• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Seems dubious to me b/c it says the federation is including payments it makes to the women's pro soccer league for salaries paid to national team players. That's certainly a subsidy the men don't get, but I don't think it's proper to include that outlay in comparing compensation received for games played in the national team kits.

It does help their case that they make subsidies to the professional women's league to grow that game. If they're making similar subsidies to MLS and not disclosing it in this report that would be dishonest, but I don't think they are.

I do think these numbers reinforce the stance that, as a percentage of revenue generated, the women are paid better than the men and that is more than equitable for the women. The figure about losses sustained in matches hosted domestically is also compelling. It's clear the women aren't generating as much revenue b/c there's no way their matches cost more than those the men play, yet the operating loss sustained for the men was 10% of the loss sustained on the women.

I get your point but I do think those payments need to be included in the discussion because as Eight mentioned, without the USSF, there would be no women’s national league, or at least it wouldn’t be sustained for very long. On the whole, of this report and numbers are to be believed, it doesn’t look very good for the women and may hurt their efforts.

I’ve always felt that the women’s case and argument should be lobbied at FIFA rather than the USSF but they’ve been reluctant to pursue that course.

It does appear, given how they USSF remained silent or refused to address things often, that they were doing their best to work with the women and come to an agreement. It also appears, with the way this was released and after the WC, that they may have more ammunition than many previously thought.

Last edited:

Purp

I get your point but I do think those payments need to be included in the discussion because as Eight mentioned, without the USSF, there would be no women’s national league, or at least it wouldn’t be sustained for very long. On the whole, of this report and numbers are to be believed, it doesn’t look very good for the women and may hurt their efforts.

I’ve always felt that the women’s case and argument should be lobbied at FIFA rather than the USSF but they’ve been reluctant to pursue that course.

It does appear, given how they USSF remained silent or refused to address things often, that they were doing their best to work with the women and come to an agreement. It also appears, with the way this was released and after the WC, that they may have more ammunition than many previously thought.
Based on that Forbes article I linked in here during the WWC I don't think there's a doubt that they have more ammo. I agree that the women's league wouldn't last very long. I was thinking that when I alluded to those subsidies in my original post, but I didn't really lay that point out very well.

tcujsauce

Bayern v. Spurs tomorrow in the Audi Cup final from Allianz Arena.

Spurs beat Real Madrid (yikes, what a preseason for them) 1-0 in the first semi, Bayern beats Fenerbahce 6-1 in the second.

tcujsauce

Harry Kane came up big today against RM. Kinda excited, but it's mainly b/c of the summer slow period.

It’s been a pretty great preseason so far. Lots of good matches, and Real just getting donkey whipped all over the pitch with Fat Hazard. Love to see it.

Chongo94

Based on that Forbes article I linked in here during the WWC I don't think there's a doubt that they have more ammo. I agree that the women's league wouldn't last very long. I was thinking that when I alluded to those subsidies in my original post, but I didn't really lay that point out very well.

Gotcha. No worries.

I’ve already had buddies who don’t follow this that much texting me about it. PR blow to be sure for the women’s efforts.

Chongo94

Bayern v. Spurs tomorrow in the Audi Cup final from Allianz Arena.

Spurs beat Real Madrid (yikes, what a preseason for them) 1-0 in the first semi, Bayern beats Fenerbahce 6-1 in the second.

Is this on tv anywhere?

Harry Kane came up big today against RM. Kinda excited, but it's mainly b/c of the summer slow period.

For real. Ready for the real season to begin although have been enjoying MLS to a certain extent in the meantime.

tcujsauce

Bayern is basically playing their youth squad today plus a couple scattered normal starters. Assuming they are limiting minutes in preparation for the DFL Supercup on Saturday vs. BVB.

Purp

Bayern is basically playing their youth squad today plus a couple scattered normal starters. Assuming they are limiting minutes in preparation for the DFL Supercup on Saturday vs. BVB.
Never underestimate Spurs' ability to squander an opportunity at hardware.

tcujsauce

So the Bundesliga sold their TV rights to ESPN, and will start streaming on ESPN+ in the 2020/21 season. I'm sure that will come with more coverage for the entire league, but I think visibility in the states will take a massive nose dive. I loved the Fox coverage (I guess it helps being a fan of one of the European giants since their games were always televised), and I think that helped make the Bundesliga the 2nd most popular league behind the EPL. My hate for all things ESPN will have to take a backseat to watching my club I guess.