a year to get buzzed at the bar and to see and be seen and they nor their spouses care not one iota about the game or even the sport of football.. Our alternative was to stay in the old stadium and not take these non-fans' money and stay in the MWC.. Sad, but you do have to provide seating for these non fans in order to get their large sums of money even if they're not going to sit in them.. Every game there's bunches of apathetic people in the club drinking and socializing while some really exciting football is being played within 50 feet of them and they could care less..

Personally, I'm glad we take their money (and alot of it) in exchange for providing these apathetic folks a social scene.. God help the frogdom if we aren't a hot ticket and these non-fans take their money elsewhere..

netty2424

Yah I don’t think “broke ass dudes” is the way to look at it. There are plenty of people in AGCS that can pay the necessary funds to make their way into the west side lower bowl if they wanted to. Some people just don’t see the value in it. It’s all perspective I suppose.

Another way to look at it is, reduce the donation amount by using the space more efficiently. Add more seats. The space is gaudy. You’ll get more fans in the area who won’t have to pay as much per seat(donation plus ticket), those who leave will probably leave anyways and then you’ll hopefully have more people remaining in the section.

School gets their money, GP gets a fuller section behind the bench, more fans get better access. Seems like a win/win/win.

Purp

Yah I don’t think “broke ass dudes” is the way to look at it. There are plenty of people in AGCS that can pay the necessary funds to make their way into the west side lower bowl if they wanted to. Some people just don’t see the value in it. It’s all perspective I suppose.

Another way to look at it is, reduce the donation amount by using the space more efficiently. Add more seats. The space is gaudy. You’ll get more fans in the area who won’t have to pay as much per seat(donation plus ticket), those who leave will probably leave anyways and then you’ll hopefully have more people remaining in the section.

School gets their money, GP gets a fuller section behind the bench, more fans get better access. Seems like a win/win/win.
You forgot the part about CGP not wanting Maniac right behind him all game.

Westsider

According to Del Conte, it was originally left that wide based on two claims: The geometry and angle of the sloping for that lower level wouldn't effectively allow tighter rows that could fit chair back seats (always sounded like complete BS to me), and that the original plan was to install tables in the wide rows, but that those plans were nixed late in the game.

But you are exactly right. The spacing of that section is atrocious. Very awkward and wasteful. Should be able to fit almost twice as many seats in that section.

The Westside lower bowl sucks for sure, but it still beats sitting on that atrocious, deplorable, Baltimorean east side.

netty2424

Man I don't want to tilly, boys. Or donnybrook, boys. But this isn't an accurate picture at all. NOBODY (except maybe club box renters) is paying that per year. Someone backstop me here, but those LWS season tix, all-in are maybe what, $400-500 per unit?
The big number people payed (for those who wanted to game the system) was a ONE-time honking donation to buy priority points, so they could jump the line in front of us poor suckers who thought years or decades of loyalty would have some worth.
That big number that got them to the front of the line, would have been the same with or without flogging the system to buy extras to resell for profit. Whatever value was had out of those big one-time donations is long since gone. I've said this in here before, but CDC could easily have built into the contract language requiring "extras" to be offered to TCU fans first, at face price, before reselling for profit. Could've done that from day one.
It's like going to the buffet and being fifth in line, and having nothing left but that [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ty jello with the fruit in it by the time you get your plate because the greedy fat [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] in front of you took 7 dinners each before you got your turn and then fed the extras to their dogs.
Largely correct. And even then with the large donations, they’re so desperate to get lump sum donations now, they’re spreading the total donation amounts out over 5 years to minimize outlay and entice new donors.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Let’s talk about The Carter...

It’s where fans show up late and leave early.

It’s where luxury takes priority over home field advantage.

It’s where you get to meet new faces every week thanks to the hoards of stubhub sales that TCU incentivizes with priority points.

It’s where our lower section behind the team bench is always the most empty and least enthusiastic section in the stadium.
Don’t go then.